Preview CROWS versus port - Community Series Match - Sunday 4.10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

We structured and zoned last week and an 18th team can’t do that.
The new man on mark rule does not outdate man on man at all.
It encourages it and endeavours to break up defensive webs.
The fact that we guarded space and tried to block corridor left us open down the wings which they glided down.
Coaches need to get up with the rule changes and put less of a choker chain on the players.

They have to learn how to structure and zone, and the only way to learn how is by continuously trying it, failing every now and then, learning and adapting. Otherwise, we may as well burn this group down and start again because they've failed as a football side.

How football has evolved has deemed man on man completely obsolete, and really it's been obsolete for about a decade+ by now. After all, you're offering the opposition space to operate in and with no way to put up a reliable defence, which is just encouraging teams better than you to score freely. A team at our level is dead on arrival in those conditions against even up against a mid-table side.

It's like the idea of putting a forward in the goalsquare, a ruck that can only compete in ruck contests etc, the game has gone past it.

That short period is often enough for us to get scored against though.

That's just fixed by better players in the midfield and a little bit of structure to prevent a lot of clean clearances.

Mind you, some level of that scoring is just going to happen by that rule.

Man on man defence went out in the 90s

Maybe not the 90s. I'd have the Sydney - West Coast - Us triumvirate for those two years as the point it's all its on deaths doors as a viable strategy at the elite level.

We aren’t a good side yet, gel or anything. The good sides have flipped your surmise completely. They are more one on one without the ball then transition the keeps off triangle movement and ball flow.

You're going to be in a rude shock when you watch them ;)

It's all zones, flooding back as quickly as you can, and intense pressure at the ball carrier because that is the most reliable way to defend in this game. After all, every key tenet of defence in this game is all about making disposing of the football as difficult as possible, something man on man does not do.

They have to learn how to structure and zone, and the only way to learn how is by continuously trying it, failing every now and then, learning and adapting. Otherwise, we may as well burn this group down and start again because they've failed as a football side.

How football has evolved has deemed man on man completely obsolete, and really it's been obsolete for about a decade+ by now. After all, you're offering the opposition space to operate in and with no way to put up a reliable defence, which is just encouraging teams better than you to score freely. A team at our level is dead on arrival in those conditions against even up against a mid-table side.

It's like the idea of putting a forward in the goalsquare, a ruck that can only compete in ruck contests etc, the game has gone past it.

That's just fixed by better players in the midfield and a little bit of structure to prevent a lot of clean clearances.

Mind you, some level of that scoring is just going to happen by that rule.

Maybe not the 90s. I'd have the Sydney - West Coast - Us triumvirate for those two years as the point it's all its on deaths doors as a viable strategy at the elite level.

You're going to be in a rude shock when you watch them ;)

It's all zones, flooding back as quickly as you can, and intense pressure at the ball carrier because that is the most reliable way to defend in this game. After all, everything there ups the fail rate of disposing the football, something man on man does not do.
Without the ball zoning is just letting the ball into your back 50 with the new rule.
This can’t happen with an 18th club. Torture that and I’ll be rudely shocked.
The fact you guys don’t see is that there is a transition from being with the ball or without it.
Therefore the man on man argument is sound because you are arguing for one concept rather than adapting to the actual now of gameplay.

The problem with zones is having players buy into the idea that when its their time to go they go - for some reason there are many who stand back and watch the ball - waiting for someone else to get it - rather than get it

Its why filling players heads with too much information is a fine line. Telling a Chayce Jones - for example - about defensive repeats - can backfire when his natural instinct is to get the ball and dish it out. If he is waiting for Sloane to get the ball he may find Sloane is not in the best position

But thats a learning thing and comes with time

I thought our zones got stretched on Noarlunga oval - we seemed to give too much space

Man on man is an easy defensive position about who is responsible for a certain player - when a player runs past 2 opposition players someone must 'know' whose man it is meant to be - again otherwise its easy to sit back

Without the ball zoning is just letting the ball into your back 50 with the new rule.
This can’t happen with an 18th club. Torture that and I’ll be rudely shocked.
The fact you guys don’t see is that there is a transition from being with the ball or without it.
Therefore the man on man argument is sound because you are arguing for one concept rather than adapting to the actual now of gameplay.

Man on man isn't sound at all. It's just wasting time.

You won't get an upswing of results because it's a completely obsolete style (and you certainly do not want a style which rewards better players when you are 18th). You aren't developing your team because inevitably they have to learn how to play a zonal defense if Nick's wants to keep his job.

It's not even adapting to the now because no team chooses to plays it. A defense has been found out for being lazy, or there has been a turnover if its man on man, and at that point, you expect the offense goals. If your talking about adapting to now, its pressure the ball carrier, flood back as quickly as you can to cut off space and play a zonal defense to pick off errors.

Man on man achieves literally nothing outside of guaranteeing we're going to get pick 1. We might even be worse then Melbourne 2012 with that plan.

If we are as bad mid way through 2021 this rebuild is looking a failure.

Need to see improvement this year. Not make the 8, could still be bottom four. But need to see definite improvements in method and quality of play.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's going to be hard to judge, we'll be bad and on the end of some huge beltings. For me, I think it's more going to be about individual players showing what they've got.

Man on man isn't sound at all. It's just wasting time.

You won't get an upswing of results because it's a completely obsolete style (and you certainly do not want a style which rewards better players when you are 18th). You aren't developing your team because inevitably they have to learn how to play a zonal defense if Nick's wants to keep his job.

It's not even adapting to the now because no team chooses to plays it. A defense has been found out for being lazy, or there has been a turnover if its man on man, and at that point, you expect the offense goals. If your talking about adapting to now, its pressure the ball carrier, flood back as quickly as you can to cut off space and play a zonal defense to pick off errors.

Man on man achieves literally nothing outside of guaranteeing we're going to get pick 1. We might even be worse then Melbourne 2012 with that plan.
I’m seeing it today

If we are as bad mid way through 2021 this rebuild is looking a failure.

Need to see improvement this year. Not make the 8, could still be bottom four. But need to see definite improvements in method and quality of play.

Play the brand of Footy we played yesterday for 22 games, and we will be happy. Still can't see us playing Finals as the kids will fatigue over the year.

Still a way to go, but some good signs there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back