Game Day Crows Vs Demons: Youth and home truths.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s my take too hope everyone agrees tilthorpe McDonald and best mid with gws pick then next best mid at pick 20 . Two kpf a must forward line stinks ,tex gone lynch nearly gone, fog not the answer. A must. And we will be last next year get Horne special as player but this year draft for kpfs so we need just load up on them cause our forward line at present is non existent
positives - Schoenberg 12 in first game looks the real deal. Sholl - 9 in first half before being rested McAsey - going be a gun anyone knows footy can see it hamil - we all know will be a gun. Himelbourg starting put it together, best game persist with him. Laird midfield really good

negatves. McHenry still on fence but jones I am really concerned about, should be producing more now no excuses.
2 key forwards and an elite small combined with 2 quality mids is needed to become competitive. Hamill, Sholl, Schoenberg gonna be very good. V concerned with both jones and mchenry.
Our priority should be to clear cap space, draft and trade our asses off for 2 years, find an elite fitness coordinator and a quality coaching team. Only up from here.

That’s my take too hope everyone agrees tilthorpe McDonald and best mid with gws pick then next best mid at pick 20 . Two kpf a must forward line stinks ,tex gone lynch nearly gone, fog not the answer. A must. And we will be last next year get Horne special as player but this year draft for kpfs so we need just load up on them cause our forward line at present is non existent
positives - Schoenberg 12 in first game looks the real deal. Sholl - 9 in first half before being rested McAsey - going be a gun anyone knows footy can see it hamil - we all know will be a gun. Himelbourg starting put it together, best game persist with him. Laird midfield really good

negatves. McHenry still on fence but jones I am really concerned about, should be producing more now no excuses.
Fog is not the answer now?

Is it just me or is Keays the love child of Mat Connell and Tony modra ?

During the 90s in Adelaide, there is many unclaimed Father/sons that the Crows could have had.

At the turn of the century, this took place in Perth.

There's clearance numbers, then there's quality clearances.
Maybe but we were in the fight tonight....have to go back a long way to see when we last won the centre clearance count....and Melbourne's midfield personnel is pretty bloody decent by AFL standards.

We are so bereft of confidence - as would any side that hadn't won in a year - that the players have little confidence in each other, this is particularly evident in the back line where we have three players go for the spoil due to not being confident your team mate will win the contest. Due to this we over commit and then lose the loose ball.

I was seduced by the changes and thought we may win but in reality we brought in half the side and had two noobies and lost Hamill in the first qtr plus Smith before the game - as painful as it is "small victories" such as Scholl and Shorenburger are positives.

Plus there is a definite light in Elliot Hinderburger - starting to gain some confidence in himself and display some tricks.

At least we chose the worst year in our lives to combust!!

Stay positive!

Anzacpaul said: " With the amount of youth in this side, we were never going to run out a full game. "
+
Thus what happens with so many kids playing.
Paul/Geoffa, I respect both of you, but no, it's not the players' fault.
Please do not blame the players' relative youth for their inability to run out a game.
Youth + inexperience can create nerves that make for fumbles/hesitation/poor decisions, but it's the duty, the responsibility, of the Club's fitness Staff to make them ready to run out 4 x 16-minute quarters.
The Crows' rookies played a HALF of reduced-time football.
It is obvious their fitness base is sub-standard, so please blame Hass and Co. for the blow-out result.

There are several other Clubs with kids of the same age/experience, from the same drafts even, who would (and have) run rings around our rookies for skill levels (poor Coaching, not enough practice) and fitness.
I feel sorry for eg Chayce Jones who has talent and flair but is struggling at AFL level and done by half-time. I think he'd be a star at Brisbane and even (though I hate to say it) PA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’ll make it.
Oh ok. So a young player completely down on confidence isn’t given any leeway because of his draft pick number? This is why the Crows never rebuild, our supporters jump off young players if they aren’t seeing consistency within their first 20 games.

Watch out Schoenberg when you have a down patch.

McHenry has mongrel.. but doesn’t look a first rounder
Yeah, in previous posts I've described MCHenry's mongrel as a lot of huff-n-puff which ain't blowing a lot of AFL houses down.
I'd like to see less of it and more effectiveness with the ball.
Right now he's a pest, but doesn't have the talent which would make more of a statement and earn some respect from teammates, oppo players and supporters. Giving Max a shove when the ball is dead is bluster and bravado --- I'd like to see McHenry absolutely flatten Max with a shirtfront, when Max has the ball. I could cheer that, like Doedee's sideways mauling a couple of weeks ago.

Murphy just does not know how to position himself offensively.
I thought that was true for most of the side, tonight.
Their positioning is extremely poor and running into space for a switch almost non-existent; just look at the number of times they went down the near side in the last. That's on the Coach/es.

Fitness is his biggest issue.
He's a lead up forward who can take a mark and kick a goal.
Struggles with repeated efforts chasing and then getting back ready to run proper leading patterns.
Same when the ball hits the deck, he's spent.
If we/he can fix fixes the fitness he has, he will be fine. Needs very few posessions to make a difference in a match.

Maybe so—but here is the thing about fitness. At the end of the day, it is not a coach or a teammate or a physio that matters. It is up to the player to ensure he is physically fit. This is his chosen profession and he is well aware of the requirements necessary to compete at this level by now.

You cannot teach desire. His fitness has not just been a this year thing.

Unless he drastically changes his preparation mindset, in my opinion, he will be nothing more than just another guy.

Hope he proves me wrong

Fog is not the answer now?
needs to get more touches but our midfields service to him is garbage so it doesnt help.

might get better service with hollands, schoenberg, gws pick (midfielder). hopefully jones improves. draft horne next year if we finish bottom.

could trade m crouch to get a better mid.

Last edited:
Maybe so—but here is the thing about fitness. At the end of the day, it is not a coach or a teammate or a physio that matters. It is up to the player to ensure he is physically fit. This is his chosen profession and he is well aware of the requirements necessary to compete at this level by now.

You cannot teach desire. His fitness has not just been a this year thing.

Unless he drastically changes his preparation mindset, in my opinion, he will be nothing more than just another guy.

Hope he proves me wrong
I missed the start of this. You talking about Fogarty? Sounds like.

Maybe but we were in the fight tonight....have to go back a long way to see when we last won the centre clearance count....and Melbourne's midfield personnel is pretty bloody decent by AFL standards.
But we fell off the cliff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back