Game Day Crows Vs Demons: Youth and home truths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzacpaul said: " With the amount of youth in this side, we were never going to run out a full game. "
+

Paul/Geoffa, I respect both of you, but no, it's not the players' fault.
Please do not blame the players' relative youth for their inability to run out a game.
Youth + inexperience can create nerves that make for fumbles/hesitation/poor decisions, but it's the duty, the responsibility, of the Club's fitness Staff to make them ready to run out 4 x 16-minute quarters.
The Crows' rookies played a HALF of reduced-time football.
It is obvious their fitness base is sub-standard, so please blame Hass and Co. for the blow-out result.

There are several other Clubs with kids of the same age/experience, from the same drafts even, who would (and have) run rings around our rookies for skill levels (poor Coaching, not enough practice) and fitness.
I feel sorry for eg Chayce Jones who has talent and flair but is struggling at AFL level and done by half-time. I think he'd be a star at Brisbane and even (though I hate to say it) PA.
Poor fitness of our older guys is a big factor as well as the natural lower base of our kids. If our old guys were playing well they fill in the gaps where the kids drop off. That is what happens at good clubs.

So yes Haas is to blame because the poor fitness base of our senior guys places more need for our kids to sustain more effort for longer.

Out of form/unfit old guys + a lot of youth +plus one rotation down with Hamill gone = the blow out at the end.

For me there were three keys plays where laziness/fatigue cost us. All three were umpiring decisions, however obvious free kicks against us.

Laird v May. Yes you can argue Mackay put Laird in trouble with the handball. But it was an attacking play. If Laird had the skill to evade May, it was an easy run to goal. Yes May is a good Key Defender. But Laird shoud have been nimble enough to evade May. They kick a goal.

M Crouch v Clayton. Crouch grabbing the jumper in front if goal is a sign he was stuffed. It was a dumb token attempt at impeding Clayton. Clayton goals

Kaeys free from the centre break. Again a feeble attempt at impeding the player. Grabbing the arm. Probably more lack of skill than fitness as he still has the Brisbane futness base. We were about to win an open CB.

All three obvious free kicks that should have not haplened. Two of them by former All Australians.

Two of these directly cost us goals. Two if these also cost ys easy i50 entries which could have been goals.

Our guys collectively lost their bundles after these three decisions. It was a pivotal time in the game. Mental weakness crept in and the flood gates opened.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe so—but here is the thing about fitness. At the end of the day, it is not a coach or a teammate or a physio that matters. It is up to the player to ensure he is physically fit. This is his chosen profession and he is well aware of the requirements necessary to compete at this level by now.

You cannot teach desire. His fitness has not just been a this year thing.

Unless he drastically changes his preparation mindset, in my opinion, he will be nothing more than just another guy.

Hope he proves me wrong
This isn't local league... We have fitness staff who's job it is to ensure players are fit.
It's not like he can just go for an extra run or two during the week to make up the difference.

He has a plan, he would have to stick to the plan.
Our whole squad doesn't look fit. I have zero faith in them getting a young lad, who clearly has gotten by on his strength and skill to this point in his life, to peak fitness.

He is an asset that we need to maximize.

This isn't local league... We have fitness staff who's job it is to ensure players are fit.
It's not like he can just go for an extra run or two during the week to make up the difference.

He has a plan, he would have to stick to the plan.
Our whole squad doesn't look fit. I have zero faith in them getting a young lad, who clearly has gotten by on his strength and skill to this point in his life, to peak fitness.

He is an asset that we need to maximize.

We will disagree on this. Unless he wants to be fit, he ain’t gonna be fit.

Fitness at the professional ranks is a year round commitment. We will agree he cannot get himself into shape in the middle of the season. This was stuff he should have done months ago.

So far I see zero evidence he is self motivated enough to be anything other than just another guy.

He can feel free to prove me wrong

Last edited:

I turned off after about mid-way through the final term. Throw in on Melb HF right flank, tap down to Petracca who easily evades / pushes off any of our feeble attempts to impede him, he has time to look up and, lo and behold, has two teammates standing side by side 25 m out on a slight angle to choose from. This is poor at any level, but absolutely unacceptable at AFL level. I don't care whether players are 18 or 30, someone had to see these guys free and cover them - this is basic football positioning / knowhow (from junior level stuff). I'm not sure Nicks needs to be coaching basic footy nous and awareness - I feel for him if that is the case. It means our recruiters have got it wrong on the footy IQ front, let alone on the skills side. Needless to say the floodgates opened after this point.

We will disagree on this. Unless he wants to be fit, he ain’t gonna be fit.

Fitness at the professional ranks is a year round commitment. We will agree he cannot get himself into shape in the middle of the season. This was stuff he should have done months ago.

So far I see zero evidence he is self motivated enough to be anything other than just another guy.

He can feel free to prove me wrong
Wanna see some sad stats? Go look at the Telstra tracker for KM run.

McHenry
Keays.
Seedsman
Himmelberg

Where are the key senior players in that list leading the way fitness wise.

Lets look at sprint efforts.
Crocker with 22. Ex Collingwood.
Scholl with 18. Jr player.
None of our other players cracked the top 5.

Players are a result of their environment.
If he was dropped into a team where everyone was doing the right thing and had been taught elite preparation standards he either learns those lessons or doesn't last.

The crows? Ha.. if you're already fit. Cool. Otherwise? We can't help ya.

Wanna see some sad stats? Go look at the Telstra tracker for KM run.

McHenry
Keays.
Seedsman
Himmelberg

Where are the key senior players in that list leading the way fitness wise.

Lets look at sprint efforts.
Crocker with 22. Ex Collingwood.
Scholl with 18. Jr player.
None of our other players cracked the top 5.

Players are a result of their environment.
If he was dropped into a team where everyone was doing the right thing and had been taught elite preparation standards he either learns those lessons or doesn't last.

The crows? Ha.. if you're already fit. Cool. Otherwise? We can't help ya.

Whether we need new coaches or not has zero to do with players—any professional player—having the requisite desire and self motivation to succeed.

“our fitness coaches are crappy” is not an excuse for his game shape last year, last night, or next year.

Nor is it an excuse for any of the players listed alongside him.

Not hard to figure out why we are 0-10 on our way to 0-17 stocked with a bunch of underwhelming youngsters.

Coaching is a component but the more culpable management contribution is apparently drafting players that need to be hand held to get themselves in shape at the professional level.

There is zero chance I will ever let them off the hook for that second half “performance”.

Whether we need new coaches or not has zero to do with players—any professional player—having the requisite desire and self motivation to succeed.

“our fitness coaches are crappy” is not an excuse for his game shape last year, last night, or next year.

Nor is it an excuse for any of the players listed alongside him.

Not hard to figure out why we are 0-10 on our way to 0-17 stocked with a bunch of underwhelming youngsters.

Coaching is a component but the more culpable management contribution is apparently drafting players that need to be hand held to get themselves in shape at the professional level.

There is zero chance I will ever let them off the hook for that second half “performance”.
I look at situations like this as a group.

Is the whole group failing? If so, why?
Who are the outliers? The ones that haven't been part of the group for long enough to learn bad habits.

If he was doing the same thing in a team that was putting in. I wouldn't be defending him.

I agree, completely.
Fog's development has been less-than-impressive. We'll never know how much of that is the fault of the Club (fitness demands, playing him out-of-position) or his own efforts to improve.
Jones worries me, too. He certainly shows flashes of brilliance, but he's scrawny and goes missing for long periods. Is that tank, training, or ability?
By contrast, Schoenberg and Sholl look like real footy players. The Hindenberg showed some grunt as well.

I agree, completely.
Fog's development has been less-than-impressive. We'll never know how much of that is the fault of the Club (fitness demands, playing him out-of-position) or his own efforts to improve.
Jones worries me, too. He certainly shows flashes of brilliance, but he's scrawny and goes missing for long periods. Is that tank, training, or ability?
By contrast, Schoenberg and Sholl look like real footy players. The Hindenberg showed some grunt as well.

I agree, completely.
Well Fog's forward coach hasn't since he started....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, completely.
Short memories. Jones did exactly this in his early games.

We are the last club that I'd want my child to go to if I was a parent of a draftee.

Oh ok. So a young player completely down on confidence isn’t given any leeway because of his draft pick number? This is why the Crows never rebuild, our supporters jump off young players if they aren’t seeing consistency within their first 20 games.

Watch out Schoenberg when you have a down patch.

Fairly confident that my opinion has no bearing on what the club do with a player. If it did then we wouldn’t have Mackay looming as a future club games record holder.

Chayce’s numbers have been absolutely awful. He’s had enormous TOG and really high midfield minutes as well as being tried in other positions. He can’t get near it, and when he’s not near it he doesn’t seem to be having any other impact on the game. It’s hugely concerning.

Fairly confident that my opinion has no bearing on what the club do with a player. If it did then we wouldn’t have Mackay looming as a future club games record holder.

Chayce’s numbers have been absolutely awful. He’s had enormous TOG and really high midfield minutes as well as being tried in other positions. He can’t get near it, and when he’s not near it he doesn’t seem to be having any other impact on the game. It’s hugely concerning.
If you watched him early in the year, he'd pick the ball up and burst. Got caught a few times but he tried.

Now, he picks it up and looks like a deer in the headlights. That's confidence. And the longer we leave him in there the harder the road becomes to get him back.

He IS a good young talent, im very confident with that..... But we need to give him a spell

To date, Fog is not the answer.
I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Fog could be the one to provide a presence up forward but I'm rapidly losing faith. Melbourne's defence broke through two of his tackles last night as though he wasn't there. He's a big, strong guy. That shouldn't happen. It looked lazy more than anything. At other times he looked timid. Maybe he needs a rocket under him. I can't figure it out. He's had enough time to acclimatise to senior footy and he's just not doing it. He's a lovely kick but he needs more than that.

On the other hand I thought it was Himmelberg's best effort. He really worked hard, as did just about everyone else. It was a good effort for three quarters.

Tex is obviously near the end and if the Fog doesn't come through we're going to need a major overhaul of the forward line as well as the midfield.

When you've got a kid like Fog who isn't naturally gifted athletically, you put him with the PPT guys that we have its a huge concern.

Last night he just looked frustrated with himself, the head dropped very early on

Murph should have had 10 tackles.

Twice he bumped when he shoukd have tsckled. Both times he bumped the player to their advantage.

I am a Murphy fan. But not the first time I have noticed this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Agree on the first one .... the second was not too bad as he would have had to lunge in front on ... he hit him pretty well but just didn't force the out of bounds on the full . I reckon that could have tested his shoulder trying to stick that to full effect .

He has actually been pretty good over the last 3 weeks combined and is the furthest thing from our major concern at the moment .

His bust a nut effort to chase , tackle and pressure in a forward line that offers very little makes his task all the much harder .

Definitely marching into " The New " whipping boy status on this board ... i am happy to judge him at the end of 2022 .

Which makes a big change from earlier this decade when we were the first club you’d want your child to go to.
Even 4 years ago we'd have been amongst the better ones.

The cliff has been steep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back