Review Crows vs NM: The Good, the bad and ... the stultifyingly DULL.

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordon Butts

• Jordan Dawson

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Will Hamill

• Jackson Hately

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones (sub)

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Wayne Milera

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Once more we rotated only four midfielders through the centre square.

Noble did similar (apart from 3 CBAs combined for Tarryn Thomas and Powell) but otherwise were shared by their four main mids.

What is with our and our disciples love affair with this structure? Is it the success both clubs are having?

We're not a Melbourne with a dream combo in their prime
I was just about to write the same. We send Crouch back and basically just have Schoenberg replace him. Hately 0 CBA where we know he is better. Soligo 0 CBA, Rachelle struggling and gets 0 CBA. They seem to have this theory that it HAS to have at least 2 of Laird, Keays and Crouch every time

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fogarty superb, particularly working in tandem with Tex.

Parnell good again. Soligo's hands - chef's kiss.

North are the worst team I've ever seen. Wowee they are horrific.
North really don’t have any key position defenders and whats with Phillips , the mid they drafted a few years back in the top 5 picks . He was talked up a lot prior to being drafted .

Fun fact: our three biggest wins under Nicks have all come against North.

We've not beaten any other side by 40 points or more during his tenure.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Murray a big inside mid!

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wasn't too unhappy with him as the 2nd ruck.

Speeding around inside a 5m circle throwing himself around, a few big tackles it looked like, some scrambled balls, mostly too advantage.

Seemed... reasonable? Definitely looked different.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
There is a post in the North game-day thread that just reads "Rowe is anal cancer". :grimacing:
Oh yeah?
Right ...

Glenn Archer walks into a bar with a fugly frog on his head.
The barman says: "Whereja get that?"
... and the frog replies: "It started out as a wart on my butthole".

Take THAT, anti-Rowe NM poster!! :whistle:

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty much went to script. They're bad and we're not great, but still in a much better position than them.

Didn't learn a lot other than Fogarty finally starting to click.

Good:

Fog best game easily. Looking like an afl footballer.

Dawson. I would happily part with a top 10 pick each year to keep bringing in more Dawsons. Can play anywhere and just always does the right thing.

Tex

Berry is a tackling machine! He's doing well outside of that aspect too.

Defenders good and special mention to Murray, who has really done a U turn lately. Will be massive if he comes on and I really liked him in the middle. He's got pace and hunger once the ball hits the ground.

Soligo and Parnell keep showing signs that they're keepers. Didn't have much influence, but not really about that.

I liked Schoenberg's return. Getting the ball at speed is his thing and he obviously provides a different type to Crouch. Leave him in.

Didn't mind Hinge. Not sure why the negativity today. He stuffed one kick but aside from that was strong. I really like this guy and we shouldn't drop him anymore.

Bad :

McHenry keeps giving nothing.

Rachele looks shot. Honestly doesn't look fit enough but he's also low on confidence.

Hamill another head knock. I really like him and he was having a decent game. I fear for his head and consequently his career. Doesn't protect himself well enough.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
North really don’t have any key position defenders and whats with Phillips , the mid they drafted a few years back in the top 5 picks . He was talked up a lot prior to being drafted .
Copped a really bad dose of Glandular Fever on the eve of the opening round and still not right

Capture.PNG

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good to see everything come together with such a good performance from the forwards and solid from our young mids.
Skills are still down, but this is close to the best team we have, so just need to get the games into them.
Effort was there as usual.
We had to be better then North, and we are. Next we have to be better than Collingwood and Hawthorn.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Pretty much went to script. They're bad and we're not great, but still in a much better position than them.

Didn't learn a lot other than Fogarty finally starting to click.

Good:

Fog best game easily. Looking like an afl footballer.

Dawson. I would happily part with a top 10 pick each year to keep bringing in more Dawsons. Can play anywhere and just always does the right thing.

Tex

Berry is a tackling machine! He's doing well outside of that aspect too.

Defenders good and special mention to Murray, who has really done a U turn lately. Will be massive if he comes on and I really liked him in the middle. He's got pace and hunger once the ball hits the ground.

Soligo and Parnell keep showing signs that they're keepers. Didn't have much influence, but not really about that.

I liked Schoenberg's return. Getting the ball at speed is his thing and he obviously provides a different type to Crouch. Leave him in.

Didn't mind Hinge. Not sure why the negativity today. He stuffed one kick but aside from that was strong. I really like this guy and we shouldn't drop him anymore.

Bad :

McHenry keeps giving nothing.

Rachele looks shot. Honestly doesn't look fit enough but he's also low on confidence.

Hamill another head knock. I really like him and he was having a decent game. I fear for his head and consequently his career. Doesn't protect himself well enough.

So far I’ve read on this board that Rachele has been ‘Nicks’d, or that he’s not fit enough.

He’s 19

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You have to remember that it’s not just that Noble is a bad coach, it is that he’s not even a coach

He was plucked from a non-coaching role, where he hadn’t been in a coaching role of any kind in over a decade

He was a mediocre assistant coach who had been out of coaching for over ten years!

So I contend he’s less of a bad coach as not a coach at all
Not making a lot of sense, the coach isn't a coach...

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Berry with some absolutely monster stats, with only 64% game time. This is actually pretty standard game time for him so far this season, so it looks like he’s been utilised really well, they’ve found a sweep spot in terms of getting him into the stoppages and then getting him off when there’s less of an opportunity to affect the game

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Tarryn Thomas for Wayne Milera and a pick upgrade?
No, thanks.

Did you see Thomas' Instagram post earlier in this thread, where he bragged about earning 10X more than some critic will ever earn? Very poor reply.
1) You're on a hiding to nothing with these games. Win and so you should. Lose and it's club in crisis. There's no winning.

2) Liked us trying Murray in ruck if only because it's a structural change. We're usually so blinkered with our thinking. Hope to see more of these experimental moves in the back end of the season. Find out what we have.
1) Yeah, was thinking same when we got away from them, ie so we should.

2) Yes, if we can find someone to fill in back for him when he's on the ball/in ruck.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Berry with some absolutely monster stats, with only 64% game time. This is actually pretty standard game time for him so far this season, so it looks like he’s been utilised really well, they’ve found a sweep spot in terms of getting him into the stoppages and then getting him off when there’s less of an opportunity to affect the game

Needs to be the heir to Laird as the primary distributor from contests, in time. Already is putting up similar tackle numbers and elite pressure

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Fun fact: our three biggest wins under Nicks have all come against North.

We've not beaten any other side by 40 points or more during his tenure.
Says a lot about Nicks' loss-minimisation strategy :huh:, doesn't it?
Don't win by plenty (except NM), don't lose by plenty.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
A couple of posts on here alluding to Rachelle being down on confidence. I kept an eye on him during the game and especially after the game and during the song. Just watching him makes me feel he isnt happy at the Crows. Even after a goal he doesn't smile. After the game he seemed to separate from the main group. The only time I saw him smiling was when he was signing autographs. He just doesn't seem to be a happy chappy. I hope I wrong.

Anyone else noticing this or is it my imagination.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
You have to remember that it’s not just that Noble is a bad coach, it is that he’s not even a coach

He was plucked from a non-coaching role, where he hadn’t been in a coaching role of any kind in over a decade

He was a mediocre assistant coach who had been out of coaching for over ten years!

So I contend he’s less of a bad coach as not a coach at all
It was odd when they announced him since all the talk had been about him wanting to be a CEO, not a coach. Part of me thinks that due to cuts to the cap on the football department they wanted a very experienced person who had done a bit of everything to bolster the lines and help with other inexperienced areas (like List Management where they had the guy from Champion Data in), which Noble certainly has, it's just that the coaching bit is the part he has never been great at.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
A couple of posts on here alluding to Rachelle being down on confidence. I kept an eye on him during the game and especially after the game and during the song. Just watching him makes me feel he isnt happy at the Crows. Even after a goal he doesn't smile. After the game he seemed to separate from the main group. The only time I saw him smiling was when he was signing autographs. He just doesn't seem to be a happy chappy. I hope I wrong.

Anyone else noticing this or is it my imagination.
maybe they’ e told him they are using him as a trade chip in a deal for JHF…

and he knows he’ll be at North next year!..

Back