Crows Wiz Wok GF Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I would bring in Ricciuto and Carey in at the expense of Andrew Crowell and James Gallagher

Would it surprise a lot of you if he plays??????

:D

Could still be one of those little mind games teams play with each other, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. Best place for him to have a run before the season proper.

He's a big game player and it would benefit the youngsters to have his experience and poise on show.

I would bring in Ricciuto and Carey in at the expense of Andrew Crowell and James Gallagher

Would it surprise a lot of you if he plays??????

:D

No. Carey should play. Looks like we could be right - Marsh has also been named. I'll be interested to see if Begley gets a run.

Jerome

I have a couple of worries:

Forward Line: While Perrie has been a revelation during the Wizard Cup, I still feel we are far from settled. Stevens is not match fit and is out of form, although he showed glimpses in the 4th quarter against the roos. I also think we don't play enough crumbers around our key forwards. I think our structure needs a lot of work

Defense: The height of Collingwood in the forward line could prove the difference. At times they play 4 talls in their forward line with Rocca, Fraser, Tarrant and Molloy. The 2 that worry me the most are Rocca and Fraser. Kenny can match up on one of them but the other will cause a major mismatch that can be exploited.

I think we can win the midfield but MUST keep Buckley reasonably quite.

Cheers.

I agree with both points, we need more from Burns and Bode. Resting Roo/Goody and Mcleod up forward this week might produce more goals. Defence is a worry - we should have played Rutten in defence from the start of the Wok.

Jerome

Reckon the Crows will leave out Marsh (well they bloody better!), Begley, Gallagher & Crowell.

With Carey probably making the 24, he should start up forward with Perrie & Stevens to stretch the Pies. Along with Riccuito, Burns & Edwards would make for a awesome forward line. Burton to the bench to make him think about being a twit the last few weeks.

I don't think Colingwood's form is as good as it looks.

In 2 of their 3 preliminary matches, they played Carlton, who had played in Darwin the previous week, and Geelong, who had played in Cairns the previous week. All teams they played missed out on the finals last year.

In contrast, we played teams which all were finalists last year and the result of the match against Kangaroos has to take into account we played in Darwin the previous week.

I think we can win the match but it may be decided by the 9 pointers.

Cheers,

a.j.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Reckon the Crows will leave out Marsh (well they bloody better!), Begley, Gallagher & Crowell.

With Carey probably making the 24, he should start up forward with Perrie & Stevens to stretch the Pies. Along with Riccuito, Burns & Edwards would make for a awesome forward line. Burton to the bench to make him think about being a twit the last few weeks.

According to Rucci's article this morning, it looks like Marsh, Crowell and Begley are named for their SANFL sides and it will be between Mattner and Carey. I guess match committie want to go attacking, hence the inclusion of Gallagher and possible ommition of Mattner.

Originally posted by Joel
Collingwood are still in first gear. We really haven't had to lift much of a finger during the Wiz Cup.
Well let's hope the Pies hit reverse tomorrow night & the Crows belt you by 10+ goals! ;)

From realfooty.com.au...Dermie Does Macca & Bucks:

Godspeed, if you have to shackle McLeod and Bucks
By Dermott Brereton
March 15 2003

Take your pick of tonight's sides and decide on an opposition player who would be your first selection to tag out of the game.

Nathan Buckley will be the obvious Collingwood player. And, equally, his counterpart Andrew McLeod will take the focus in the Crows line-up.

Having identified the target, you now have to recognise who in your own resources is capable of running with these guys.

And that is what several AFL clubs have been working towards in recent years. Fitness staffers regularly plot the footsteps of certain opposition individuals during a game. They accurately work out how much ground is covered by walking, jogging, coasting and, ultimately, sprinting. A stream of information is thus compiled that can match athletes of similar standards.

An Adelaide team identified that the most ground covered in a game of football over the past three years was that of Shane Crawford, who paced a little over 19 kilometres between the first and final sirens. No other player has broken the 19-kilometre mark. But computer company Pineapplehead recorded that Fremantle's Peter Bell covered almost 6.5 kilometres in the opening quarter of one match. Multiplied by the four quarters means he was on line to cover more than 25, which just is not going to happen.

At the other end of the scale Jason Dunstall covered 1.4 kilometres in a game he kicked five goals in. A trifling distance covered by the running midfielders. But what he did do is sprint flat out on 30 occasions for distances of between 25 and 40 metres.

So the two defining characters that play a part in how much you run are body shape and where you play. The first nearly always determines the second unless you are James Hird and physically designed to be a key forward but your endurance allows you to be a midfielder.

Another area of significant interest in player tracking is the maximum burst. This is a sprint effort of maximum pace for two seconds or more. It doesn't sound much but when you consider elite players have up to 80 of them a game, you can understand why they are elite.

But the hardest player to tag in the league is the only player who consistently gets over 80 bursts a game and several times a year has been credited with over 100 maximum bursts a game. That player is out there tonight - McLeod. He simply burns off taggers when it counts, and that is when he's going for the ball. His closest rivals are 20 per cent behind him.

Then on the flip side of the coin, Buckley is Mr Consistency. He regularly combines 16-17 kilometres with 80 maximum bursts. And on top of all that physical prowess, he has that intangible quality of knowing where to go and find the footy.

Covering the ground is one thing, matching him for physicality when the ball is there is another. Therefore it is easy to identify who from the opposition you need to cut out of the game. The difficulty is assigning someone who actually stands a chance in the physical stakes. It would be silly to tag McLeod with, let's say, Carl Steinfort (who is, I know, no longer on the list). Because although Steinfort was extremely fit, he was one-paced and when McLeod puts the foot down, Steinfort could not go with him.

Channel Nine will gradually introduce player-tracking information this season. It will be gradual because they are mindful that some of this information is not everyone's cup of tea when viewing footy. But it is fascinating and it does tell a story. Watch tonight and see who gets the job on Buckley and McLeod.

Originally posted by ajmart
I don't think Colingwood's form is as good as it looks.

In 2 of their 3 preliminary matches, they played Carlton, who had played in Darwin the previous week, and Geelong, who had played in Cairns the previous week. All teams they played missed out on the finals last year.

In contrast, we played teams which all were finalists last year and the result of the match against Kangaroos has to take into account we played in Darwin the previous week.

I think we can win the match but it may be decided by the 9 pointers.
I think the Pies form has been pretty good, but not heaps better than ours as has been mentioned. We played well to beat Port & West Coast (2 very good opposition) & some are concerned by us just scraping through against the Roos. No doubt we weren't at our best, but that was a huge danger game considering how much the Darwin game took out of us. We had many players who looked flat, but that should not be a problem this week. Good point about containing the Pies 9 pointers (highest in the comp) as that could be critical.

I have a couple of worries:

Forward Line: While Perrie has been a revelation during the Wizard Cup, I still feel we are far from settled. Stevens is not match fit and is out of form, although he showed glimpses in the 4th quarter against the roos. I also think we don't play enough crumbers around our key forwards. I think our structure needs a lot of work

Defense: The height of Collingwood in the forward line could prove the difference. At times they play 4 talls in their forward line with Rocca, Fraser, Tarrant and Molloy. The 2 that worry me the most are Rocca and Fraser. Kenny can match up on one of them but the other will cause a major mismatch that can be exploited.

I think we can win the midfield but MUST keep Buckley reasonably quite.
Forwards: Stevo will be much better with the run under his belt last week. He looked rusty & with some Jars training should be OK this week. The introduction of Carey & Riccuito (rotating with Goodwin/McLeod/etc) will give us a good spread of fire power, rather than relying on Perrie. We should give the under-rated Pies defence something to worry about. Will they play Presti on Perrie, Cloke on Carey & Wakelin on Stevens?

Defence: I don't believe Rocca is 100% at the moment & may start on the bench. McGregor should pick up their CHF, which would leave Smart, Hart & Bassett to pick up their other talls. Say Smart plays on Fraser, I'm sure he will run off him & give the Pies something to think about.

Midfield: We should get 1st use of the ball through Biglands/Clarke. This could be the edge we need to win, as the midfielders are even in talent & depth on both sides. Stinger should get the run-with role on Buckley.

Spotted this in today's tiser by M Rucci Re: Carey: "He is expected to stand at full forward, displacing Adelaide's leading goalkicker in the Wizard Cup, Ian Perrie, who has been off his stride in training this week."

Is this just Rucci stirring the pot? Has anyone been to training this week or heard anything about Ian?

Jerome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back