Women's Footy Crows Women's Guernsey

Should the women's side wear the men's Guernsey (or closer to)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it time the crows women's side ran out in a Guernsey closer resembling the men's?
The majority of other clubs has Guernseys that at the very least resemble the mens.
Ours doesn't.
I'm sure young girls supporting the crows dreaming of playing for us years ago would have imagined it being so.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
If we haven't had so much success in the guernsey I'd say absolutely.

But this guernsey is a special one for the girls and the club. Perhaps once our dynasty ends we can look at migrating to aligning to the mens home guernsey (noting last year our away guernsey was a yellow variant of the mens Sir Doug Nicholls Round guernsey).

Is it time the crows women's side ran out in a Guernsey closer resembling the men's?
The majority of other clubs has Guernseys that at the very least resemble the mens.
Ours doesn't.
I'm sure young girls supporting the crows dreaming of playing for us years ago would have imagined it being so.

It's a very interesting argument.

It comes down to what the club views as ones identity.

Every other club now has a unified look. Originally it was just us, Collingwood and GWS that had what I'd say was a substantial difference. GWS has finally aligned their guernseys this year, while Collingwood did it in 2018 (Their 2017 guernsey was like half bars, basically a Port Adelaide Wharf Pylon guernsey)

And other clubs do have slight differences (ie. 1 chevron for Freo is pink, Brisbane have more of a v blue section rather than a solid block horizontally)

But as of right now, we are the only substantial difference left. So in that way, I'm not fond of it.

HOWEVER, the club can market it as our identity being the Blue, Gold and Red hoops. And the womens team have that identity, but can also forge their own future. And we've seen that with 3 premierships.

I do feel initially we should've gone with something closer to the traditional strip. However, I think changing now spits in the face of the girls who are writing their own history and future. And if you run with the hoops being our identity. We're still living by it. So I have no problem leaving it as is.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide

Every other club now has a unified look. Originally it was just us, Collingwood and GWS that had what I'd say was a substantial difference. GWS has finally aligned their guernseys this year, while Collingwood did it in 2018 (Their 2017 guernsey was like half bars, basically a Port Adelaide Wharf Pylon guernsey)

And other clubs do have slight differences (ie. 1 chevron for Freo is pink, Brisbane have more of a v blue section rather than a solid block horizontally)

But as of right now, we are the only substantial difference left. So in that way, I'm not fond of it.

HOWEVER, the club can market it as our identity being the Blue, Gold and Red hoops. And the womens team have that identity, but can also forge their own future. And we've seen that with 3 premierships.

I do feel initially we should've gone with something closer to the traditional strip. However, I think changing now spits in the face of the girls who are writing their own history and future. And if you run with the hoops being our identity. We're still living by it. So I have no problem leaving it as is.
I understand this argument and know I might not be in the majority.
As a crows supporter I think I would feel greater attachment to the women's side of they were wearing what I have been passionately following for the past 25 years.

The fact that red is the primary colour for the front but navy for the back is reason enough to change it. And a very simple change would be effective:

crowsaflwjumper.jpg

Maintains a strong connection to the original AFLW jumper while bringing it much closer in line with the men's.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Glad someone raised it as when I was at the game last Friday night was thinking it was time that it was changed, think it actually should be mandated that all the AFLW guernsey’s do need to be more closely aligned. Agree that given the premierships there might be some attachment to it but even from a design point of view it’s a weird guernsey with its mismatching sized hoops.

Also someone should tell Elspeth Hussey that if she’s going to MC the game that it is a ‘Guernsey’ not a ‘Jersey’, jeez that sh*ts me.

The pink on the Freo guernsey annoys me to no end, in the year 2017 it was a weird move in the first place to have it on there in the first place to differentiate it from the men’s with the colour pink.

Last edited:

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I honestly don't care. I like the womens guernsey. I really liked how they did an inverse version of the Indigenous guernsey with the yellow version as well.
I do wish the red was slightly bolder, but other than that, I'm happy with how it is.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Glad someone raised it as when I was at the game last Friday night was thinking it was time that it was changed, think it actually should be mandated that all the AFLW guernsey’s do need to be more closely aligned. Agree that given the premierships there might be some attachment to it but even from a design point of view it’s a weird guernsey with its mismatching sized hoops.

Also someone should tell Elspeth Hussey that if she’s going to MC the game that it is a ‘Guernsey’ not a ‘Jersey’, jeez that sh*ts me.

The pink on the Freo guernsey annoys me to no end, in the year 2017 it was a weird move in the first place to have it on there in the first place to differentiate it from the men’s with the colour pink.
Would have to ask a Freo supporter to see if this bothers them, but pink does work really well with purple, so to me it was just a good combo of colours.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Be nice if they made the AFLW indigenous guernsey in men's sizes, rather than only in women's and juniors. It's like they think men aren't intererested.

Same with all the women's guernseys to be honest - plus you also have to factor in that it's Cotton On, whose XL is the equivalent of a M elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I ordered the largest Crows Women Guernsey possible last year, after I returned a size smaller that didn't fit at all, and it's the weirdest fitting piece of clothing I've ever owned

I was always annoyed that they didn't do the mens guernsey in women appropriate sizing.

At least with the smaller sizes the men's guernsey will fit most women, even if the cut ends up a bit straight and long. I get a XXXL in the men's guernsey, even if the Cotton On ones were true to size a women's XXL is barely going to get over my head - and I've been told they aren't, with the XXL closer to a L in other brands.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
They use everything else the same but the shorts and the guernsey. I am an advocate that whats good enough for the men is good enough for the women. Young girls do not aspire to play for the Crows to wear the girls top. The girls team should resemble the image of the club, not wear a guernsey the men have never worn. All clubs that are not sanfl or afl wear the same guernseys. There are thousands of girls who don't watch AFLW but watch the mens crows team. Port did it right and kept it the same.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
They use everything else the same but the shorts and the guernsey. I am an advocate that whats good enough for the men is good enough for the women. Young girls do not aspire to play for the Crows to wear the girls top. The girls team should resemble the image of the club, not wear a guernsey the men have never worn. All clubs that are not sanfl or afl wear the same guernseys. There are thousands of girls who don't watch AFLW but watch the mens crows team. Port did it right and kept it the same.
If the mens alternate guernseys weren't so bad, I'd agree, but I like how in AFLW, they get to wear their yellow Indigenous guernsey as the alternate, because it looks amazing. Their first premiership was with the white Indigenous guernsey. I'm hoping they get a chance to win one in this yellow one.
And their pride guernsey looks great too. I'm used to the womens guernsey now. It's seen a lot of success.

I ordered the largest Crows Women Guernsey possible last year, after I returned a size smaller that didn't fit at all, and it's the weirdest fitting piece of clothing I've ever owned
Yeh, with womens clothing, the increasing sizes usually only increase in width (in chest and hips) and not length, so unless you have the typical feminine chest and hips, the sizing can be unflattering.

Back