Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Has anyone been on one before?

I went on one last year, it was pretty good so we decided to go on one again this year. We're going on the Pacific Dawn in Early October.

What about you guys?

My aunt + uncle + cousins (21 and 23) go on them all the time. Can't see the attraction with it. Spending so little time in each place, then basically just relaxing around the boat. Well I lied, I can see the attraction. It's just not me, always been more of a backpacky, go with what iIwant to do when I want sort of traveller.

Plus it costs like $1000 p.p for what 8-10 days. I could stay for almost a month in Loas for that.

My aunt + uncle + cousins (21 and 23) go on them all the time. Can't see the attraction with it. Spending so little time in each place, then basically just relaxing around the boat. Well I lied, I can see the attraction. It's just not me, always been more of a backpacky, go with what iIwant to do when I want sort of traveller.

Plus it costs like $1000 p.p for what 8-10 days. I could stay for almost a month in Loas for that.

Whats it like there? I have never heard of anyone going there. Whats to see and do. Its obviously cheap from what you say.

Sorry but its LAOS and its a great place Ive been a number of times since 1990 the Lao people put the moneygrubbing Thais to shame.

Sorry but its LAOS and its a great place Ive been a number of times since 1990 the Lao people put the moneygrubbing Thais to shame.

And beer Lao isn't a bad drop either. But I probably prefer Singha given the choice.

There are worse choices in life to have to make though :)

I have been on three at different stages of my life. My dad is a bit of a cruise nut.

They are nice if you have no sea sickness problems, but they are so big only really rough seas should effect you.

There is lots to do and a good variety of foods on board. The problems with going to the islands is they jack up their prices when a boat comes in to port but I suppose they have to make a living. It is also hard to book the tours/activities you want to go on the islands.

Bump.

Might be going on one next month, any suggestions from those who have cruised before on ways to save money on the ship?

I know that a lot of people don't book through P&O or the others & they mark up the costs heaps.

I'm going on my first cruise in October. Never been excited about a cruise before as I'm more the go to New York or Europe sort of guy.

But I have kids and on cruises they have a kids club. You drop the kids off in the morning and pick them up late at night when you're ready for bed. In the meantime you get on it.

As I said, not my normal idea of a holiday but the kids are too young to do a real holiday. Getting pissed everyday is also not my idea of a holiday. But you're ona floating shopping centre FFS. What else you going to do?

Might be going on one next month, any suggestions from those who have cruised before on ways to save money on the ship?
I have a mate who recently went to Fiji. Every year an Aussie guy goes to this resort and runs a Melbourne Cup book. Makes thousands off all the people who stay in his resort. gets his holiday for free every year.

Always amazes me how people like to travel to the tourist areas 3rd world countries? I don't begrudge these people, they need to provide for their families. But I'd prefer to be someone where people aren't hassling me all day for a dollar.

Interesting when in Bangkok you meet these expat europeans, english, and aussies who now live there and they rant and rave at how nice Thai people are. Of course they're going to be nice - customer service is how they make a living. They know they won't be getting your dollar if they are being rude.

Met pleny a Thai who has derided and condescended westerners for being old, fat, and ugly.

Always amazes me how people like to travel to the tourist areas 3rd world countries? I don't begrudge these people, they need to provide for their families. But I'd prefer to be someone where people aren't hassling me all day for a dollar.
Haha. We went to Noumea and had a guy asking us for some money. Gave him $2 and he was so grateful and nice. The 'city' is a peace of crap though. We didn't have the cash to go do activities on the island but I reckon the beaches would probably be nice. Went to Vila (in Vanuatu) on our last cruise and that was a really nice place. Met quite a few people who I still talk to every now and then. For a teen it's pretty hard to get bored, and I'm guessing its the same for an adult.

Oh, and you may not like bingo but you'll probably end up doing it on the cruise. EVERYONE plays it. I think the prize at the end of the cruise is like $5-10,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back