Women's Footy Crunch-time Rd 9 v North @ Arden St

Remove this Banner Ad

The same Mark Stevens that got hacked earlier in the day and almost infected half the AFL community?

If you are ever short on space there is plenty of room in Mark's head.

A bit like Brownlow favourite Chris Judd’s ‘insufficient force to warrant a charge’ after his swinging elbow opened up Pav’s cheek. Pav who then had to have 5 stitches to close it back up again. They tend to be hesitant to suspend B&F favourites these days, esp after they robbed Fyfey of the 2014 Brownlow.

That tackle was not a great tackle, and had Zanker not got up to take the free, and then play the whole game out, it might have ended differently. But there was so much more to it than how Zanker landed. She had tried to fend Turbo off, she was unstable on her feet, Turbo grabbed at her again, and the combination of Turbo trying to get both arms around her in her usual vice-like manner, and Zanker falling over resulted in ‘that’ tackle.

Could have gone either way - free kick to Bowers for HTB, or free to Zanker for an ungainly tackle that didn’t look too flash. Umpire picked out the latter. It didn’t change the outcome of the game, Zanker stayed on the ground, and Turbo is free to play this week.

Fair result I would say.

A bit like Brownlow favourite Chris Judd’s ‘insufficient force to warrant a charge’ after his swinging elbow opened up Pav’s cheek. Pav who then had to have 5 stitches to close it back up again. They tend to be hesitant to suspend B&F favourites these days, esp after they robbed Fyfey of the 2014 Brownlow.

That tackle was not a great tackle, and had Zanker not got up to take the free, and then play the whole game out, it might have ended differently. But there was so much more to it than how Zanker landed. She had tried to fend Turbo off, she was unstable on her feet, Turbo grabbed at her again, and the combination of Turbo trying to get both arms around her in her usual vice-like manner, and Zanker falling over resulted in ‘that’ tackle.

Could have gone either way - free kick to Bowers for HTB, or free to Zanker for an ungainly tackle that didn’t look too flash. Umpire picked out the latter. It didn’t change the outcome of the game, Zanker stayed on the ground, and Turbo is free to play this week.

Fair result I would say.

Listening to the fox footy pod with Sarah Olle & Tom Morris (from before outcome) - Olle said she deserved the week and Morris said she didn't. Interestingly Sarah also said that she spoke to a current AFLW player and said it will be such a shame if there is an * on whoever wins the b&f if Bowers collects most votes and she said that the player told her she didn't think bowers was anywhere near winning it anyway... mmkay den

Back to the game...to address the slow starts I reckon I'd start Houghton in the ruck for big portions of the (at least the beginning of the) first quarter and either have Strom on the bench or as a nominal "target" up forward. Gemma could rotate with Roux. Houghton's energy in the middle would be contagious and unsettle Norfs mids, as well as disrupt their defensive planning quite a bit. It'd also individually help Gemma get into the swing of the game much more on her own terms/efforts.

It didn't look great but I'm not sure what more Bowers could do in that situation other than just give up on the tackle? Whilst it remains a contact sport they 100% need to do whatever they can to protect players from head injuries but at the same time when a player fends off, doesn't get away and then propels forward I'm not sure you can put the full responsibility of protecting the head just on the tackler?

If there was any lifting up or double movement in the tackle by Bowers then a suspension is a no brainer. But all she appeared to do was hold on to her. Were people expecting Bowers to see her falling head first and catch her mid air like you would a small child?

I suspect Freo could have challenged a lot more than they did but it was an easier win just to get the impact downgraded and in doing so lower the penalty to a fine.

Listening to the fox footy pod with Sarah Olle & Tom Morris (from before outcome) - Olle said she deserved the week and Morris said she didn't. Interestingly Sarah also said that she spoke to a current AFLW player and said it will be such a shame if there is an * on whoever wins the b&f if Bowers collects most votes and she said that the player told her she didn't think bowers was anywhere near winning it anyway... mmkay den
My guess is said player is at either North (and thinks Garner will win it), or Collingwood (and thinks Bonnici or Davey will win it), or aybe WB (and thinks Blackburn will win).

surely not :coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

I heard this peanut agitating about this while I was in the car. Comparing it to what Dangerfield got and how the 'bump' is now gone from the game... No, the bump is not gone.... the shirtfront is! As for Kiara, I think she was lucky no serious issues came out of it and that the other player contributed to the situation. Nice yo be on the right side of one for a change!

I heard this peanut agitating about this while I was in the car. Comparing it to what Dangerfield got and how the 'bump' is now gone from the game... No, the bump is not gone.... the shirtfront is! As for Kiara, I think she was lucky no serious issues came out of it and that the other player contributed to the situation. Nice yo be on the right side of one for a change!
And all the tribunal did was agree to the argument the impact was low and not medium. Stevens really is blinded by his bias.

Going in unchanged. McMahon and Grieve the emergencies. McMahon travelled with the team. Not sure if Grieve did? They've said they will treat it like a first final. Hopefully Trent has them fired up out of the blocks tomorrow. At least they didn't travel the night before the game this time.

Gooch, Hyde, Morrison and McLachlan all playing WAFLW. Tester out, not sure why? Going to be a weird weekend at WAFLW because the u19s are playing for WA v SA. Swans and Peel will be much weaker in particular this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I am much, much happier with the travel arrangements this round.
Going in unchanged. McMahon and Grieve the emergencies. McMahon travelled with the team. Not sure if Grieve did? They've said they will treat it like a first final. Hopefully Trent has them fired up out of the blocks tomorrow. At least they didn't travel the night before the game this time.

Gooch, Hyde, Morrison and McLachlan all playing WAFLW. Tester out, not sure why? Going to be a weird weekend at WAFLW because the u19s are playing for WA v SA. Swans and Peel will be much weaker in particular this week.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

These slow starts are getting very old, very fast!

Deplorable skills. The old take a great mark, finally, and then rush a kick on your offside (roxy) straight to the other side, or hand pass to the shins to a player with 2 on them when u have a straightforward entry into f50. Ffs. I said some weeks ago that skills were going to kill us at the pointy end and it is. No longer look close to a favourite

That first minute was terrible. Ebony Antonio's casual handball was a coach killer.

Why is the intensity always so rubbish in the first quarter? Roux or Houghton should take the very first centre bounce of every game. And the mids should only care about hunting their player for the first 2 minutes at least.

At least it's only 5 points down this time. But on the back foot every single game is not sustainable heading to finals.

Premiership aspirations down the toilet.

Once again you give a team an inch and they take a mile from the momentum. Any pressure today girls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back