Crypto Sponsorship for the AFL - and now NFTs

If they aren't holding much of it or if they aren't getting a ton of volume it sounds like they would be just using it to scoop up "free money" from people who can't spend it on anything useful.

AH!

Microsoft holds none of it.

Microsoft isn’t handling Bitcoin itself; instead, it’s partnering with BitPay, a payment gateway. Basically, BitPay allows retailers to accept bitcoins instead of dollars — and then it goes ahead and handles all of the actual currency exchange, so that there’s no risk for the retailer (the Bitcoin-USD exchange rate is somewhat volatile).

- Honestly that sounds like they want the upside but zero exposure to BTC. Good business decision, it turns out.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The question was asked and I answered it.

You can buy stuff with crypto.

Nah, you have to convert it first. At what ever the current fiat currency exchange rate is. All Microsoft are doing is running the exchange facility as well.

Edit: thanks Chief , As it turns out they're not even running it, just facilitating it.

When stuff is actually priced in crypto, that's a game changer. But that's not happening yet.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, you have to convert it first. At what ever the current fiat currency exchange rate is. All Microsoft are doing is running the exchange facility as well.

Edit: thanks Chief , As it turns out they're not even running it, just facilitating it.

When stuff is actually priced in crypto, that's a game changer. But that's not happening yet.

Here's some stuff

1669357473813.png

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Wasn't planning to post in here again, but if it's for the purpose of making people more comfortable about a sponsorship with the game we all love, then that's probably a good reason to:

Let's be honest Chief. You've been narrow minded about the space for years, and no amount of logic or reason will ever change your pre-conceived beliefs now (either that or you're secretly buying bitcoin all these years like Peter Schiff).

I could write a quick post to answer all of your points below and share how many of the protocols are better than existing traditional solutions, and you'll still be calling the space a scam.
yes because it is mostly a scam.

also the "metaverse" project is an absolute disgrace
Right.

You just made my point of "You can really tell who the boomers/people who have NFI about cryptocurrency are in this thread."

Thanks for coming.
Trouble is I'm not Boomer and know enough about crypto to have reached the conclusion it's (mostly) a scam.

Thank you for coming.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
yes because it is mostly a scam.

also the "metaverse" project is an absolute disgrace

Trouble is I'm not Boomer and know enough about crypto to have reached the conclusion it's (mostly) a scam.

Thank you for coming.
Sure, there's a lot of scams.

There's a lot of legit projects.

Metaverse has some interesting concepts in regards to VR, still in its infancy though. Opportunity is there to make big gains, as well as big losses. Just depends on your tolerance to risk.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure, there's a lot of scams.

There's a lot of legit projects.

Metaverse has some interesting concepts in regards to VR, still in its infancy though. Opportunity is there to make big gains, as well as big losses. Just depends on your tolerance to risk.
Also just tolerance in general.

For starters why are so many people so eager to applaud Mark Zuckerberg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back