Cryptocurrency mega-thread

Nah, it's due to KSM just running their parachain auction.

Everything goes through KSM now before it gets to DOT.

That's what KSM is, DOTs testing platform.

Good lead going forward for how DOTs might go in the future though.
Are you allocating any of your KSM to the auctions?

I'm not sure you fully understand then...

A quick search shows there's a total supply of around 1 billion DOT tokens. There's a total supply of 10 million KSM tokens. Hence the difference in token value.

Looking at the price of a token tells you absolutely nothing if you're not accounting for MC and supply.
This has been explained several times now lol

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure you fully understand then...

A quick search shows there's a total supply of around 1 billion DOT tokens. There's a total supply of 10 million KSM tokens. Hence the difference in token value.

Looking at the price of a token tells you absolutely nothing if you're not accounting for MC and supply.
Fair enough, I was just asking the question. Even with only 10 million tokens, I was just trying to understand why the KSM market cap was so high given it is effectively a testing platform for DOT. I understand how market cap is calculated, I'm just trying to understand why KSM is valued at where it is given what it is being used for.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah cool, I understand how market caps work. The price of KSM is hugely inflated if it is just a testing platform for DOT, so I’m just trying to understand the differences between each.

It's not inflated, it's worth that due to it's importance to the DOT blockchain.

It's a gateway as such. In their own words:

Kusama is wild and fast; great for bold experimentation and early-stage deployment. Polkadot is more conservative, prioritizing stability and dependability

Cousins_2.png

Meaning by the time something hits DOT it's worked out a lot of it's issues and is far more stable for things that are more risk averse. DOT also gets to see which projects are the best available. In time many projects could choose simply to stay on KSM.

Rather than trying to be a blockchain that is all things for everyone they have created a system where you have a choice based on what suits your project best.

KSM is also 4 times faster than DOT at present.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
This afternoon I traded all my larger ALT coin holdings into BTC. Alts did nothing the last 36 hrs while btc rose, and dipped. Figure I may as well ride the BTC train as even if that goes down, the ALTs would've dropped even more. Never had Bitcoins before today but the flex pulled me in. Will buy back in at some stage.

Sure I'm a Noob but I've been pretty obsessed with this.. It's an addiction, that's watered other addictions.. caffeine and tobacco.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
This afternoon I traded all my larger ALT coin holdings into BTC. Alts did nothing the last 36 hrs while btc rose, and dipped. Figure I may as well ride the BTC train as even if that goes down, the ALTs would've dropped even more. Never had Bitcoins before today but the flex pulled me in. Will buy back in at some stage.

Sure I'm a Noob but I've been pretty obsessed with this.. It's an addiction, that's watered other addictions.. caffeine and tobacco.
Did you trade at a loss?

Sep 21, 2008
docklands
AFL Club
Geelong

Every newbie to crypto. Love it.

Mar 19, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Probably dont invest then if you're expecting to get rich quick buy putting money in to alt coins. its a long term game.

Back