Prediction Crystal Ball- Best career of 2017-19 Draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the last 3 drafts we have picked up 7 (8 but Bonar now gone) Draftees inside pick 30.
Sam Taylor
Brent Daniels
Jye Caldwell
Jackson Hately
Xavier O'Halloran
Bobby Hill
Kieran Briggs
Lachie Ash
Tom Green

Loads of wraps on all those guys and huge expectations. IMO opinion there is much talent in that lot as our first crop at our inception.
My question, pure speculation, who do we think will have the best career of this lot. Throw in a quick rationale to make it interesting.
I'll give a top 3
1. Caldwell- I reckon he looks very complete. Aggressive in the contest, very clean and uses well.
2. Taylor- he is just a ripper. Great one on one and rebounds well.
3. Ash- That dash!

I like this kind of stuff..absolute conjecture, haven't seen half of them play yet!
So far..
Sam Taylor the new and improved Harry Taylor, he'll be around for years playing a high level game. I used to be bullish on Caleb Marchbank, but I think Sam Taylor, from a later draft, has already caught him up.
Brent Daniels, he was involved in last years play of the year; forward pocket, Prelim. Hill handballs look away to Daniels, sharpish as to Hops, whose ahead of all and re-gives mid-air to Binga. And then that horizontal right to left boomerang goal, and the MCG deathly quiet. What a great moment for Giants footy!!

On what we've seen, I reckon Sam Taylor will be special as a KPD.

Binga Daniels could be excelllent long term as well - needs to find the sticks more often but his pressure and support play are brilliant already.

Jury's out yet on most of the rest due to being so early in their development - I'm bullish about what Caldwell could be, but Ash looks to be a great young player as well. I'll tip Ash as the third of the 'best trio'.

You guys have gone the easy option going for the guys that have been around longest that we have seen the most of 😀😀😀
I love Daniels as well, met his family the night before the GF, they were champs, made me like him more! His uncle is a clone

Ash to play round 1- then to play every game this season and take the rising start by storm! After a skyrocketing first year he takes the game by storm and moves into the midfield to become Whitfield 2.0 in his third year.

Over the last 3 drafts we have picked up 7 (8 but Bonar now gone) Draftees inside pick 30.
Sam Taylor
Brent Daniels
Jye Caldwell
Jackson Hately
Xavier O'Halloran
Bobby Hill
Kieran Briggs
Lachie Ash
Tom Green

Loads of wraps on all those guys and huge expectations. IMO opinion there is much talent in that lot as our first crop at our inception.
My question, pure speculation, who do we think will have the best career of this lot. Throw in a quick rationale to make it interesting.
I'll give a top 3
1. Caldwell- I reckon he looks very complete. Aggressive in the contest, very clean and uses well.
2. Taylor- he is just a ripper. Great one on one and rebounds well.
3. Ash- That dash!
This is too hard.

I'll go (in no particular order):

Green, Caldwell, Taylor

Understand the cutoff was pick 30 but I also think Jake Riccardi will be a gun.
There’s a few people giving jake riccardi some big raps for someone who hasn’t played a game and didn’t kick a whole lot of goals in vfl. Btw, I hope they are right.

I'll go (in no particular order):

Green, Caldwell, Taylor

Understand the cutoff was pick 30 but I also think Jake Riccardi will be a gun.
I've seen a few Vic based fans speak positively about Riccardi. I hope it is because they have seen him first hand and he is the goods.

From the listed players I think Taylor has shown the most at AFL level so far followed by Daniels and in terms of hype i would think Green has that covered
My personal picks are Hill and Ash on potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m going to blow my own trumpet here.... I know I’m back tracking a bit but it’s kind of got to do with making predictions on players. Very early on I made some statements about Taranto and Zac Williams... when a few others weren’t as keen on them. I only get on here on my phone... is anyone good at locating posts from a few years ago... or tips on how I can do it on my iPhone.

I’m going to blow my own trumpet here.... I know I’m back tracking a bit but it’s kind of got to do with making predictions on players. Very early on I made some statements about Taranto and Zac Williams... when a few others weren’t as keen on them. I only get on here on my phone... is anyone good at locating posts from a few years ago... or tips on how I can do it on my iPhone.
Maybe something in these threads

Giant Pete, here's a few (and I noted that Andre was pretty big on him too):

Taranto!! Finished 5th! Ahead of De Boer, Greene and Cogs. Wonder if he'll play more games than Hopper and Kennedy. Leon likes kids who can run out games..
Taranto finished 5th in our 3km. Just behind Kelly and ahead of Greene, De Boer and Cogs. Already being a big body, this kid is looking good.
Taranto. Wow
I've learnt that Taranto is a freak
Just quietly, how good is taranto going? He has so many quality touches and moments during games.
Taranto seriously under-represented in this thread. Hopper has barely played. Taranto 8 contested possessions a game without spending much time in the midfield. Doesn't waste it. Massive tank.
Re-sign Taranto right now. Watch his games closely. Does freakish stuff regularly. So composed.
3km Time Trial Top 8. Earlier this year...
  1. Tom Scully
  2. Adam Tomlinson
  3. Tendai Mzungu
  4. Josh Kelly
  5. Tim Taranto
  6. Matt de Boer
  7. Toby Green
  8. Stephen Coniglio
Nothing personal Raymann but I think you're selling him a bit short. You've got to look for the little signs in his game.

There is an 18 year old who will be largely an inside mid competing against guys who are mostly 6 years older and longer in the system. Judging from what we already know, he would be running possibly a sub 9:30 3km. This definitely makes him a freak runner, especially at that age.

Add to this that he is agile and strong ( have a close look at the times where he has welcomed contact, absorbed it and fended off or twisted free). He's tough too (see hit from Buddy).
He knows how to find the footy and he definitely has the temperament for the big occasion. He is humble but has loads of swagger. Great combination.
I think Taranto will shine in future finals.

Another interesting comparison will be against other similar players picked up around the clubs pick
For example I was keen on Spargo and the club picked up Daniels in that draft and I feel it has been justified so far but still 10 years for each to prove me right or wrong
The other is Hayden Young v Ash
And I will congratulate the club on the way it has developed and retained Coniglio and hopefully he can take his game to another level in 2020, He looks to have the best career of the similar types the club took in the original draft with Greene the other stand out from that years picks for the club

Another interesting comparison will be against other similar players picked up around the clubs pick
For example I was keen on Spargo and the club picked up Daniels in that draft and I feel it has been justified so far but still 10 years for each to prove me right or wrong
The other is Hayden Young v Ash
And I will congratulate the club on the way it has developed and retained Coniglio and hopefully he can take his game to another level in 2020, He looks to have the best career of the similar types the club took in the original draft with Greene the other stand out from that years picks for the club
Agree. Also interesting to see how players we were interested in but didn't get for whatever reason go in comparison to who ended up with.
For instance Jackson v Ash.
I also find myself wanting the sliders to do well. I'll probably want to cheer for Robertson this year

I just watched the replay of our game against the Swans and was very impressed with our kids. Ash and Hately both looked very good and O’Halloran and Caldwell also showed some signs but Tom Green honestly wtf...what a ridiculous debut!

Like everyone I watched the snippets from junior footy where Green looked very impressive but I honestly didn’t expect him to look so ready so soon.

He played his debut like he had already been in the system for a year, fitted in perfectly and looked like he could very quickly become a key member.

His work in close and at clearances is nothing short of sublime but then he is also a scoring threat. His supposed lack of speed is not a concern as his anticipation and nous is so good he’s always in the right spots, plus he has such quick hands he can deliver in quick time.

I haven’t been so impressed by a debut in many years, this guy is already ahead of the 18’ draftees imo and is the logical replacement for Taranto although I wouldn’t be surprised if Leon gives Caldwell first crack as he’s been there longer and was also handy.

Really liking the look of all these kids, Ash is an absolute ripper but Green in the king, if he stays sound I’m certain he will be an absolute superstar of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back