Prediction Crystal Ball: Predictions for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt Rough, Jaeger, Mitchell and Vickery are significant additions but we have actually lost 4 from our best 22 last year - Mitchell, Lewis, Hill and Ceglar.

I think the ins and outs are near break even. We'd be much better placed if we had kept Sam but that's done.

My concern is our midfield depth (and depth in general) is thin. This is the product of sustained success but we will rely very heavily on our 7-8 stars. Injuries to a couple key players and we could really struggle.

I think we will finish 6-8. We will need all of our guns on the park and a couple of fringe midfielders to really improve to challenge. I'm not sure that's going to happen. Injuries to a couple of Jaeger, Mitchell, Roughy, Rioli, Gunston and Mcevoy and we could miss the 8.
When the Hawks had Lewis and Mitchell, who were the midfield depths?

First, no club has improved their playing group as much as we have. We have added 4 players who didn't take part in our 2016 campaign, and lost 2, who all could be considered top 60 -or so, at the end of 2017

Don't rate young Bradley Hill, Thai? ;)

Also, not sure Hendo will be top 60, but would be awesome if he can be.

I think a lot depends on these few guys in particular as to how our season goes - Burton, Sicily, Stewart, Whitecross, Gibson, Birchall and possibly Brand.

The reason, I hear you ask (yes, I have cross contry capable hearing)?
Well I'm more confident in knowing what we'll get from the rest of the guys in the 22. The guys I mentioned above though could have an average, awesome or disappointing season.

You could add Duryea and Hartung to that list, but I tend to think we know what we're going to get from those two more than we know from the others in that list.

Don't rate young Bradley Hill, Thai? ;)

Also, not sure Hendo will be top 60, but would be awesome if he can be.

I think a lot depends on these few guys in particular as to how our season goes - Burton, Sicily, Stewart, Whitecross, Gibson, Birchall and possibly Brand.

The reason, I hear you ask (yes, I have cross contry capable hearing)?
Well I'm more confident in knowing what we'll get from the rest of the guys in the 22. The guys I mentioned above though could have an average, awesome or disappointing season.

You could add Duryea and Hartung to that list, but I tend to think we know what we're going to get from those two more than we know from the others in that list.

I do rate Hill, and if Ross doesn't ruin him he will be an asset for Freo, and I agree with you that we need to get the best out of the players you mentioned, and could add a few more who would help the cause, Langers. Lovell and JOR.
No way did I include Hendo as a top 60 prospect, but Ty is a possibility.

However, this is just a prediction thread, isn't it?

My predictions

1. Stewart to play at least 10 games
2. Breust to be omitted for at least one game this year.
3. Schoenmakers to play down back more than Sicily.
4. Tom Mitchell to be our highest vote getting in the Brownlow.
5. Vickery to kick 30+ goals
6. Miles to player 6+ games
7. Roughead to kick 60+
8. Beat North by 10+ goals

Slobbo has us missing the eight. So naturally I feel slightly more optimistic about our prospects now. :p
I like that one considering we finished 3rd on the H&A ladder last season and have either strengthened or stayed the same with our list for 2017 imo

When the Hawks had Lewis and Mitchell, who were the midfield depths?
It was very thin and was regularly exposed as our weakness last year. Jaeger, Mitchell and Rough are stars. So long as they remain fit, we should be ok. But if they miss games, we will get smashed in the middle by some sides. We are now very reliant on a coulple, same As Geelong.

The list is in transition. We still have enough elite players to challenge if everything goes right and fringe players improve. But I think the list is a bit skewed. We have a number of stars, a few reliable types but too many fringe players who may or may not be AFL standard in our top 28. We need some of them (the Langford, O Rourke, Hartung, Schoenmakers types) to step up. Or hope for next to no injuries.

Last edited:
My predictions

1. Stewart to play at least 10 games
2. Breust to be omitted for at least one game this year.
3. Schoenmakers to play down back more than Sicily.
4. Tom Mitchell to be our highest vote getting in the Brownlow.
5. Vickery to kick 30+ goals
6. Miles to player 6+ games
7. Roughead to kick 60+
8. Beat North by 10+ goals
What's the reason you are predicting for Punky to be omitted?

JOM to dominate: media start campaign to say hawthorn rigged it for 2 years so he didn't play

S.Mitchell to get serious injury (not wishing it on him, it's just bound to happen given his age) - media start campaign blaming hawthorn

Clarko sneezes in the coaches box - media start witch hunt about Clarkson's involvement in chemical warfare

What's the reason you are predicting for Punky to be omitted?
Honestly I love Punky and think he is a gun, I just feel like he has stagnated a bit and think if he stays like that maybe Clarke will use him to send a message.

For some reason I just have a funny feeling about Breust this season, I don't know why haha

It was very thin and was regularly exposed as our weakness last year. Jaeger, Mitchell and Rough are stars. So long as they remain fit, we should be ok. But if they miss games, we will get smashed in the middle by some sides. We are now very reliant on a coulple, same As Geelong.

The list is in transition. We still have enough elite players to challenge if everything goes right and fringe players improve. But I think the list is a bit skewed. We have a number of stars, a few reliable types but too many fringe players who may or may not be AFL standard in our top 28. We need some of them (the Langford, O Rourke, Hartung, Schoenmakers types) to step up. Or hope for next to no injuries.
Hence my question earlier. We have the same 'depth' players who probably felt they had very little chance of breaking into the side. With the older players moving on, this gives them a chance. I think we will see these players working their back sides off to break into the side, now that they have a sniff.

Stewart, Brand, Lovell to play 15+ games
Will Langford to improve slightly due to the omission of Lewis in particular.
No particular reliance on JOM
Luke Hodge to prove the doubters wrong again, by returning with another good season. Re-signs for 2018
Heatherley to play 10+ games
Roughead to play mostly through the midfield.
30 goals for Vickery as a serviceable ruck/forward.

Finish 7th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Roughie to kick the first goal of the season which will fire up the boys leading to a 50+ point round 1 win.
2. Kade stewart to kick a goal after the siren to win a game
3. Hodge will do his ACL which will force retirement (hope it doesnt)

How will I die? What stock should I buy? Tell us O Oracle!

Hawks supporters constantly whinging about the loss of S Mitchell as he has a typically great season.
Opposition supporters sticking it to Hawks supporters about how great J Lewis is playing for Melbourne.
Media all over our dysfunctional backline and lack of drive to kick winning scores, suggesting we're in severe decline.
Hawthorn wins premiership from 4th place.

Yes we did finish 3rd with equal wins with top place but our percentage I feel reflected our position more accurately.
We got a few wins by individual brilliance and a mental edge from years of dominance.

Yes we have got Ty, Rough, JOM and T Mitchell but a whole list makes a football side. The whole list needs to improve to be a contender not just remain at the same level as last year.

I don't see who is really going to improve on last year.
Poppy - Had his best year last year so probably not
WX - Probably Not
Smith - Probably Not
Frawley - Probably Not
Gibson - slipping
Hodge - slipping
Burgoyne - can't see how he can stay at this amazing level
Birchall - slipping
Bruest - probably not
Cyril - How can he get any better
Sheils - probably not
Duyrea - slipping
Big Boy - probably not
Shoe - probably not
Langford - probably not
Stratton - probably not
JOR - really doubt it
TOB - really doubt it
Hendo - haven't seen enough
Burton - hopefully improve
Howe - hopefully improve
Stewart - definitely improved
Sicily - hopefully improve
Brand - hopefully improve but missing

Not a slight on some aging champions of the game, but its reality.

Time will tell how good the 4 additions at the top make us, but again it is the list that wins silverware.

I hope for a 6-8 finish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back