Science/Environment Culling of Wild Animals

There are growing calls for aerial shooting to be taken off the table as a way to cull a herd of wild ponies living in the Singleton military area.

Animal welfare groups, politicians and the community are lobbying the federal government to find a better way to manage the situation.

Hunter MP Joel Fitzgibbon and Defence Minister Christopher Pyne’s offices have been inundated with calls from unhappy voters this week.

It comes after Hunter Valley Brumby Association was tipped off about the aerial cull and told it had been scheduled for December 18 and 19.

The Department of Defence says there is not enough feed and water to sustain the 100 to 150 ponies that are living on the Singleton Training Area and aerial control is "a last resort option to ensure training activities are not impacted" and range users and the public remain safe.

Defence blamed the drought for the poor conditions, saying it unsuccessfully attempted to re-home the herd in 2014 and feral animal control was part of its land management activities.

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/...e-growing-calls-to-find-a-better-way/?cs=3731

One of many examples going on today. Another being shark culling.

Is it right? Is it wrong? Is there an alternative?

Killing sharks for attacking humans who knowingly enter their territory is very different from killing an introduced species that destroys habitats for native wildlife. Kangaroo culls are somewhere in the middle.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was a enthusiastic shooter in my younger days, farmers invited me and my mates out to their farms to cull Roo's, foxes, emu's and bunnies, good fun.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
I was a enthusiastic shooter in my younger days, farmers invited me and my mates out to their farms to cull Roo's, foxes, emu's and bunnies, good fun.
Killing emus.... bloody hell, who wpuld have thought this is legal? I would love to see an emu in the wild and you and your mates are joyfully shooting them.

Did you eat these animals you killed?

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
No parallel between culling sharks and culling animals on land.

Horses don't belong here. Introducing large herbivores into a landscape where they are not native and have no natural predators means that eventually they will multiply to unmanageable numbers within an enclosed area. Cull them, cull them all. Eliminate the problem.

Culling sharks in the open ocean is different where that ocean is their natural habitat.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Emus cause less damage to the land than most crops.
Hehehe You are a city girl and I'm from a farming back ground, I don't expect you would understand where I come from. As a young fella I made a living outta butchering, shearing, mulesing sheep, driving big trucks and tractors.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
No parallel between culling sharks and culling animals on land.

Horses don't belong here. Introducing large herbivores into a landscape where they are not native and have no natural predators means that eventually they will multiply to unmanageable numbers within an enclosed area. Cull them, cull them all. Eliminate the problem.

Culling sharks in the open ocean is different where that ocean is their natural habitat.

You don't mind eating fish and chip but FFS don't kill a shark. Sorry to disappoint you but there is a good chance you are eating shark with your chips.

Evidence for this claim?
The reality is that introduced species do massive damage to endangered landscapes and endanger native species, yet you have the same people up in arms against the humane eradication of these introduced and unsuitable species, especially hoofed animals in alpine areas, and against the humane culling of over populated native specifies which will otherwise starve or die from lack of water in agony.
Basically these people are against guns, not their stated concern.

I am against guns in the general community without a clear reason.
This one of the only clear reasons to use a gun, as a humane tool.
It is far less sensible to use a gun to protect a human from self harm. killing them for their own good. Which we seem to accept as a society, even lionising the shooters as heroes on the 7.30 news for protecting us from us by killing us?

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
You don't mind eating fish and chip but FFS don't kill a shark. Sorry to disappoint you but there is a good chance you are eating shark with your chips.

That's not culling. Culling is killing sharks for no other reason than we think there are too many of them. Fishing for eating is fine, as long as we don't overdo it and cause populations to crash.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's not culling. Culling is killing sharks for no other reason than we think there are too many of them. Fishing for eating is fine, as long as we don't overdo it and cause populations to crash.
Talk to professional fisherman, the great white shark is not an endangered species. In the 70's we almost had sharks and crocs at the point of no return. 45 years later they are at plague proportions.
In the NT they have 100,000 crocs in the wild and the same in croc farms. No one swims the ocean up there any more. In the 70's if a croc heard a motor boat they would hid, today they come looking for a feed, they even jump outta the water to entertain tourist.
Darwin-Tours-Jumping-Crocs-3.jpg

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Talk to professional fisherman, the great white shark is not an endangered species. In the 70's we almost had sharks and crocs at the point of no return. 45 years later they are at plague proportions.
In the NT they have 100,000 crocs in the wild and the same in croc farms. No one swims the ocean up there any more. In the 70's if a croc heard a motor boat they would hid, today they come looking for a feed, they even jump outta the water to entertain tourist.

I can't follow your train of thoughts. Started off with brumbies, then sharks, now suddenly it's crocodiles. I'm not sure what your point is so I can't argue against it.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

In Victoria the shark we get with fish n chips (flake) isn't the sort of shark that will eat you if alive and in it's natural habitat. Unlike WA.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Source?

Emus are really strange in their behaviour. If stressed and seeking water some members if a flock will "suicide" running into a barb wire fence until they knock it down ir injure themselves fatally. The rest of the flock then run over.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Source?

Emus are really strange in their behaviour. If stressed and seeking water some members if a flock will "suicide" running into a barb wire fence until they knock it down ir injure themselves fatally. The rest of the flock then run over.

Such bravery.

My point before was we dont have good land for growing crops. So it is irritating when i hear native animals are culled to protect crops that shouldn't be grown here in the first place.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Evidence for this claim?
The reality is that introduced species do massive damage to endangered landscapes and endanger native species, yet you have the same people up in arms against the humane eradication of these introduced and unsuitable species, especially hoofed animals in alpine areas, and against the humane culling of over populated native specifies which will otherwise starve or die from lack of water in agony.
Basically these people are against guns, not their stated concern.

I am against guns in the general community without a clear reason.
This one of the only clear reasons to use a gun, as a humane tool.
It is far less sensible to use a gun to protect a human from self harm. killing them for their own good. Which we seem to accept as a society, even lionising the shooters as heroes on the 7.30 news for protecting us from us by killing us?

I said emus cause less damage. They are native right?

Last edited:
Back