Science/Environment Culling of Wild Animals

I have eaten tasty kangaroo

Should you ever step foot on the fields used for live fire training at Puckapunyal, you'd probably never eat kangaroo again

I don't disbelieve you. Just saying I had a good bit. Fat Yak reckons the younger ones taste pretty good.
No doubt there are sections which are edible.
It is not "completely" edible like beef or chicken or lamb or pork.
If you farmed them it may be a different story.
As the saying goes "you can live on it, but it tastes like s**t":D
Roo is outstanding pet food though, so there is no waste from the culling.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
A paper released in January by Dr Sarah Legge from the University of Queensland estimated the feral cat population was about 2.1 million across Australia during drought and nearly six million in wet seasons. Feral cats had spread across every part of Australia with greater concentrations on small islands, in the remote outback and in urban settings, near garbage tips.

Each feral cat kills up to 1000 native animals a year, ranging from crickets to lizards and small mammals. Some feral "catastrophic" cats will develop a taste and skill for hunting larger prey: Indigenous rangers in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yangkuntjatjara lands caught a 6.8-kilogram cat with a 5 kilogram rock-wallaby (warru) in its gut.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Not really
One cat can kill up to 1000 native animals per year
They are a well perfected killing machine unsuited to being in Australia.

With stats like that, it amazes me anyone would be willing to keep a cat as a pet

Domesticated cats make fantastic pets. This is why people keep them. My cat doesn't kill anything.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
That's what all cat owners say
'Sparkles wouldn't hurt anything!'
In some cases I am sure it is true

In my case it is. My cat has learning difficulties or something. All she wants is to be sitting on someone's lap. She is a needy scared little cat. I got her as a rescue cat and she must have gone through some trauma.

She is scared of everything. I know this is not the norm but she couldnt kill a fly.

Also most cat owners know their cats kill because their cats leave dead birds etc as trophies for their owners.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
In my case it is. My cat has learning difficulties or something. All she wants is to be sitting on someone's lap. She is a needy scared little cat. I got her as a rescue cat and she must have gone through some trauma.

She is scared of everything. I know this is not the norm but she couldnt kill a fly.

Also most cat owners know their cats kill because their cats leave dead birds etc as trophies for their owners.
Sure , your cat is different.

I do know of some peole with cats and their cats have never been outside. But its not the norm.

In Thailand i feed some stray cats near my apartment and im friends with the apartment building cat.
But that doesn't change my mind about cats in Australia

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sure , your cat is different.

I do know of some peole with cats and their cats have never been outside. But its not the norm.

In Thailand i feed some stray cats near my apartment and im friends with the apartment building cat.
But that doesn't change my mind about cats in Australia
Yes it isnt the norm.

I would prefer it if responsible cat owning was more enforced. I hate the cats in my neighbourhood stalking around my garden. They are nuisances.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well some of us like a swim in shallow water @ waste deep on a 40 degree 99.99% humidity day. And the sharks are coming in due to global warming.

So yeah don't really feel like been the first case off the bat for a test case.

I call BS!!! It's more likely to be they are in plague proportions and the over fishing of their natural food source like small sharks.
The term ‘flake’ is an Australian fish name standard that only applies to two species of gummy shark (one from Australia and one from New Zealand). In reality, the term ‘flake’ is commonly used for any shark meat and this can mean any species of shark including those under threat.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sharks, as with most fish, really are just unconscious robots that dont have feelings. Why should we see value in them other than as a means to our own happiness?

Statements like that rarely make it out of psychiatric wards. There is something seriously wrong with you.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
No doubt there are sections which are edible.
It is not "completely" edible like beef or chicken or lamb or pork.
If you farmed them it may be a different story.
As the saying goes "you can live on it, but it tastes like s**t":D
Roo is outstanding pet food though, so there is no waste from the culling.

As a young fella if we shot a young doe, we would just take the hind leg off and give the rest to the dogs.
Cooking it we would slow roast it with strips of bacon placed over it to take the "gamey" (is that a word?) taste outta it.
Old boomers, we would not feed that to the dogs as there was a risk of them getting worms or sick from them.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
If they could be trained to ONLY eat rabbits then great
But thats not possible

Mice are probably next on his kill list. He's got a few birds and a couple of blue tongues over the years. And weirdly one time he left a yabbie on the doormat. He's not killing any threatened species.

Back