Cultural review of Australian cricket. | Page 19 | BigFooty

Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by kidgorgeous, May 2, 2018.

1. Belnakor

Belnakor Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Explain to me why CA should be holding our players up to a higher standard than the Sri Lankan board

dazza68 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Belnakor

Fremantle
    zipper on the ball is just as bad. bottlecaps from the Pakistan team was a classic. Its been a part of cricket for yonks and nothing i've seen is telling me their transgressions were approximately 10x worse than anyone else had previously been sanctioned for. Their ban was the kind of ban you get for match fixing.

Adelaide Hawk and dazza68 like this.
  3. frankrizzo

frankrizzo Norm Smith Medallist

https://www.cricketaustralia.com.au/cricket/-/media/20A51657C8FC48BC91C446549C9015F7.ashx

I found some CA thing from 2017 and level 4 penalties didn't have a specific section for ball tampering the specifics seem to be for things like sexual assault physical violence ect but i could be looking at the wrong document so obviously what i say below should be disregarded if i read the wrong document )

the only specific mention of ball tampering i could find in that document was 2.2.8 changing the condition of the ball in breach of law 41.3, this is under level 2 offenses.

If this is still under the ambiguous umbrella of simply being against the spirit of the game and thus you could charge one tampering player with a level 4 and other player with a lower level offence then i don't really see why that would change what i said?

If i looked at the wrong document and its the former and all ball tampering must be a level 4 penalty fair enough they had to go level 4 but if its the latter well we are still in the same place, it's all just opinion on whether this warranted that level 4 penalty or charge.

p.s. i didn't look at the updated version of this document as it says it was from effective from sept 2018 on and thus wasn't applicable at the time

edit.... it also appears this section they were charged under is a generic catch all for serious offenses but the exact same wording appears in all sections from level 1 to level 4, it is not a level 4 and only a level 4 charge and disrepute or on field cheating can be covered by this generic catch all section but the level charged is discretionary.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Adelaide Hawk

Adelaide Hawk Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    I can't believe the press release. They say:

1. Howard a distinct lack of cricket nous - It took them 8 years to work that out?
    2. His lack of attention to domestic and grade cricket led to his downfall - no shit Sherlock. People have been saying this for quite some time.
    3. He didn't have a feel for the job or a feel for the game - once gain, it took them 8 years to work that out?

So he won the position based purely on a powerpoint presentation. Well done CA. Why is it most people in sports administration in Australia can't see past making $$$$$$? There should be a few nervous people in the AFL right now. They're no good at paying attention to domestic football either.

psychobrown, BACCS, Smoooothy and 6 others like this.
  5. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    Fundamentally - I don’t care what Pakistan and Sri Lanka do with their players - they are both unstable countries - the ICC is a weak body - we all know this - I want CA to be the squeakiest board and hold the game up to the highest standard, they’ve performed poorly at doing that and despite having $$ in the bank the game is at an all time low. Regardless the players involved in Capetown had to face bans - it’s possibly the only thing that they’ve got right for a long time.

6. Santana

Santana Club Legend

Because we're just a little bit better than them. We actually have standards and principles, unlike the others.

dazza68 likes this.
  7. sherb

sherb Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Swans
    Because the standards CA requires of its players (and penalties it imposes for breaches of those standards) are completely independent of those of the boards of other countries. They can be either more harsh or more lax.

I really can't believe I have to explain this.............

Gethelred, The Sim Dog and big_e like this.
  8. Adelaide Hawk

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    IMHO, where they've made a mistake was allowing anyone to shine the ball. When I played cricket, the only person who could shine the ball was the bowler. This meant getting the ball back to the bowler ASAP. No bowler would have liked to carry sandpaper around in his jocks :) It seems to me, most, if not all of the ball tampering incidents in the past 20-30 years have been enacted by non-bowlers.

The bit about sun cream made me smile. When I played, it seemed all the rage for bowlers to take the field covered in thick layers of cream which seemed to disappear very quickly. I often wondered about this.

The Sim Dog likes this.
  9. sherb

sherb Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Swans
    I've only just noticed this.

What a wonderfully bizarre response to my opinion on the matter.

10. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    They were charged under 2.4.5, which is level four. And they weren't charged for ball tampering, it was the cover up and lying about it. Specific wording is in this thread about five times already.

11. frankrizzo

frankrizzo Norm Smith Medallist

There is nothing in that document that says what they were accused of can only be dealt with under level 4, they could have listed those exact charges and made it a level two or three offence which is all I was saying.

I understand they were charged with more than just tampering, I also understand ca had scope to charge them with a lower level offense rather than a level four. a level which seems to primarily be for things as serious as sexual assault and physical assualt.

Ca had a variety of options available to them, they made a judgment call and went for the harshest charge followed by a harsh penalty but it wasn't their only option available in their code of conduct so why can't I then disagree with their call here?

This whole thread is people shitting on ca for the awful moves they have made in recent years but on this judgement call I'm not allowed to disagree? As I said earlier I know this is only my opinion but it's not less valid than those who agree with the bans simply because their views are in line with ca.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Demons09

Demons09 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Yep pretty much spot on, also the fact that they let public opinion have a big bearing on the penalties , what a crock of shit these penalties were, looks like the bans will be lifted now melt downs imminent.

13. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    It’s like when players slide on the ground when the ball has stopped. They just want to get their creams dirty

14. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    Zero chance the bans will be lifted. Players accepted them at the time. And they are more than halfway through. Cricketers Association were grandstanding.

The Sim Dog likes this.
  15. Phone

Phone Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    I don't think anyone is actually expecting the entire ban to be lifted, but rather that the ban on FC cricket be removed at least for the second half of the shield season and maybe the BBL

BACCS and Van_Dyke like this.
  16. caveman72

caveman72 Team Captain

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    adelaide lightning
    I often wondered about Warnie running his finger through his hair then polishing the ball. Was it sweat or hair wax/ product?

17. Belnakor

Fremantle
    pretty good idea, but i doubt it will stop them too much. The kiwi guy who took all those wickets in Pakistan just kept a bottle cap in his pocket.

dazza68 likes this.
  18. Belnakor

Fremantle
    probably a bit of both, but like the poms nearly turning diabetic in '05 after sucking on so many mints. iirc they found a mint that basically turned into a paste within a couple of seconds then just lathered it on the ball it was practically varnish.

The longer it goes on the more i think we are realizing Reverse swing is like the Doosra - impossible to do without breaking the rules.

19. King Elvis

King Elvis Hall of Famer

Adelaide
  20. Van_Dyke

Van_Dyke Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Glory, Warriors, NOLA,
    King Elvis likes this.
  21. western royboy

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    Gee, I wonder where the arrogant and elitist culture came from...

22. Adelaide Hawk

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    You really need to question how a boofhead like Amarfio got the job in the first place, let alone survived for 6 years. It's amazing what's rising to the surface all because someone scraped a cricket ball with sandpaper. I'm starting to think there is a lot more to come yet. This is what happens when administration is unaccountable ...... AFL beware.

Ball tampering may end up being the best thing to happen to Australian cricket.

Stopher, psychobrown, t_94 and 3 others like this.
  23. western royboy

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    Fortunately for Cricket there is still a moral compass that it has to answer to - because the game is international. The AFL not so much, many secrets remain untold from the Essendon supplements saga - that was the opportunity for bloodletting that was missed

24. carloss

carloss Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    https://dennisdoescricket.com/how-channel-10-lost-the-cricket/

Amarfio in action...........

25. Smoooothy

Smoooothy TAKE THAT BACK!!

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    North Adelaide; ConeyIslandWarriors