Culture....is it soft?

Remove this Banner Ad

The ethos of "friends, family, flags" was proved successful for our club in 2018. But I think since then too many players particularly senior players, have been emboldened by that success to start taking liberties. eg. McGovern ducking pre-seasons, Nicnat turning up with a gut etc. Simpson has failed to hold them accountable.

This turn in the direction of the thread goes way beyond whether it was or wasn’t the right thing to stay over In Adelaide (although it’s probably what the original poster was alluding to). I don’t think we’re soft, but cultural problems within a club can obviously affect the team’s on field performance. We have had cultural problems before (think 2006 and the years either side of that). I don’t know whether Simmo has or hasn’t held players accountable for off field misdemeanours or failings, but if he hasn’t, he should. Surely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

oi. I know you’re a fellow gumbie but it was a valid question

Speaking of soft orgs...

Good thread. Always a chance to play "unironic use of board memes" when Trumpie is up and about. Unfortunately I didn't have "too far the other way" on my card :(

The club has arrived in an odd spot. Injuries are the biggest cause - we havn't been able to get our first choice midfield on the park anywhere near enough. This was combined with the belief we were in a (closing) premiership window. This meant best 22 players were rushed back in far too often to try and eke wins out. This meant repetitive injury and also loss of AFL conditioning across too many key players. I feel like over time our version of "match fit" diverged from AFL standard due to this.

The club was also rocked by a huge scandal thanks to Willie. Lord knows what went on behind closed doors but I feel like a lot of damage was done to the culture, that will only be repaired in time as we cycle through enough new players that weren't around for that period.

A couple more years of poor results to endure here but a corner looks to have been turned if the group can maintain this new mindset and approach under the adversity of taking a lot of L's on the park.

With regard to the player management aspect I agree that WCE seem too reluctant to move on veteran players. In the past players who were frequently getting injured or with diminishing form would just call time (or be pushed to call time) on their careers, but now we just keep them on the list forever.

As a hypothetical it wouldn't surprise me if WCE, under current management, would be attempting to retain a Brett Heady or Adam Hunter on the list well into their early 30's.

WCE also seem to persevere too much with players that are inconsistent and/or with limited ability by waiting until they've played at least 80-100 games before they can make a decision on them.

Last edited:
We aren't soft, we are progressive

It's incredibly tough to have to spend a few extra nights away from one's family whilst simultaneously being paid a small fortune

We at the eagles understand the importance of work/life balance because AFL players in general do it really, really tough compared to us mere mortals in the real world

Besides, footy isn't everything. After all, didn't we list "friends" and "family" before "flags"? 😏

This thread is a real who’s who of the first people who would have stomped all over us if the Cats kicked on and put up some backbreaking score.

Eagles won the second half convincingly and kept it to a pretty fair reflection of the Premiers vs 17th clash. They even did the angry s**t that people get off on, a few good hits, tackled hard til the end. Could have dropped heads and been absolutely rinsed but they took five goals back in the second half instead of letting it blow out.

Guarantee it doesn’t count though.

We played a s**t 30 minutes against a very good side, boo hoo. Patience is a virtue folks.

Same poster calling us progressive was calling us "woke" just a few weeks back - but when called out on it came back with the "Oh I was only joking" reply.

Bit lame really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same poster calling us progressive was calling us "woke" just a few weeks back - but when called out on it came back with the "Oh I was only joking" reply.

Bit lame really.

Yes, that said poster also said clear sarcasm was lost on the simple folk

Which, is true. But, namaste to simplicity 🙏😏

The best 23 WAFL players would be a better team than our current WCE team.

Fair amount of s*!t getting talked in this thread

action league now nicksplat GIF

Yes, that said poster also said clear sarcasm was lost on the simple folk

Which, is true. But, namaste to simplicity 🙏😏

Said poster going back to the well, then doubling down clearly points not only to a lack of spine, but a lack of conviction when playing a similar card a couple of weeks later.

Either grow a pair and own your bullshit, or just plain STFU.

I read the title "Culture....is it soft?" as more an open end question of "What is our problem?".

Some facts:
1. We have been using Covid as an excuse in the last few years while other teams can handled similar Covid related problems and emerged as premiers.
2. We were too wasteful in our draft picks to get Tim Kelly. (A lot of supporters think the trade can be done with one early second round pick or in the preseason draft as he is out of contract and Geelong cannot match our salary offered.
3. We are in WA but we seem to fail to pick hidden local gems. Our football academy + WAFL have not act as our quality player source.
4. We are relying too much on the well paid experienced players and they are injury prone. (Some seems to prefer to stay in the Comfort Zone).
5. We have some injury in early 2023 and is now at the bottom. St Kilda have more injury than the WCE but is at the top.

The nature of the WCE business is competition, if the WCE is not soft, then they are definitely uncompetitive. We have been uncompetitive for too long!

Just a thought for all the negative folks out there.

Currently only Melbourne hold a spot in the top 8 of Premiership sides in the last decade.

Cats could make the 8 but it’s going to be tough and they will fall off the cliff at some stage.

Hawks, Eagles, Tigers and Dogs all in the bottom 5 currently.

None of these sides have faced the injury runs we have over the last couple of years yet here they are languishing at the bottom of the ladder with us.

Don't think our culture is soft, we've just drafted soft players. Won't name names, but Ginbey & Long are a massive headstart on turning it around.

Sounds like some supporters here is happy to be "average". 1 premiership for 18 seems to be the answer.

"Do we want to be the best?" is the question? If not, we dont deserve to have 100,000 membership. If we do, we need to be honest on the mistakes/issues and improve from there.

Advantages of returning home:
  • Players spend time with wife and kids
  • Coaches spend time with wife and kids
  • Team trains out of their own facilities
  • Access to their own gyms, medical rooms, kitchens, etc
  • Entire organisation is in one building
  • Only a short flight anyway, so who cares

Advantages of staying in Adelaide:
  • It's 'tough'
  • There's a lot of churches
  • Hotel probably has room service

Remove this Banner Ad