Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think he's overrated from what he currently is now and doesn't do enough with the ball apart from bang it in, but he's been better than I thought he'd be.

I rest my case

#laughable

Sorry for having an opinion. The Cummins is good, the Cummins is great, I surrender my will, as of this date.

Don't need to apologize for having an opinion. Have every right to be called out for the laughable one it is though when the FACTS say something completely different.

Don't need to apologize for having an opinion. Have every right to be called out for the laughable one it is though when the FACTS say something completely different.
But they aren't though. You posted one delivery. He has a lower % of bowleds and LBW than Hazelwood and Starc because he tends to bang it in more. Has a lower % of caught behind the wicket also. If he could learn the art of swing bowling he'd be unstoppable.

But they aren't though. You posted one delivery. He has a lower % of bowleds and LBW than Hazelwood and Starc because he tends to bang it in more. Has a lower % of caught behind the wicket also. If he could learn the art of swing bowling he'd be unstoppable.

He already is unstoppable. You are just blind to the FACT

True, he's not quite as effective in conditions that suit swing.

In conditions where it seams though, he's lethal because while he doesn't seam the ball a lot, he still moves the ball enough to get the edge or bypass the bat (as in Root's case).

He's certainly a bang-it-in bowler, but he's very good at it and when you have three fast bowlers you need one who can do that. Hazlewood and Pattinson complement him well.
There was concerns in cricketing circles these three would be a bit same-same-same when playing together but they actually bring quite a lot of point of differences to the way they approach bowling. The fact is they are all class bowlers, and we have plenty waiting in the wings. For the all the s**t Starc cops - some justified, some over the top - he would be a front line bowler for just about every test team to have walked out on the park, yet sits waiting on the pine for us right now and probably goes back another peg when Richardson returns from injury (although I would say in Australia he'll be back rated above Siddle).

Don't take this away from him. Crying about being oppressed is the only thing he has left in this Cummins feud.

Also:
Pat Cummins was the star performer for Australia once again on Sunday as the fast bowler finished with match figures of 7-103 as they sealed an 185-run win that ensured they retained the Ashes with a match to spare. The pacer looked quite dangerous in the first innings and in the second innings, he was the pick of the Aussie bowlers with 4-43 off 24 overs. Thanks to his impressive figures, Cummins has now taken 56 wickets in the 2nd innings of Test matches, in 21 innings, average 15.3. That is currently the best 2nd innings average out of 305 bowlers who’ve bowled in 20+ 2nd inns. The second spot belongs to England’s Johnny Briggs with 15.35.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gun. Hard as a cats head, great presence / body language and never stops competing, has all the required attributes of a 300+ wicket sub 30 ave. test bowler. Also has chosen to take the tougher option as a batter in terms of building his innings rather than simply chancing his arm. Think Andy Bichel with a little more pace and bounce (for me that is high praise).

His stats are not representative of his performance (subcontinent .. then having to split the poles with Hazelwood and the tail killer Starc) though I do think he will learn with experience to convert his performances into more wickets. Irrespective his impact on the bottom line of recent team performance is far greater than his numbers.

Personally I do think he looks like he has tired physically a little after a big 9 months. Will be better for an off season (if he gets one) to freshen up and rebuild some core strength.

Bump ... 😁😁😁

The selflessness of Cummins is such that he smashes it in just short of a length most of the time. Holding up an end and still getting wickets quickly. Allowing Starc et al to attack. He's the banker. It all starts from him. He loses his line and length and all our other quicks lose their safety net. Once that happens results are in doubt. Therefore he's crucial to us and he never lets us down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back