Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

How good were those saffa pitches during that world cup? Lee was bowling fire and from memory even big Andy Caddick was getting them through at pace. Where are those decks gone??

How good were those saffa pitches during that world cup? Lee was bowling fire and from memory even big Andy Caddick was getting them through at pace. Where are those decks gone??

Don't take this as having a shot at you - I promise its not, I understand not everyone likes watching two neutral teams slug it out as much as I do - but they are still there in SA.

Obviously I'm late to this this, would I be right in saying that by now everyone has realised the idea of him being overrated is a load of bollocks?
Yeah I have no idea why the OP decided to start this thread. Must be trolling because at no time in his career has PC been overrated
Clickbaity title, but the OP is mostly about the double standard in people's attitudes to Starc and Cummins and I think that had merit at the time.

At the end of 2017 Cummins had 36 wickets @ 27.25 (striking at 56), compared to Starc's 167 @ 27.52 (striking at 48). Nonetheless the lavish tonguebaths received by Cummins were in stark (Starc?) contrast to the constant flak Mitch received for being expensive and unreliable.

Obviously everyone knew Cummins had a ton of potential and it's great to see he's gone on to fulfil that. But I've always felt Starc is unduly criticised for his red-ball performances, and this is a pretty good example of it.

Clickbaity title, but the OP is mostly about the double standard in people's attitudes to Starc and Cummins and I think that had merit at the time.

At the end of 2017 Cummins had 36 wickets @ 27.25 (striking at 56), compared to Starc's 167 @ 27.52 (striking at 48). Nonetheless the lavish tonguebaths received by Cummins were in stark (Starc?) contrast to the constant flak Mitch received for being expensive and unreliable.

Obviously everyone knew Cummins had a ton of potential and it's great to see he's gone on to fulfil that. But I've always felt Starc is unduly criticised for his red-ball performances, and this is a pretty good example of it.
Yeah that's a good point but the people you're referring to as criticising starc over his career are the Luke Parker types who can only remember the innings they've just watched. Warne included. Starc is a gun

Fair enough, even then I'd say Starc does bowl a lot of loose balls and can start to sook it up at times. Cummins is much tighter and has a very strong mentality.

It's easy to hate on Starc when his body language drops and he starts bowling the long floaty half-volleys. Cummins doesn't do that and never has. I guess off the top of my head that'd be my immediate response to that. Starc can fire up, but can also get a bit woe-is-me. Cummins doesn't have a woe-is-me bone in his body.

Statistically maybe similar, but that's where the similarities would end, back then or now.

I'm sorry, but you seem to have missed the point of the Cricket board. It isn't here to be correct or to have reasonable conversation; this board's the equivalent of the Bay in cricket form.

This thread will live forever in infamy. Long may Demosthenes reign!

His batting since the 18/19 home series against India is under 13, back to number 9 please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Bond is one of those bowlers where it’s just a massive shame his body failed, he was a absolute gun when get got on the park, was a joy to watch.

Simon Jones is another very good bowler who had his career cut short by injury.

Cummins is just so ridiculously good, takes wickets on any surface.

And he just seems to get better and better. When's the last time he had a really stinky spell? Like getting hit out of the attack? I'm not even sure it's ever happened in his career
Early in his career he was very economical but didn’t make batsmen play enough and didn’t take very many wickets.

His strike rate is excellent now but originally it was pretty ordinary

Early in his career he was very economical but didn’t make batsmen play enough and didn’t take very many wickets.

His strike rate is excellent now but originally it was pretty ordinary
he took plenty on debut and had six years off and the stats on telly just showed he averaged 27 in his comeback year which was 2017 and around 19 since. When did he not take many wickets?

Pretty much every match excluding his debut prior to mid 2018

For a long time he struggled to take more than a couple of wickets an innings
When he was still averaging 27 and less? That's harsh mate. 27 is gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back