Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 15, 2008
Copperhead Road
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Butt Pirates
Dustin Martin, who is widely regarded the best performed midfielder this season from last years draft went head to head with Ben Cunnington today.

Cunnington - 18 disposals (11 contested), 4 marks, 9 tackles, 3 clearances.

Martin - 17 disposals (10 contested), 2 marks, 11 tackles, 3 clearances.

Not much between them. Cunnington is building.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Martin is a freakshow, will be top five player in the league within a few seasons.

I don't think Cunnington has that scope, but he was excellent today and will be an exceptional player too. Needs to take the first option more though, as he has a tendency to get caught in possession.

Brad Roo

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 15, 2008
Copperhead Road
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Butt Pirates
Dustin Martin is comfortably my best performed rookie in 2010, no worries about that.

I just thought Bens game was especially good because he was playing on such a good opponent.

breeno

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2008
borough of greens
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
werribee, north ballarat
Both played pretty good games. I feel Dustin may have bought into the hype that he is a beast of a kid, as a couple of times he tried to do a bit too much with the fend off and got caught.

Both very impressive.

Brad Roo

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 15, 2008
Copperhead Road
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Butt Pirates
Who do you think will end up being a better player Brad Roo?

You would have to take Martin on physical attributes, but I don't think there is a mentally tougher young player than Ben Cunnington from last years draft.

Martin also uses the ball better at the moment.

If I had a choice at this point in time I would take Martin in a heart-beat. If we had pick 3 we would have taken Martin, if we had pick 2 we probably would have taken Martin.

Who knows, perhaps in a few years things will be different but Martin has been sensational so far. I still don't think Cunners has found his feet yet, missed a fair bit of the pre-season and is getting a better with each game.

Millington Magic

Club Legend
May 27, 2009
Some place
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Was impressed with Cunnington's game today. Obviously didn't have great disposal, but that can be forgiven due to the conditions. Martin, however, is a mile ahead at this stage.

Apr 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Cunnington has always had average disposal, even in juniors.

Martin is and will be the far superior player all their careers.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
BradRoo, mentioning him next to Martin does a dis-service to his recent performances.

While his disposal has been lacking, you cannot knock his attack on the ball.
Will be a good player in his own right.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Kangaroos have a win and all of a sudden Swallow is an elite top 10 player and Cunnington is as good as Martin.

These threads time capsuled are always good for a laugh.

Harry Manback

Debutant
Sep 7, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
So Kangaroos have a win and all of a sudden Swallow is an elite top 10 player and Cunnington is as good as Martin.

18 Disposals at 44% efficiency is hardly threadworthy.

Jan 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SA Spurs, GB Packers, Chelsea
It was a St Kilda fan who started the Swallow thread, so you can hardly include that in any anti-north shyte you wish to run with......

FWIW, I don't think anyone gets overly excited about beating teams who are a fair way short of the top 8. So you can climb off your high horse and chill, Roobs.

snrub

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 27, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

As far as time capsules go, we will always have the great irony thread to look back on.

SweetLeftFoot

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
Martin is a gun and will be more of a gun. Has come out of the blocks very quickly.

Ben had a serious injury pre-season and is now warming up. Will also be a gun.

Who will end up better? Dunno.

But I know which will be in a flag winning side first.

*stern face of truth*

folester41

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LFC
i like cunnington and i believe with experience he will improve significantly. physically he is pretty good and strength wise he is doing alright, puts his head over the footy and does all the hard stuff. but its his footy smarts that will increase with each season he plays, not only in terms of decision making but also positioning and the choice of desposing by hand or foot.

in saying that i wouldnt take him over martin, fortunately for us martin is ahead in just about every aspect of their games, including his confidence which is a bit concerning because sometimes he really does get caught out trying to do too much.

^^^^^^Yeah Martin^^^^^^^^. By the time north are poised to be flag contenders they won't exist. and if they do, they wont have the dough to keep Cunnington.

*stern face of truth*

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
^^^^^^Yeah Martin^^^^^^^^. By the time north are poised to be flag contenders they won't exist. and if they do, they wont have the dough to keep Cunnington.

*stern face of truth*
More like the stern face of a w***er who didn't like today's result, so trots out the tired old lines about North's 'inevitable' demise.

Back