Curnows' Umpire Contact - why the different punishment?

Discussion in 'Umpiring, MRP, Tribunal and Rules' started by Boxhead_31, May 12, 2018.

Put it out there
  1. Tushay

Tushay Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    “I haven’t spoken to Tom about it but I would be right in saying that it’s just ridiculous, what’s he to think?

“I would be pretty annoyed if I was him. Ed Curnow’s a wonderful guy and I have a huge amount of respect for Ed, but we’re talking about the incident here and it’s the same as Tom’s yet it’s a different outcome.

“I just don’t agree with it.”

“The industry made it clear last week that umpire contact is not going to be tolerated and we understand as AFL players that we are role models for the community, and what’s accepted at AFL level does seed down to the lower levels,” he said.

“So now we’re saying it’s ok to touch umpires because obviously that’s been the ruling of it.

Pretty easy to comprehend.

Brezsa and Brutalitops like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Tushay

Tushay Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Media, coaches and players wading in who lump C Curnow and E Curnow together are demonstrating their stupidity.

Brezsa likes this.
  3. Timmy from Thomastown

Timmy from Thomastown Hall of Famer

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Of the four incidents they are the closest to each other. Hawkins was fractionally worse because he was remonstrating (hence the threat of two weeks) and play had stopped but Curnow basically pushing the umpire out of the way because he'd lost his opponent is also worth a weeks holiday.

frggr likes this.
  4. Mningasimisonda

Mningasimisonda Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    That was my thought after the Hawkins one. Why does the umpire need to run into a heated situation like that and get in someone's face?

It was also my thought that players still need to go for intentional contact because it's dangerous to weaken that rule, even if the umpire contributed. But I really hope the AFL umpiring department is discussing how to approach players in a better way to avoid such situations.

frggr likes this.
  5. HairyO

HairyO Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Yeah thats the same as giving an umpire a shove...

Shocked it was Carlton supporter posting it.

6. BRWB

BRWB Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    So you are going to rely on one man admitting publicly that he felt threatened by another man before taking things further???

I can guarantee not one female ump will be touched. So players can control themselves.

Its not hard - you dont touch the ump. Do it intentionally and you are rubbed out. Simples.

7. slashin_velvet

slashin_velvet Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
    Why does the contact with the umpire rule exist?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Sir Cripps of Carlton House

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Tigers Philadelphia 76ers
    I think you're missing the point. The wording 'intentional contact' is too ambiguous. Nobody is claiming that Hodge hasn't put his arm around the ump in a friendly and jovial manner, but according to the only two options in the current wording, were his actions intentional, or reckless?

9. HairyO

HairyO Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    So in your mind its confusing between giving an umpire a shove during a game and a hug after the game?

Perhaps the issue isnt with the rules...

Mningasimisonda likes this.
  10. Mningasimisonda

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Is there a better piece of footage that shows what occurred before the shove? Because the one posted everywhere gives no real context.

11. RudyBlue

RudyBlue Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Whether it's a shove or a hug, is the contact intentional?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Sir Cripps of Carlton House

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Tigers Philadelphia 76ers
    Should a player really be giving an umpire a hug after a game? I wouldn't think so.
    The issue is that no deliberate contact can be made with an umpire. Even incidental contact can attract a fine. Once you've been stung for it, your only defense is if it's intentional or reckless.

slashin_velvet likes this.
  13. Mningasimisonda

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Hawks had the umps down at preseason (after the Clarkson incident?), so they probably got to know each other.

14. BRWB

BRWB Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Many reasons but at a basic level to protect umpires.

Remembering that many people can feel intimidated or frightened but most aren't going to publicise that fact to the world. So IMO your suggestion that cases are ony progressed if an umpire admits to feeling intimidated is impractical and takes little account of human nature.

15. slashin_velvet

Carlton
    Other teams:
    To be clear, I did say "if the umpire takes issue with it", then they should report it.

That doesn't mean they have to come forward and say they were scared, but shows a clear distinction between May & Curnows incident vs Hawkins.

The umpire clearly said to Hawkins "don't touch me", and in the cases from the weekend, none of them can even remember it. If the rule is there to protect umpires, and the umpires at no point felt threatened, or even recalled it occurring, then weeks off doesn't seem like the right outcome.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

16. Lunchlady Doris

Lunchlady Doris Hall of Famer

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Sorry mate, but Margetts statement was he was not threatened by Hawkins and there was nothing in it.

Also the Ed Curnow ump recalls the contact, so you should stop spreading disinformation.

dazbroncos, frggr and firefighter like this.
  17. slashin_velvet

Carlton
    Other teams:
    To be clear, I'm not saying Margetts felt threatened. I'm highlighting that he said don't touch me, so clearly took issue with the contact at the point it occurred.

Following that, it would seem reasonable that he would have the option of doing a match day report. I would have thought that would be a logical outcome.

And you are correct he recalled it...poor wording by me....I should have stated that he didn't take issue with it at the time, which means it is unlikely he would have reported it.

Hope this helps

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

18. Lunchlady Doris

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I have a sneaking suspicion this would have all been avoided if Margetts didn't say that.

frggr and Big_Luch like this.
  19. McKinleyISgood

McKinleyISgood Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I get what you’re saying, but just because from a sample size of 4, these are the ones you are grouping as most similar (with all instance being different) does not mean they’re automatically the same and same punishment...
    I’m not arguing he didn’t touch him, just the acts are all different

20. Timmy from Thomastown

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Nobody is saying they are automatically the same. But they are in the same scale as each other. Time will tell what the tribunal appeal says about it. There’s definitely a case for appeal unlike his brothers case which was definitely a fine only.

21. Timmy from Thomastown

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Well there’s always North. Been a bit quiet lately but as a general rule they love a good sook!

22. catpremier 07

catpremier 07 All Australian

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The media and supporters are to blame for the complete overreaction to gentle umpire Contact. Everyone was baying for blood last week when it was hawkins and now we have players missing games for contact that wouldnt hurt a fly.
    Good job everyone.

23. Deadly Outbreak

Deadly Outbreak Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Storm
    The umpire saying don't touch me does not make it any better or worse than other contact. He did not give a 50m penalty for it nor report the incident on the spot so seems to has not really been bothed from the contact. For all you know the extent of what it means is he likes hearing the sound of his own voice more than other umpires.

frggr likes this.
  24. Lunchlady Doris

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The Carlton reaction has sure been 'sooky'.

frggr likes this.
  25. Neese

Neese Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    It's because May is free to play in China with no appeal on his fine.