Current AFL Stadium Redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
I didn't see a thread on this, but I think this could be a sticky.

Basically listing all the current works being done on current AFL stadia and even training grounds.

I think this would be very useful to have in one place.

I'll get started with what I'm aware of (Not having looked into every stadium thread). Of course, some of these figures may be incorrect - so please correct me and add any other Stadium redevelopments going on that should be in here.

Skoda Stadium
Opening of Stadium for AFL (Round 9, May 26, 2012 - v Essendon)

Blundstone Arena
Redevelopment with lights and increased capacity to be completed by 2013? AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 19,500 to 20,000

Kardinia Park Development
Major redevelopment of the Doug Wade Stand by the 2013 AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 28,000 to 35,000.

Adelaide Oval
Redevelopment to be completed by 2014 AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 35,000 to 55,000

SCG Redevelopment
Major redevelopment of SCG to be completed by the 2014? AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 42,000 to 50,000?

Eureka Stadium - Ballarat
Major redevelopment of Eureka Stadium, Ballarat to be completed by 2015? AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 15,000? to 30,000

Gold Coast Stadium
Redevelopment to be completed by 2018? AFL Season
Increase of Capacity from 25,000 to ???

New Perth Stadium
New Stadium to be built and ready for the 2018? AFL Season (I'll believe it when I see it)
Capacity projected to be 65,000?

Essendon moving training base to Melbourne Airport
Making the move after the 2012? AFL Season

Collingwood training base - Olympic Park Redevelopment
Upgrade to Collingwood's training base at Olympic Park

They are the ones I'm aware of, but not really sure of many of the figures. What else is going on in regards to AFL Stadium developments?

As these figures are clarified can a Mod edit this post to take account of any updates/ corrections.

Could this just be current stadium redevelopments? nib Stadium is being renovated after this year's super rugby season. Also Rugby League Park in Christchurch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What else is going on in regards to AFL Stadium developments?

Skoda Stadium (Sydney Showground)
2iqo674.jpg

Adelaide oval expansion will have exactly 55000 when its finished (not sure what is standing room or seating)

This was from the Adelaide Advertiser so add another 5000 seats. They wants it to be slightly bigger than AAMI.

Has the new Perth Stadium been 100% confirmed already? Forgive me for possibly being a little ignorant, but I thought it was merely being mooted? Should be fantastic for both WA clubs though, along with Adelaide Oval for the Crows and Port.
On the proposed Ballarat Stadium, I believe it is somewhat of a waste of money. Some (North supporters and Ballaratians in particular) may grill me over this, but the need for a 3rd stadium in Melbourne outweighs the need for one in Ballarat. And in addition to this, I don't believe it will be the financial saviour that lower-drawing Melbourne clubs seem to think it will be.

Should give the Cats home finals there if they are playing Elimination Finals against non Vic sides.

As much as I (and many fellow Geelong supporters) would love a home final at KP, I strongly doubt it will ever occur in the near future regardless of capacity (thanks to the AFL's contractual obligations with the MCG/Docklands). And anyway, finals at the home of Footy (even against interstate clubs) are unparalleled in virtually every manner imaginable.
The increased capacity will give us more games here though, and possibly some home games against bigger Melbourne clubs.

Has the new Perth Stadium been 100% confirmed already? Forgive me for possibly being a little ignorant, but I thought it was merely being mooted?

Well, Perth being Perth means that until the doors open then it's not 100% confirmed. But it's as confirmed as anything can be in this city given no-one's picked up a shovel yet.

...On the proposed Ballarat Stadium, I believe it is somewhat of a waste of money. Some (North supporters and Ballaratians in particular) may grill me over this, but the need for a 3rd stadium in Melbourne outweighs the need for one in Ballarat. And in addition to this, I don't believe it will be the financial saviour that lower-drawing Melbourne clubs seem to think it will be. ...
I'm originally from Western Victoria and totally concur. Ballarat is a very poor choice - it has only half the population of Geelong, and are already thoroughly rusted on to their AFL clubs and used to the hour and a bit trip by rail or car to Docklands and MCG - and few of them support North now and they won't change in the future. The proposed 15,000 seat stadium would be a waste of money. Far better for a third stadium in Melbourne.

I'm originally from Western Victoria and totally concur. Ballarat is a very poor choice - it has only half the population of Geelong, and are already thoroughly rusted on to their AFL clubs and used to the hour and a bit trip by rail or car to Docklands and MCG - and few of them support North now and they won't change in the future. The proposed 15,000 seat stadium would be a waste of money. Far better for a third stadium in Melbourne.

Yep, I doubt North and/or Footscray will even pull 10k there against the likes of GWS, GC, Port, Freo etc. Whilst I'm all for developing grassroots footy and bringing the game to regional areas, I just don't think wasting $100m+ on a stadium in a town of 90,000 is a viable option (particularly when it will most likely be used for only 4-5 dud matches a year).
And if North are fair dinkum about building a secondary support base elsewhere, they need to look at what Hawthorn have done in Tassie, rather than simply seeking to sell home games wherever they can.
Nonetheless, constructing a boutique 30k seater in SE Melbourne or redeveloping Princes Park is a much more feasible idea for a 3rd stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back