Coach Current coaching and recruiting structures

Remove this Banner Ad

Paywall so no details but this would take him to 11 years as coach passing Malthouse (10) and 1 year shy of Worsfold (12)

Our only other 3 coaches (Alexander, Todd and Judge) have a total of 5 years combined

A minimum 4 years is a pretty significant risk, a lot can change in football over a short time frame.

A decade ago the club went from top to bottom in as many years.

Not a swipe against Simpson, but the club has finished outside the top 4 in four of the past five seasons and the squad is not getting any younger.

Pleased to see him re-sign a contract, but I don't believe the results necessarily merit the length that appear to be on offer.

A minimum 4 years is a pretty significant risk, a lot can change in football over a short time frame.

Not a swipe against Simpson, but the club has finished outside the top 4 in four of the past five seasons and the squad is not getting any younger.

Pleased to see him re-sign a contract, but I don't believe the results necessarily merit the length that appear to be on offer.
It’s probably to give stability in allowing him time to re-built the team somewhat after we lose the likes of Kennedy and Hurn etc. We all see the changing of the guard and, midfield aside, we have most the pieces in our squad, so I get the decision. I don’t disagree with your point mind you - Just that I am happy with the stability it gives us during this transition.

Coaches contract mean pretty much nothing in our game though

Premierships do funny things. Beveridge has finished 6th, 7th (premiership), 10th, 10th/11th?, 7th, 7th. Probably finish between 6-11 again this year. Without that premiership in there he's probably gone at the end of this season.

Yeh so if we need to rebuild, that can’t be him?

Don’t follow logic unless you feel a coach needs to go no matter what if we slide down the ladder...

Premierships do funny things. Beveridge has finished 6th, 7th (premiership), 10th, 10th/11th?, 7th, 7th. Probably finish between 6-11 again this year. Without that premiership in there he's probably gone at the end of this season.
I'm a big critic of Beveridge. Fluked a premiership but hasn't actually been that great when you look at his H&A record. Tends to over-think things and self-sabotage by putting players out of position and having weird personal fallings-out with several (Stringer, Roughead). Still hasn't been able to get a decent forward line together.

Hiring Ken Judge was so bizarre.

8th, 15th, 13th, 9th at Hawthorn and we're like "Yep, this is the best guy for the job".

Anyone surprised he backed up his Hawthorn record with 13th and 14th with us?

He did have an awesome win v the premiers round 1.... then all downhill from there lol

Was anyone else in the box seat? I cant remember much about his signing at the time.

He did have an awesome win v the premiers round 1.... then all downhill from there lol

Was anyone else in the box seat? I cant remember much about his signing at the time.

He was coach when Scotty Cummings went nuts vs Adelaide (14.1), and also when we smashed Freo by over 100 points, so it wasn't *all* bad I guess, but still.

We also wore the ochre monstrosity.

I'm just glad that 2000-01 coincided with Year 11 and 12, so I had school to focus on :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

enough time to rewire, restump, replumb.

maybe throw in some budding boobs in there also.

8th, 15th, 13th, 9th at Hawthorn and we're like "Yep, this is the best guy for the job".

And while I'm worked up about something that happened over 20 years ago, the two most successful AFL clubs had their worst runs under the same coach.

Derp.

Was a case of hiring anyone, as long as they were from WA...

The club had been the competition for 13 seasons and 10 of those were with a Victorian at the helm.

Completely absurd way to manage a professional club, letting parochialism dictate appointments rather than the best available.

Here's a throwback from 20 years ago: Judge is Sacked

Thankfully, replacing one WA product (Judge) for another (Worsfold) paid off.

Could have been worse - the club apparently came very close to appointing Terry Wallace as coach after sacking Judge...

Imagine that, coach Wallace proudly selecting Polak with pick 3, saying that he will be the perfect fit for his defensive 12...
Meanwhile Fremantle use their pick 4 on selecting Judd...

Sliding doors of nightmares stuff right there.

Was a case of hiring anyone, as long as they were from WA...

The club had been the competition for 13 seasons and 10 of those were with a Victorian at the helm.

Completely absurd way to manage a professional club, letting parochialism dictate appointments rather than the best available.

Here's a throwback from 20 years ago: Judge is Sacked

Thankfully, replacing one WA product (Judge) for another (Worsfold) paid off.

Could have been worse - the club apparently came very close to appointing Terry Wallace as coach after sacking Judge...

Imagine that, coach Wallace proudly selecting Polak with pick 3, saying that he will be the perfect fit for his defensive 12...
Meanwhile Fremantle use their pick 4 on selecting Judd...

Sliding doors of nightmares stuff right there.
How about the first couple of posts saying that sacking judge was a bad move!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back