Coach Current coaching and recruiting structures

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Excellent. Our list management is now undertaken remotely from Victoria.

2022 - Simmo coach remotely from Victoria.

2025 - all players move to Victoria

Who will keep O’Brien in check now that he is everything?

We can’t afford to lose Vozzo to Adelaide now. With a list manager based in Melbourne it’s imperative an experienced and respected administrator like Vozzo is retained

Doing fine ..... and may I thank those of you who were worried about me on learning of RO’B appointment.😉

List Management and Head Recruiting requires two very different skill sets.
So if fairness to RO’B I need to keep an open mind.

He is now following after our last two Last Managers both who IMO did outstanding jobs.

Rawlings will always be fondly remembered for the two heists that he pulled off:

1. The Gold Coast Draft Pick Swap Sting

2. The crafty side deal with The Swans to outwit the rest of the league to protect their early draft picks so they could pick up Blakey on the sly, for which our complicity yielded a second round pick

As for Darren Glass he will be remembered for his one very fruitful trade period.

As last year in his first trade period, with nothing more than really shitty picks and Tom Hickey- Glass some how managed to turn that into:
Witherden, Langdon, Edwards, Winder and Trew PLUS pick up another second rounder and a much improved 3rd rounder in the next draft.

Bravo 👏 to our last two list Managers.

Back to RO’B I would have preferred that he didn’t hold dual roles as both List and Recruiting Manager, to be honest that concerns me.
But in all likelihood that has been influenced by the severe cuts to the soft cap.

In a perfect world it would be best if the two roles were separated.

To use a commercial world analogy-
It’s feels a little like having the same person performing both the Sales Manager and Purchasing Manager roles.
By one person doing both roles it reduces and or eliminates adequate checks and balances to keep each role on its toes.

So a couple of extreme thought on RO’B:

If he list manages like he has overseen the management of drafting talls - then we have ourselves one of the best in the business.
Conversely if he list manages like like he has overseen the management of drafting midfielders, then I have some concerns.

I would also like to see Brad Smith .... sorry I meant BOND 007 get more responsibility in the revamped recruiting structures.

So apologies for the longer rambling post.

But in short I will give RO’B the benefit of the doubt that he can do the job well.

Also BOND 007 I would’ve very interested in hear your thought on the move. You probably can’t say to much as the Club reads this board so you will need to be somewhat circumspect in what information you share.

Side not I had better take a 💊 can’t believe how nice I have been to RO’B.

But it’s hard to be to critical of the Club with its retasking of roles with staff when such budgetary cuts have been forced on the Club by AFL House.
Just go to make the best of a shitty situation the only small consolation is that every Club is having to do similar so it’s an even playing field.

Just banged this post out quickly at work and will clean up spelling and grammar tonight after work.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Doing fine ..... and may I thank those of you who were worried about me on learning of RO’B appointment.

List Management and Head Recruiting requires two very different skill sets.
So if fairness to RO’B I need to keep an open mind.

He is now following after our last two Last Managers both who IMO did outstanding jobs.

Rawlings will always be fondly remembered for the two heists that he pulled off:

1. The Gold Coast Draft Pick Swap Sting

2. The crafty side deal with The Swans to outwit the rest of the league to protect their early draft picks so they could pick up Blakey on the sly, for which our complicity yielded a second round pick

As for Darren Glass he will be remembered for his one very fruitful trade period.

As last year in his first trade period, with nothing more than really shitty picks and Tom Hickey- Glass some how managed to turn that into:
Witherden, Langdon, Edwards, Winder and Trew PLUS pick up another second rounder and a much improved 3rd rounder in the next draft.

Bravo to our last two list Managers.

Back to RO’B I would have preferred that he didn’t hold dual roles as both List and Recruiting Manager, to be honest that concerns me.
But in all likelihood that has been influenced by the severe cuts to the soft cap.

In a perfect world it would be best if the two roles were separated.

To use a commercial world analogy-
It’s feels a little like having the same person performing both the Sales Manager and Purchasing Manager roles.
By one person doing both roles it reduces and or eliminates adequate checks and balances to keep each role on its toes.

So a couple of extreme thought on RO’B:

If he list manages like he has overseen the management of drafting talls - then we have ourselves one of the best in the business.
Conversely if he list manages like like he has overseen the management of drafting midfielders, then I have some concerns.

I would also like to see Brad Smith .... sorry I meant BOND 007 get more responsibility in the revamped recruiting structures.

So apologies for the longer rambling post.

But in short I will give RO’B the benefit of the doubt that he can do the job well.

Also BOND 007 I would’ve very interested in hear your thought on the move. You probably can’t say to much as the Club reads this board so you will need to be somewhat circumspect in what information you share.

Side not I had better take a can’t believe how nice I have been to RO’B.

But it’s hard to be to critical of the Club with its retasking of roles with staff when such budgetary cuts have been forced on the Club by AFL House.
Just go to make the best of a shitty situation the only small consolation is that every Club is having to do similar so it’s an even playing field.

Just banged this post out quickly at work and will clean up spelling and grammar tonight after work.

Geeeeee way to oust a guy

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Ah well. It was fun having relatively young innovative people at the club with plenty of new ideas. Rawlings, Glass, Mitchell. All came with good experience from outside the club (Mitchell and Glass from the most successful club this decade).

Now we’ve got O’Brien running the recruiting show and Rosa teaching everyone how to helicopter kick. Expecting 22 skinny Victorian flankers lining up for us within 2 years now that he has the final say. If Vozzo goes we could be in a bit of strife.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
My initial reaction was somewhat meh and then I thought what a great way to keep Rohan honest.

I have been happy with the overall list management but like many, our inability to shoot earlier on players with the rough edges has meant that we select players like Gorter and do not take a minimal risk the Kelly. Have another WAFL year.

So Rohan gets under his control the drafting (talls exceptional but mids appalling) as well as the draft picks we need to give up to correct our mistakes.

I would have preferred 2 people as I see it as 2 roles. That said, maybe Vozzo is going to play a more hands on role.

Big questions with Rohan are:
Does he have the financial and commercial skills needed to list manage?
Does he have negotiating skills or can the club bring someone to the table who can do it well?
Does he have the relationships with the player agents to get us the right players selecting West Coast for a trade?
Will he be ruthless enough with pushing players out when their time can come if he was the one who recruited them?

The bottom line is that the struggling clubs in Melbourne have dragged us down to the lowest common denominator and we are forced to cut where cuts are starting to look silly. The sooner the AFL Boys Club address the unsustainability of the current clubs the better. It is not likely to be happening while we have the VaFL running the show.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Ah well. It was fun having relatively young innovative people at the club with plenty of new ideas. Rawlings, Glass, Mitchell. All came with good experience from outside the club (Mitchell and Glass from the most successful club this decade).

Now we’ve got O’Brien running the recruiting show and Rosa teaching everyone how to helicopter kick. Expecting 22 skinny Victorian flankers lining up for us within 2 years now that he has the final say. If Vozzo goes we could be in a bit of strife.

Rosa is gawwwwn

wirra44

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Force,WAWarriors,SA Spurs

Pretty sure Rosa and Bateman arnt at the club anymore so we won’t have to worry about the helicopter kicks😂

Geeeeee way to oust a guy

Look I don't know that 100 % for sure, but I have long suspected that it was him.

Kept quiet on it, for quite a few years now, but it was actually another poster who has made passing reference to the same over the last few months, so if you had been attentive you would have already picked this info up.

But make no mistake The Club have this site monitored.

In fact one well know and very well regarded poster ( who's name will remain confidential ), got chipped by none other than Simpson himself, about what was posted on the Big Footy West Coast Forum.

In fact one well know and very well regarded poster ( who's name will remain confidential ), got chipped by none other than Simpson himself, about what was posted on the Big Footy West Coast Forum.
You hear that?! Pipe down ep2018!

Look I don't know that 100 % for sure, but I have long suspected that it was him.

Kept quiet on it, for quite a few years now, but it was actually another poster who has made passing reference to the same over the last few months, so if you had been attentive you would have already picked this info up.

Yeah but that guys a bit of a dick

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

His wikipedia page says he works as a recruiter, so I think you're spot on here:

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I want your old avatar back or at least the original pic!

I tried to Google it for you but all I could find was this poor woman who doesn't know how to drink a stubbie properly ☹️

Screenshot_20210219-095109.png

Back