Team Mgmt. Current Contract Status (AFL & AFLW) - Updated in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I think List management may not be as hard as I once thought.

I think Laycock's career is over due to injury (according to posts on Bomberblitz), then you lose 1 uncontracted player to GC who we will get a pick for (I really hope Stanton re-signs)

That leaves one more position. Fletcher may retire? (I am divided on this on the one hand he is a champion and clearly in our best 22 but on the other will not be part of our next premiership- not sure- I know he will make the right call either way though).

What is the rules on veterans upgrades? McVeigh and Hille? Houli may also request a trade.

Both Mcveigh and Hille are eligible for veteran's list next year, as they both turn 30 prior to the close of next season. 1 can be upgraded if Fletch stays, both if Fletch leaves.
We won't definitely lose a player to GC either. GC are targetting 8 uncontracted players, but they probably won't get that many, so there's a good chance they won't get anyone from us. Or if they do, Laycock may even be that man (they will need a few mature ruckmen which are very hard to find).

Thought I'd have a quick go at ranking the uncontracted players in order of importance for signing them up. Some of the 'veterans' are a bit lower due to me believing that they will be more inclined to see out their careers at our club.

I'm interested in others thoughts?

Stanton, Brent - priority 1. Always tries hard.
Gumbleton, Scott - slightly above the next few, due to being a KPP.
Jetta, Leroy
Davey, Alwyn
Monfries, Angus
Myers, David
McVeigh, Mark
Reimers, Kyle
Slattery, Henry
Fletcher, Dustin - not going anywhere
Slattery, Tyson
Atkinson, Jarrod
Still, Michael
Howlett, Ben
Lonergan, Sam
Laycock, Jason
Houli, Bachar

Stanton, Brent - priority 1. Always tries hard. KEEP
Gumbleton, Scott - slightly above the next few, due to being a KPP. KEEP
Jetta, Leroy KEEP
Davey, Alwyn KEEP
Monfries, Angus KEEP
Myers, David KEEP
McVeigh, Mark KEEP
Reimers, Kyle KEEP
Slattery, Henry - GET RID OF - A DUD
Fletcher, Dustin - KEEP
Slattery, Tyson KEEP
Atkinson, Jarrod KEEP
Still, Michael KEEP
Howlett, Ben KEEP
Lonergan, Sam - - GET RID OF, ONE PACED
Laycock, Jason - GET RID OF- TOO MANY INJURIES
Houli, Bachar KEEP

[/quote]

THESE ARE JUST MY THOUGHTS ON THE OUT OF CONTRACT PLAYERS, WOULD LOVE TO SEE WELSH TRADED ASWELL AS DYSON, THAT GIVES US 5 PICKS IN THE DRAFT WHICH IS HEAPS, THINK THAT ONE OF HOULI, HOWLETT OR ATKINSON ARE IN TROUBLE THOUGH

Before the seasons is over I hope Myers & Houli are given a few more GAMES and played in the MIDFIELD. I personally feel they are most suited to playing there, rather then in the backline. I'd be dissapointed if we lost either player at then end of the season, without giving them a decent opportunity.

Thanks to quite a few posters who have helped keep this up to date.

Senior list:
Bellchambers, Tom - 2013
Browne, Alex - 2012*
Carlisle, Jake - 2013
Colyer, Travis - 2013
Crameri, Stewart - 2013
Davey, Alwyn - 2012
Davis, Luke - 2012*
Dempsey, Courtenay - 2012
Dyson, Ricky - 2012 **
Fletcher, Dustin - 2012 **
Gumbleton, Scott - 2012
Hardingham, Kyle - 2013
Heppell, Dyson - 2013
Hibberd, Michael - 2012*
Hille, David - 2012
Hocking, Heath - 2014
Hooker, Cale - 2013
Howlett, Ben - 2012
Hurley, Michael - 2012
Jetta, Leroy - 2012
Kavanagh, Elliott - 2013*
Lonergan, Sam - 2012 **
Lovett-Murray, Nathan - 2012 **
McVeigh, Mark - 2012
Melksham, Jake - 2013
Merrett, Jackson - 2013*
Monfries, Angus - 2012
Myers, David - 2012
O'Brien, Nick - 2013*
Pears, Tayte - 2013
Prismall, Brent - 2012 **
Reimers, Kyle - 2012
Ross, Michael - 2012*
Ryder, Patrick - 2012
Slattery, Henry - 2012
Stanton, Brent - 2012
Steinberg, Ariel - 2012*
Watson, Jobe - 2013
Winderlich, Jason - 2013
Zaharakis, David - 2014

Rookie list
Baguley, Mark - 2012
Dalgleish, Lauchlan - 2012
Dell'Olio, Corey - 2012
Hunter, Hal - 2012
Lee, Brendan - 2012
Long, Anthony - 2012

Red = in danger from GWS.
* default 2-year draftee contract.
** no formal announcement made.

So with today's news of re-signings, does that leave the list of uncontracted players as:

Atkinson, Davey, Fletch, Houli, Howlett, Jetta, Laycock, Lonergan, Myers, H Slattery, T Slattery, Stanton, Still.

?

What's the minimum amount of delistings again? 3 or 4?

Delist: Atkinson (I like him, but I think enough's enough), Laycock (no reason needed), Jetta (re-rookie list?) and 4th option Howlett (re-rookie?)

Davey 2 years
Fletch 1 year
Lonergan 1 year
T Slattery 2 years
H Slattery 2 years (both get an extra year purely to ward off the GWS, otherwise would be giving 1)
Stanton 2 years
Still 2 years
Myers 1 year (actually got to the point I don't care whether GWS go after him)
Houli 2 years

I know im looking ahead 12 months but my god next year is a huge year for some players especially with their contracts set to expire (if their still that is):

Welsh, Neagle, Prismall, Winderlich, NLM, Dyson and Daniher (though hopefully his young brother joins us in 2012). All playing for their careers next year.

Delist: Atkinson (I like him, but I think enough's enough), Laycock (no reason needed), Jetta (re-rookie list?) and 4th option Howlett (re-rookie?)

Davey 2 years
Fletch 1 year
Lonergan 1 year
T Slattery 2 years
H Slattery 2 years (both get an extra year purely to ward off the GWS, otherwise would be giving 1)
Stanton 2 years
Still 2 years
Houli 2 years

Minimum of 3. Howlett will be promoted. We may use a draft pick on this, so that may mean only 2 get the flick, but i highly doubt it. Jetta not a chance to be re-rookied, he'd simply sign at another club.

Not exactly shocked by the McVeigh decision, but I don't agree with it. Looks to me like Laycock and Atkinson gone and unless we are to trade a contracted player or Stanton there are big question marks over the future of Houli, Jetta, and/or T Slattery. Very disappointed in this.

If we are to take 3 picks and upgrade Howlett with a fourth, that would mean (bar losing a player in a trade for a pick), we would be most likely de-listing Laycock, Atkinson, Jetta and Houli (the latter 2 potentially traded for better pick/s).

Am I right?

Would be happy to lose Lonergan but I doubt it will happen. It at least puts to bed the "It's not the coach, it's the players" excuse. We keep backing these guys in.

Why the heck would we delist Jetta and keep Quinn or Williams who've done a sum total of nothing over 2 or 3 years (respectively)?
Honestly I do not understand some people whatsoever.

It's all well and good to say 7 wins = delist everyone! but you have to think about the situation.
GC have about, roughly, a bazillion picks before we'll get to our 2nd.
Roughly 2 bazillion before we'll get to our rookie picks, some of which only they have access to.

ie - there will be almost ZERO chance of barlows or howletts for us, this time around. Maybe there will be some Mariglianises, but they'll be picking the eyes out of the WAFL etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the heck would we delist Jetta and keep Quinn or Williams who've done a sum total of nothing over 2 or 3 years (respectively)?
Honestly I do not understand some people whatsoever.

It's all well and good to say 7 wins = delist everyone! but you have to think about the situation.
GC have about, roughly, a bazillion picks before we'll get to our 2nd.
Roughly 2 bazillion before we'll get to our rookie picks, some of which only they have access to.

ie - there will be almost ZERO chance of barlows or howletts for us, this time around. Maybe there will be some Mariglianises, but they'll be picking the eyes out of the WAFL etc

Quinn and Williams (John you mean, yeah?) are rookies. They don't count towards our primary list. The rules say we have to offload 3 from the primary list and take 3 picks in the ND as far as I know. So its at least Laycock, Atkinson and...

I wouldnt stress that you cant get decent rookies after GC and GWS have their choice - I think they have the first 18 selections

Rookies from 2009

19 Brodie Moles
24 Alex Silvagni
27 Andrew Strik
30 Ben Howlett
35 Andrew Hooper
40 Ashton hams
46 Matthew Jaensch
50 James podsiadly

rookies from 2008

19 Matthew De Boer
24 David Gourdis
27 jarryd Blair
30 Liam picken
40 Benjamin Speight
48 Clancee pearce
61 Carl petersen
74 Greg Broughton

As you can see rookie talent doesnt stop at Pick 18.

Davey 2 years
Fletch 1 year
Lonergan 1 year
T Slattery 2 years
Stanton 2 years
Still 2 years
Houli 2 years

The rule is 3 changes to the primary list.

We could promote 1 player (Hille or McVeigh) to the veterans list, promote Howlett to the senior list, and delist 2 (primary list) and take 2 picks in the ND.

This is the minimum that we could do. You'd expect 3-4 ND picks with another change to come from a trade/delisting.

Quinn is out of contract? Then definitely. Didn't see his name there so I thought he was done by 2011.
AFAIK, all rookies are on one-year deals. If required they just roll 'em over.

Would not be surprised to see changes internally. ie Howlett, Silverlock to main list, replace with rookies. Those two are probably going to be better than anything we'll get with our 3rd-4th picks. But dunno the exact details of what the best way to do that is, ie would it be smarter to take ND picks and leave them as rookies.

I think you would be best of upgrading Howlett to the senior list and leaving Silverlock on the rookie list.

This way you can guarantee both players games if they are good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back