Team Mgmt. Current Contract Status (AFL & AFLW) - Updated in OP

If he actually left it'd be something along the lines of 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. Oh and picks. Not going anywhere without fair currency.

Jul 4, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
My very early and slightly uneducated take (ordered A-Z):

Priority re-signing(s):
Daniher, Joe
Fantasia, Orazio
Parish, Darcy
Zaharakis, David

Depth re-signing(s):
Ambrose, Patrick (could become a priority if he builds on 2016)
Baguley, Mark
Brown, Mitch
Hocking, Heath
Howlett, Ben

Youth re-signing(s):
McKenna, Conor

The 50:50s:
Bird, Craig
Morgan, Alex (feel he could be unlucky at review time, ala Browne and Hams)

Thank you for donning the sash:
Kelly, James (retire)
Merrett, Jackson (not up to it)

Likely to retire:
Goddard, Brendon
Stanton, Brent
Watson, Jobe

Unknown:
Green, Josh

It turns out we have quite a few coming out of contract.

Priority re-signing(s):
Daniher, Joe
Fantasia, Orazio
Parish, Darcy
Zaharakis, David

Depth re-signing(s):
Baguley, Mark
Brown, Mitch
Hocking, Heath
Howlett, Ben

Youth re-signing(s):
McKenna, Conor

Bird, Craig

Kelly, James (retire)

Likely to retire:
Goddard, Brendon
Stanton, Brent
Watson, Jobe

Unknown:
Green, Josh

Mostly what you've got is pretty ballpark, I think.
  • I don't see Ambrose going past enough people to become a priority re-signing.
  • Morgan is a second-year player (although was picked up at age 19 so might feel like he's been around a bit longer), I don't think he'd be delisted at the end of his two years unless his attitude sucks, he retires or he turns out to be really unlikely to make it at AFL level (none of which seem particularly likely at this point).
  • I'd like McKenna to 'break-out' in 2017 and become a priority re-signing by the end of the year. I'm not sure why he's a youth re-signing when Morgan and Parish aren't (he's the same age as Laverde).
  • Jerrett could be depth; really depends what he does with the year.
  • Green's position becomes precarious depending on the development of the younger guys, as does Howlett's.
  • Goddard, Stanton and Watson... well I wouldn't say likely but I wouldn't say unlikely. Goddard in particular seems to have trigger clauses for at least 2018.

With a full list of 40 this year and the club making noises about going after a big fish, there's bound to be a few delistings/retirements to make space, although what happens with the rookie list going into 2018 could make some difference there (if we end up with a senior list of 45 with no supplementary lists, for example, then the 2017 rookies could make way to 2018 senior players).

Last edited:
My guess is Ambrose will be in demand by other clubs if he has a similar year in 2017.

I would say he would likely be signed up again before the end of the year if he has a similar year. The issue he may have is getting in the side. He will have to improve again from what he did this year.

Don't really want to repost this in every preview thread all year but I wasn't sure where else would be appropriate... I guess it's a player status spreadsheet, if not player 'contract' status? (contracts are in one of the tabs too if anyone is interested).

I'm not 100% sure if it's up to date as I wasn't keeping track of team selections/injuries and only went back looking for information this afternoon. Let me know if you spot anything.

Don't really want to repost this in every preview thread all year but I wasn't sure where else would be appropriate... I guess it's a player status spreadsheet, if not player 'contract' status? (contracts are in one of the tabs too if anyone is interested).

I'm not 100% sure if it's up to date as I wasn't keeping track of team selections/injuries and only went back looking for information this afternoon. Let me know if you spot anything.

EucIfYY.gif

That my friend, is a beautiful piece of work.

Mr Brown

Rookie
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

Lovely, any chance you could post a "view only" link to the google spreadsheet so that I don't have to keep coming back to the thread and can also view it on mobile?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lovely, any chance you could post a "view only" link to the google spreadsheet so that I don't have to keep coming back to the thread and can also view it on mobile?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This should work:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTMTEWvrSOI9gwOuq1bWS_oX3EWoCm8INdI2nclpdHg/

This should work:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTMTEWvrSOI9gwOuq1bWS_oX3EWoCm8INdI2nclpdHg/
Did you want me to add it to the OP? credits to you of course.

Did you want me to add it to the OP? credits to you of course.
I don't mind but people don't read well, you'll probably get asked questions about when it's going to be updated and so forth XD

Whatsonswhat

Cancelled
Nov 25, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon

Priority re-signing(s):
Daniher, Joe
Fantasia, Orazio
Parish, Darcy
Zaharakis, David

Depth re-signing(s):
Baguley, Mark
Brown, Mitch
Hocking, Heath
Howlett, Ben

Youth re-signing(s):
McKenna, Conor

Bird, Craig

Kelly, James (retire)

Likely to retire:
Goddard, Brendon
Stanton, Brent
Watson, Jobe

Unknown:
Green, Josh

Now that Fantasia's re-signed, Daniher and Parish are the only real 'must-signs' left.

Brown, Ambrose, Green, McKenna and Zaharakis would be nice to keep if we could without paying them too much (along with Watson and Goddard if they wanted to), at this stage.

The rest are meh, unless Jackson Merrett can turn it around as a defender like Ambrose did, which could very well be the case going by last week's VFL praccy match.

I don't mind but people don't read well, you'll probably get asked questions about when it's going to be updated and so forth XD
Yeah, you'll still need to post the link and info about when there is an update I guess. See what you think.

Last edited:

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Hocking looks like he'd heading towards retirement. Howlett or Bird probably both can't stay, and one will get moved on.

I see no reason Watson, Stanton and Goddard won't go again.

Hocking looks like he'd heading towards retirement. Howlett or Bird probably both can't stay, and one will get moved on.

I reckon both may go.

I thought Kelly may go... but a flag may change that too.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Now that Fantasia's re-signed, Daniher and Parish are the only real 'must-signs' left.

Brown, Ambrose, Green, McKenna and Zaharakis would be nice to keep if we could without paying them too much (along with Watson and Goddard if they wanted to), at this stage.

The rest are meh, unless Jackson Merrett can turn it around as a defender like Ambrose did, which could very well be the case going by last week's VFL praccy match.

given our lack of small defenders, i'd like to persist with Jerrett and see if we can make a BP out of him.
The issue was never his ability but his ability to impact games. As a BP, that's less of an issue. Could be the replacement for Bags when he hangs up the boots.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be interesting to see what happens with Zakka this year. Early days but his form hasn't been great and he'll be an out of contract free agent at the end of the year who is certain to attract interest from other clubs...

Of the other players still uncontracted for 2018 you'd have to say times up for Jerrett, Bird & Morgan.

Howlett & Hocking would be nervous also about getting another year and would want to start playing regular senior footy and having an impact.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Will be interesting to see what happens with Zakka this year. Early days but his form hasn't been great and he'll be an out of contract free agent at the end of the year who is certain to attract interest from other clubs...

Of the other players still uncontracted for 2018 you'd have to say times up for Jerrett, Bird & Morgan.

Howlett & Hocking would be nervous also about getting another year and would want to start playing regular senior footy and having an impact.
i think Howlett and Hocking will be retained as depth. Esp if we let Bird go.
though i think both would be good for a club like GCS who need some work ethic installed in that group.
but i can see them on the list next year.

Zaka may attract a bit of interest from Melbourne
Dees have a lot of classy kids who are hard at the contest and class in traffic (Brayshaw, Petracca, Tyson, Oliver), but not many that are quick away from the pack. Hunt is really their only runner through the middle and he plays more off half back.

Zaka won't be going anywhere imo bleeds red and black.

Hocking bleeds red and black. Supporter as a kid. Fought his way up from the rookie list. Knocked back a reasonably decent 4 year contract
from another club 4 years ago to stay. First of the suspended players to sign on(and not for a lot). Not dropping his game despite not getting a game. Has been in the VFL best both weeks.
Despite all of this it is looking very likely it will be his last year. Bleeding red and black is not something that commands you a spot on the list.

I've added a metres gained stat breakdown to the spreadsheet linked in the OP (and embedded in post #784). Interesting way to track performance over various rounds...

Back