List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

A few very important players coming off contract in 2017 so you'd like to think the club is already moving on some of these guys:

Rodney Eade
Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

May, Wright, Miller and Martin are must-signings ASAP IMO. Don't forget the Suns have potentially as many as three kids coming through their academy next year so that could force them to delist a player they don't really want to.

The most exciting thing about that list is assuming our 2nd year players in scheonfield & Willis stay is the players we will want to delist probably have trade currency.

A few very important players coming off contract in 2017 so you'd like to think the club is already moving on some of these guys:

Rodney Eade
Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

May, Wright, Miller and Martin are must-signings ASAP IMO. Don't forget the Suns have potentially as many as three kids coming through their academy next year so that could force them to delist a player they don't really want to.

Also think that the club would have an understanding between Cal Ah Chee and his brother Brandon, as Brandon came out and said he wanted to go to the Suns, but because of list spots we couldn't fit him in. He has effectively put his career on the line by requesting a trade when he hasn't solidified his spot in the Port team.

I would be pretty confident that he didn't come out and just say I want to go to the Suns unless he had been talking to people at the Suns who were keen to get him, and that Cal would have been used to help broker any potential deal.

I would also be confident that some assurances may have been given that a list spot would be made available for him next year if he still wants to come to us. If I was Cal I wouldn't be signing a contract with the Suns until I had been given some real assurances that my brother is going to be taken care of given what transpired during trade week.

Also think that the club would have an understanding between Cal Ah Chee and his brother Brandon, as Brandon came out and said he wanted to go to the Suns, but because of list spots we couldn't fit him in. He has effectively put his career on the line by requesting a trade when he hasn't solidified his spot in the Port team.

I would be pretty confident that he didn't come out and just say I want to go to the Suns unless he had been talking to people at the Suns who were keen to get him, and that Cal would have been used to help broker any potential deal.

I would also be confident that some assurances may have been given that a list spot would be made available for him next year if he still wants to come to us. If I was Cal I wouldn't be signing a contract with the Suns until I had been given some real assurances that my brother is going to be taken care of given what transpired during trade week.

Yeah nah.
Our best 22 is well past Brandon Ah Chee now after the draft

Not interested.
he can come up and play NEAFL for southport or something if he wants

Given a few of these 'lesser' or older out of contract players will trickle through to extended contracts, I'd be really pretty chuffed if we lock up May, Wright, Touk, Ah Chee and Martin. Plenty on that list need to improve a bit to warrant a decent contract. Those five would stand us in good stead for the fututre in all areas of the ground.

And while we're at it, make sure Lynch gets locked up long term well in advance. Through 2021 sounds good.

If too many new draftees are playing in the early part of the season then it's going to be a season of pain!

Early contender for this years Dion/Cockface award , Jacky Martin. Hopefully a winning culture early on will help him sign.

Contract talks on hold as slick Sun puts focus on footy
Michael Whiting December 13, 2016 8:05 PM
480752-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Jack Martin at Gold Coast training earlier this month

Coming in as a 17-year-old there was a lot of expectation. It's been an interesting journey
Jack Martin
JACK Martin says he's excited about Gold Coast's future, but hasn't begun negotiations for a contract extension yet, preferring to focus on his footy.

Martin is fresh off the best of his three AFL seasons and has come back to training in pristine condition.

The 21-year-old played 21 games in 2016 and finished third in the Suns' best and fairest.

Following the off-season departures of Dion Prestia and Jaeger O'Meara, David Swallow recently put the minds of Suns' fans at ease when he inked a new deal that ties him to the club until the end of 2019.

New co-captain Steven May is expected to follow suit, which would leave Martin as the club's other prized signature yet to be locked away.

About to head into a contract year, the quietly spoken West Australian says his mind is on other things at the moment.

"We haven't had any discussions with the footy club but I'm sure we'll get together in the next couple of months and sit down and go over the contract," Martin told AFL.com.au.

"At the moment I'm just trying to concentrate on pre-season."

Martin came to the Suns as a 17-year-old via the GWS mini-draft at the end of the 2012 season and quickly extended his contract out to five years.

After playing one season in the NEAFL, his much-hyped senior debut in 2014 was memorable for the wrong reasons, dislocating a shoulder in the opening minutes diving for a mark.

Since then, Martin has had his ups and downs, sprinkling brilliance with injury and even an off-field misdemeanour that landed him a club-imposed suspension for drinking alcohol prior to a game.

"It (contract talk) has come around pretty quick, but I've still got a year to go," he said.

"Coming in as a 17-year-old there was a lot of expectation. It's been an interesting journey. It's definitely gone quick.

"There's been some ups and downs, but I'm just excited about what lies ahead for the footy club."

Martin played all over the field in 2016, used as a third tall forward, across half-back, and even in the midfield as the Suns were decimated by injury.

He is one of the most skilled players on Gold Coast's list, adept at using the ball on both sides of his body, as well as winning the contested footy and taking marks both on the lead and in a contest.

Martin has trained in the back half during the early stages of the pre-season and says he feels comfortable there.

"I think I definitely see the game better when it's ahead of me.

"I feel comfortable in the back half, but if I have to go forward or have a run in the midfield, I'm happy to do that.

"I've grown my game but I've still got a lot of improvement - in the gym and with my endurance base.

"As I've gotten older, I've matured and understand what it takes to be an AFL footballer.

"I think I'm working a lot harder now, just doing the little things to look after my body.

"I think my best footy is ahead of me."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, if I was Martin I would wait and let my football do the talking too. A couple of Best-ons early in the season could see offers for him go well up, especially from Freo (if they lose Fyfe, and have cash to burn). Not worried at this stage. Interesting to hear that he is training with the defenders. I thought we would be moving him back into the forward line where he can create havoc with his unique size, but he seems to prefer living down back. Hopefully we see more of him on the wing and in the guts this season though.

Good news from that article, Steven May expected to re-sign :D
Well you would hope that the guy we just gave the co-captaincy to would re-sign :p:D Unless he leverages the captaincy to get a bigger pay packet at another club. :eek:;)

But wow, if we thought last year was annoying, this year is going to be unbearable. Between Martin, 2MP, Touk, May (until he signs the dotted line), Grant, AhChee, and even Mckenzie, we're gonna be getting tools all year who have 'totally legit sources' coming and saying all these guys are gone. Lets see how long it takes with Martin.

Wouldn't those mini-drafts look pretty trash in hindsight if Jack goes? Two once-in-a-generation players we paid heartily for, and we've got almost no return out of.

Fingers crossed we give him something to stay for this year. Still optimistic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

To be fair, if I was Martin I would wait and let my football do the talking too. A couple of Best-ons early in the season could see offers for him go well up, especially from Freo (if they lose Fyfe, and have cash to burn). Not worried at this stage. Interesting to hear that he is training with the defenders. I thought we would be moving him back into the forward line where he can create havoc with his unique size, but he seems to prefer living down back. Hopefully we see more of him on the wing and in the guts this season though.

Well you would hope that the guy we just gave the co-captaincy to would re-sign :p:D Unless he leverages the captaincy to get a bigger pay packet at another club. :eek:;)

But wow, if we thought last year was annoying, this year is going to be unbearable. Between Martin, 2MP, Touk, May (until he signs the dotted line), Grant, AhChee, and even Mckenzie, we're gonna be getting tools all year who have 'totally legit sources' coming and saying all these guys are gone. Lets see how long it takes with Martin.
I've got mail from a totally legit source which says that Martin is 100% going to Freo. Rumor is he could be a part of a swap for Fyfe. ;)

There you go... didn't take this tool very long at all. :D

I've got mail from a totally legit source which says that Martin is 100% going to Freo. Rumor is he could be a part of a swap for Fyfe. ;)

There you go... didn't take this tool very long at all. :D

Yeah, I heard from a reliable source that Harley has been in his ear saying how at Freo "Bro you aren't kicked out for bad behavior, in fact they help you make up stories like how you didn't know your drivers licence is suspended as you moved house and didn't get the letter, its awesome.....sniff" .

If Martin has lined up to go back to Freo after what they did to us on Harley we will need to bend them over. We didn't quite get to make the statement with JOM so maybe we will have to use Martin to set an example to the comp.

I think Martin will resign, his very close to a few of the guys and really likes it here. I also feel like his in the boat that if he plays well he can add a lot more onto his value than by resigning now

I think Martin will resign, his very close to a few of the guys and really likes it here. I also feel like his in the boat that if he plays well he can add a lot more onto his value than by resigning now

The tone of Martin's comments were more like give me the first 6-8 weeks of the season to show what I've got so I can get a better deal as opposed to JOM who always sounded like he just wanted to 'focus on footy' and use the injury to string it out as long as possible before he left.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back