List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
According to Ralph, Weller was in early stages negotiating a new contract past 2023. So unless Ralph messed it up it looks like Weller is contracted until the end of 2023.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Definitely makes it interesting. You would think there wouldn't be outside interest for him now which helps with keeping his value down. Not sure what we can do as far as salary for next year and future years now but may give us a bit of room to bring a player in.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When he's doing rehab.
Will be 28 with the new contract when he's playing again
Weller should play after bye 2023 when he will be 27 years 4 months old. If he can come back from ACL as well as Witts and Budarick, he could be very handy in 2nd half and expected finals in 2023 and the club, I believe, would be more than happy to re-sign him. His elite kicking, decision making, drive will be missed, IMO. He played to his potential recently, probably top 5 in the last couple of games. How much new contract? No idea. I am sure Cameron can handle it.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The club’s offer to Ben King remained the same post-ACL as it was pre-ACL. If Lachie has been given an offer already it should remain the same also.
Devastating news for him and hopefully he comes back as good as ever. I hope this doesn’t have the effect on our team performances like GAJ in 2014. Feels like we’re much better equipped to deal with it now but Lachie is still a huge loss.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
When he's doing rehab.
Will be 28 with the new contract when he's playing again

Got to factor in the impact on the players and the rest of the club if the list management screws over Weller.
Got to be a fair deal in there somewhere if he is OOC next year.

Also got to trust in his ACL recovery, seeing how Wittsy and Budders have come back. Wittsy straight back to his best, and Budders only took several weeks to hit some form and is now producing his best.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
What does a half decent 28 yo running HB go for these days coming off a major knee recon ?

Hopefully the club were offering a fair contract for what he is. Is AFL quality but a role players not a difference maker. Probably worth $350k-$400k on a 2 year extension.

Just watching the channel 9 footy show and they just brought up the Lachie Weller trade and missing out on Andrew Brayshaw. The gift that keeps on giving.

ajhgcs

Team Captain
May 15, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hopefully the club were offering a fair contract for what he is. Is AFL quality but a role players not a difference maker. Probably worth $350k-$400k on a 2 year extension.

Just watching the channel 9 footy show and they just brought up the Lachie Weller trade and missing out on Andrew Brayshaw. The gift that keeps on giving.
Did they leave out that we also got Charlie Ballard in that trade?

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
No longer bothered by that trade.

We might not have drafted Brayshaw. Given our track record at the time, we probably would not have.
Wasn't it LDU, Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw all around the same mark?
It helped Freo that he had a brother and other family living in Perth, so that made it a bit easier for them.

What if Freo draft Cerra at 2 and he leaves the club, but they still draft Brayshaw at 5?
They end up the same exact position that they are in now, and we are in the same position as well.
The only difference is that the trade 'looks' better for us, no different on field.

Hey, we might still have Clayton doing the drafting!

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
No longer bothered by that trade.

We might not have drafted Brayshaw. Given our track record at the time, we probably would not have.
Wasn't it LDU, Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw all around the same mark?
It helped Freo that he had a brother and other family living in Perth, so that made it a bit easier for them.

What if Freo draft Cerra at 2 and he leaves the club, but they still draft Brayshaw at 5?
They end up the same exact position that they are in now, and we are in the same position as well.
The only difference is that the trade 'looks' better for us, no different on field.

Hey, we might still have Clayton doing the drafting!

Big picture was that it got Clayton out of the club so I guess we were the real winners as well.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Big picture was that it got Clayton out of the club so I guess we were the real winners as well.

I also find it funny that Cornes is so harry hindsight when it comes to list management and recruiting decisions and holding people accountable for their list decisions.
Get in a real chair and do a job with real accountability, see how you go.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,

I do like the culture shift that trade signified. Things have just felt better since then.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
I also find it funny that Cornes is so harry hindsight when it comes to list management and recruiting decisions and holding people accountable for their list decisions.
Get in a real chair and do a job with real accountability, see how you go.
His job is to talk absolute s*it about the lowest hanging fruit and move on to the next dead horse to whip.

The fact everyone knows his opinion is irrelevant, yet brings it up as if he is a respected journo is why the AFL media landscape is the way it is.

Back