Current players who should make a book on their career when they retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex Walker.
Young man captaining the biggest team in his state, lost his mentor and close friend and coach, lead his team through that and into the finals that season.
Then bore the brunt of the loss in the grand final last year. Most blokes his age haven’t dealt with losing anyone let alone having to lead a bunch of men through it
Would probably be a picture book if he did it himself.

Or willing to write about, I'm sure Dusty and Buddy would top that list.

Still not as good as Shannon Grants book.
#roos90’sculture

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

There'd be plenty from all clubs
Brandon Ellis is a great example, I saw him as just another footballer, who probably had a fairly average, uninteresting upbringing and was just pretty good at footy. Nope.
https://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/brandon-ellis/
Just because he had a rough upbringing doesn't mean I'd want to read a book about his entire life. Plenty of people go through similar situations in their youth. Articles like that do a good enough job of telling his story.

Just because he had a rough upbringing doesn't mean I'd want to read a book about his entire life. Plenty of people go through similar situations in their youth. Articles like that do a good enough job of telling his story.
You’ve got a point but I reckon there’s a fair bit more depth to it than that. Maybe not a book’s worth but a few chapters. Wouldn’t mind a compilation type effort with 3 or 4 players and their stories. I personally enjoy reading this sort of stuff, I’m sure others do too.

Lindsay Thomas - Australian sniper

Matthew Nicholls - Sherrin Head

Justin Schmidt - Greys and Greens

Sam Mitchell - Knees of Fury

Luke Hodge - Only good blokes drink and drive

I own the patents to these titles as of now

But Nick Riewoldt would be a good read if he wrote one, captain around the time of the schoolgirl stuff and then the poor bugger losing his sister and him playing on and then deciding to leave Sicks’ record at the top of the tree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m no good ...just sayin

Jack Watts’ biography would have a soft cover

I personally don’t want him in our 22 until he plays for the team. He needs to put his body on the line when required and make outcomes. He currently plays waiting for outcomes.

Jack Riewoldt.

"It's sort of like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and [Dimma's] Willy Wonka and Richmond is the chocolate factory and we're the kids going through the factory."

Jack Watts’ biography would have a soft cover

I personally don’t want him in our 22 until he plays for the team. He needs to put his body on the line when required and make outcomes. He currently plays waiting for outcomes.

I cannot see what this guy brings to a team ....he lopes around looking for easy possessions

He has some nice skills when he does get the ball but seriously his clock is ticking

How can anyone top the Paul Chapman book?!??!

I've got his autobiography (A Truth Hurts). When players are allowed to open up full bore about stuff like that, it makes for a lot more compelling reading. He opens up about just about everything (King Street 96, Anthony Stevens, glassing incident) and his life growing up certainly doesn't sound like a picnic at all. Also didn't pull punches on North's position off the field either which I though was refreshing because most would try and find excuses whilst he didn't.

Bruce Abernathy, a former Port Adelaide/Adelaide/Collingwood player, wrote a book about PAFC throughout the 90's and had a fair bit in it from guys like Bruce Weber (RIP) and a few others who were at the forefront of everything. Fairly blunt about the way things went when we tried getting into the AFL in the 1990 and the subsequent fallout. Definitely recommend it if you want a peak into the mindset of people who wanted their clubs in the AFL back in the 90's.

Yeah him or Watts would be awesome if they didn't pull punches. Two biggest on field people for the Dee's at the time and Nat would certainly know more then most. Same position as Boak.
Wayne Carey's is absolutely outstanding, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Naitnui would be an interesting read.

Also Eddie Betts

Plus a couple of Hawks ones:

Cyril would be interesting to read about the Scotch College experience, his stellar career and then the retirement decision.

Roughy will definitely write one. Genuine good bloke (sorry) and has been through a lot and come out the other side. Absolute champ.

Last edited:
From another club - Shaun Burgoyne. Ridiculously successful career & premierships with 2 teams, AA, 300+ games and just an out & out gun. Reckon he would have seen it all over his career & would like to hear about how he dealt with the least desirable parts of fame of being an AFL star due to his background

Pretty sure it’s 90% been written, him and his ghostwriter are just waiting for his retirement to release it.

Pretty sure it’s 90% been written, him and his ghostwriter are just waiting for his retirement to release it.

Agree. As much as I love Silk, I can't imagine myself wanting to read it like Hodge's or Mitchell's (set for release later this month). Absolute legend but, I don't know...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back