Remove this Banner Ad

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
This my current top 25 of kids I would want to get into my footy club. Second half of the year will change things as players improve and stagnate as will draft position and club needs. Enjoy and discuss!

1. Will Brodie
Just a sure thing big bodied midfielder. I reckon Dyson Heppell is the sort of player he will become. Almost sure fire afl midfielder.

2. Sam Petrovski Seton
Magic happens when this bloke gets the ball. I don't reckon his body was 100% for the champs but he has shown enough. Daniel Wells is a pretty accurate role model for what this bloke could become.

3. Andrew McGrath
Love this bloke. Leader, athlete and natural footballer. Will start as a dashing small defender and will evolve into a midfielder in time. His knock is his height. 179cm is tall enough.

4. Hugh McCluggage
Classy operator who does things with one touch and glides around the footy field. Kicks goals and has a body which will continue to develop. A bit of Shaun Burgoyne in the way he moves and delivers the footy.

5. Jack Bowes
Probably didn't have the best carnival for the Allies but this bloke can play. Straight into the midfield and has a nice combination of inside and outside game.

6. Todd Marshall
Exciting tall who has a heap of development left in him. Will not make an impact at afl for a couple of years but has the potential to be really good. Reminds me a little of Darcy Moore.

7. Kobe Mutch
This bloke is a ball magnet the only query on him is his kicking lacks consistency and a bit of penetration. Will play a lot of afl footy and be a productive midfielder. Reminds me of Mitch Wallis.

8. Ben Ainsworth
Powerful small forward. I don't reckon this bloke has the tank to go through the midfield and small forwards win games in 2016. This bloke can play round one and be Paul Puopolo.

9. Harrison Macreadie
Nice size key position back who has an afl frame, is defensively minded with the ability to create some play as well. I think he can become A PHIL Davis type defender.

10 Zac Sproule
I rate this tall fellow. His work rate is terrific, he possesses good hands and can kick a goal. His size and athleticism suits the way footy is played now and he reminds me of Tom Lynch when he was running around for the Stingrays.

11. Daniel Venables
An enigma this bloke. His best looks better than most in this draft but he carries himself with a sulking disposition at times which I find unnerving. I see a bit of Jayden Laverde in the way he goes about it yet when he sprints from a stoppage Dangerfield comes to mind.

12. Will Setterfield
This bloke oozes class. He doesn't do enough yet but the potential is all there. GWS can afford to carry this bloke and would expect him to go around here.

13. Dylan Clarke
This bloke is a Tonka truck. He keeps going and going, gets into lots of contests and invariably wins the footy. His kicking is below average but he is learning to use his hands more and more. He needs to be a 35% kick 65% hands player. Matthew Priddis is a good comparison.

14. Jordan Gallucci
Classy forward and midfielder who improved as the carnival went on. Has the ability to do the freakish and kicks goals which midfielders need to do. Will need to improve body strength but has natural ability.

15. Jack Scrimshaw
Classy half back who can run through the wings. Tall and wiry he is going to need to build body size and ensure he remains strong in every contest but he has the tools to become an elite playmaker from the back half a bit like Grant Birchall.

16. Josh Rotham
A nice size utility who can play back and forward but I suspect as a mid as well. Not going to be a superstar but a really reliable best 22 player for a significant amount of time.

17. Tim English
Wafer thin ruckman who has a terrific leap, wonderful hands below his knees and good disposal. His next step is to take strong marks around the ground and when forward. It will take time but this kid could be an outstanding athletic ruckman in the mould of Todd Goldstein.

18. Jonny Scharenberg
An inside midfielder with great hands and a taste for the contest. Gets around the ground well enough and his kick is good enough. I think he can develop into a Scott Thompson like midfielder.

19. Jack Maibaum
Key position swing an who I think will play predominantly as a defender at AFL level. Nice frame and a good athlete the one knock may be at 193cm is he tall enough? I see Teddy Richards when I watch Jack play. Can be an effective forward.

20. Josh Williams
Line breakers are hard to find and this bloke does it naturally. Has jets and can kick goals. Has to work on his consistency within games but has some real sizzle to his game.

21. Josh Battle
Goal kicker who can have an impact on the game. Plays too much from the goal square for my liking and will need to show that he can play as a high half forward. Has similar dimensions to Jack Darling but needs to show he has Jack's tank.

22. Harry Perryman
Natural footballer with above average ball usage and footy brain but a question mark against his AFL athleticism. Hence I have him placed here. I can't understate his footy IQ which is unusual for a junior but I cannot see him handling the demands of an AFL midfielder for quite a while.

23. Jy Simpkin
Small forward and midfielder who is highly talented and can flat out play. I think he can be a Luke Bruest style forward who can create goals from half chances. Unlikely to play again this year.

24. Steven Slimming
Outstanding athlete who has the desired qualities of speed and endurance. Will start off half back and then hopefully transition into the midfielder. I see some traits similar to Jasper Pittard without the craziness!

25. Brad Scheer
Solid operator who does a lot of things right without the flash and sizzle. My only slight knock on him is perhaps one paced but he is a solid operator in the mould of Matthew Boyd.

This my current top 25 of kids I would want to get into my footy club. Second half of the year will change things as players improve and stagnate as will draft position and club needs. Enjoy and discuss!

1. Will Brodie
Just a sure thing big bodied midfielder. I reckon Dyson Heppell is the sort of player he will become. Almost sure fire afl midfielder.

2. Sam Petrovski Seton
Magic happens when this bloke gets the ball. I don't reckon his body was 100% for the champs but he has shown enough. Daniel Wells is a pretty accurate role model for what this bloke could become.

3. Andrew McGrath
Love this bloke. Leader, athlete and natural footballer. Will start as a dashing small defender and will evolve into a midfielder in time. His knock is his height. 179cm is tall enough.

4. Hugh McCluggage
Classy operator who does things with one touch and glides around the footy field. Kicks goals and has a body which will continue to develop. A bit of Shaun Burgoyne in the way he moves and delivers the footy.

5. Jack Bowes
Probably didn't have the best carnival for the Allies but this bloke can play. Straight into the midfield and has a nice combination of inside and outside game.

6. Todd Marshall
Exciting tall who has a heap of development left in him. Will not make an impact at afl for a couple of years but has the potential to be really good. Reminds me a little of Darcy Moore.

7. Kobe Mutch
This bloke is a ball magnet the only query on him is his kicking lacks consistency and a bit of penetration. Will play a lot of afl footy and be a productive midfielder. Reminds me of Mitch Wallis.

8. Ben Ainsworth
Powerful small forward. I don't reckon this bloke has the tank to go through the midfield and small forwards win games in 2016. This bloke can play round one and be Paul Puopolo.

9. Harrison Macreadie
Nice size key position back who has an afl frame, is defensively minded with the ability to create some play as well. I think he can become A PHIL Davis type defender.

10 Zac Sproule
I rate this tall fellow. His work rate is terrific, he possesses good hands and can kick a goal. His size and athleticism suits the way footy is played now and he reminds me of Tom Lynch when he was running around for the Stingrays.

11. Daniel Venables
An enigma this bloke. His best looks better than most in this draft but he carries himself with a sulking disposition at times which I find unnerving. I see a bit of Jayden Laverde in the way he goes about it yet when he sprints from a stoppage Dangerfield comes to mind.

12. Will Setterfield
This bloke oozes class. He doesn't do enough yet but the potential is all there. GWS can afford to carry this bloke and would expect him to go around here.

13. Dylan Clarke
This bloke is a Tonka truck. He keeps going and going, gets into lots of contests and invariably wins the footy. His kicking is below average but he is learning to use his hands more and more. He needs to be a 35% kick 65% hands player. Matthew Priddis is a good comparison.

14. Jordan Gallucci
Classy forward and midfielder who improved as the carnival went on. Has the ability to do the freakish and kicks goals which midfielders need to do. Will need to improve body strength but has natural ability.

15. Jack Scrimshaw
Classy half back who can run through the wings. Tall and wiry he is going to need to build body size and ensure he remains strong in every contest but he has the tools to become an elite playmaker from the back half a bit like Grant Birchall.

16. Josh Rotham
A nice size utility who can play back and forward but I suspect as a mid as well. Not going to be a superstar but a really reliable best 22 player for a significant amount of time.

17. Tim English
Wafer thin ruckman who has a terrific leap, wonderful hands below his knees and good disposal. His next step is to take strong marks around the ground and when forward. It will take time but this kid could be an outstanding athletic ruckman in the mould of Todd Goldstein.

18. Jonny Scharenberg
An inside midfielder with great hands and a taste for the contest. Gets around the ground well enough and his kick is good enough. I think he can develop into a Scott Thompson like midfielder.

19. Jack Maibaum
Key position swing an who I think will play predominantly as a defender at AFL level. Nice frame and a good athlete the one knock may be at 193cm is he tall enough? I see Teddy Richards when I watch Jack play. Can be an effective forward.

20. Josh Williams
Line breakers are hard to find and this bloke does it naturally. Has jets and can kick goals. Has to work on his consistency within games but has some real sizzle to his game.

21. Josh Battle
Goal kicker who can have an impact on the game. Plays too much from the goal square for my liking and will need to show that he can play as a high half forward. Has similar dimensions to Jack Darling but needs to show he has Jack's tank.

22. Harry Perryman
Natural footballer with above average ball usage and footy brain but a question mark against his AFL athleticism. Hence I have him placed here. I can't understate his footy IQ which is unusual for a junior but I cannot see him handling the demands of an AFL midfielder for quite a while.

23. Jy Simpkin
Small forward and midfielder who is highly talented and can flat out play. I think he can be a Luke Bruest style forward who can create goals from half chances. Unlikely to play again this year.

24. Steven Slimming
Outstanding athlete who has the desired qualities of speed and endurance. Will start off half back and then hopefully transition into the midfielder. I see some traits similar to Jasper Pittard without the craziness!

25. Brad Scheer
Solid operator who does a lot of things right without the flash and sizzle. My only slight knock on him is perhaps one paced but he is a solid operator in the mould of Matthew Boyd.
Where do you see Paddy Kerr going? Seriously like his skill factor..The next Gunston

Where do you see Paddy Kerr going? Seriously like his skill factor..The next Gunston

Athleticism is an issue.
Gunston pushes up to half back line and comes back down.
Kerr rarely leaves forward 50.
Kerr' s set shot is iffy as well.
40 plus for mine.

10 Zac Sproule

11. Daniel Venables

19. Jack Maibaum

21. Josh Battle

Sproule - Great to see someone place this kid in their top 20, I've really liked his vision. He seems to show a work ethic that will translate into AFL. He shows the ability to lead up the ground that I've wanted from Battle (I keep hearing Battle can run a 15 beep).

Venables - I just struggle to warm to this kid. Just shows a lack of interest for 90% of the time and then he will show a elements that make you sit back and go WHOA. I guess those WHOA moments are what people hang their hats on, but he will want to show some effort in the second half of the season.

Maibaum - One of the best defenders, just not sure you pick non dominate defenders in the top 20. I still like the kid.

Battle - I want to like him, I want to massively rate him... and I probably will rate him high and hope that he develops and shows his tank.

Surprised to not see Jack Graham in your picks 15-25, I personally rate him in the low 20's. Everything else looks good though, nice top 25! :D

Absolutely agree with the Zac Sproule rating. His work around the ground, contested ball winning and goal kicking has been great. Probably doesnt have the same output scoreboard-wise as some of the other key forwards but, with his work ethic, I see him as a forward who will thrive at the next level.

Really liking these rankings mate. Most have been similar up until this.

Surprised you couldn't find a spit for the best player of the championship Jack Graham
Lacks athleticism, can't spread and cheats in his defensive running.
Has little legspeed
Kicking below average.
Performance at stoppages above average.
I can't see him handling the speed of afl footy.
I think he will get drafted but I am guessing in the 30s and beyond.
Will need to train for draft camp.

Has little legspeed
Kicking below average.
Sounds like a poor mans priddis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has little legspeed
Kicking below average.

He did well in fooling the selectors of the medal for best player of the u/18 championship with all those flaws

Has little legspeed
Kicking below average.

His role at the champs was an inside mid. He played that role to a tee. If you look at tackle count and contested possessions and possessions as a whole, not sure what else you wanted him to do?.
Im not sure what your judging his kicking off of? cause most of his kicks were in the congestion and clearing forward. Yes he stuffed up one kick that led to a goal in the last quarter against country but lets be honest game was over and it was a lack of concentration (again no excuse at AFL level)
Being from SA, seeing him a few times in a different roles for his club North (lock down hackman and a bigger body inside the DEF) , his kick is accurate not above average but he def is not a below average kicker. Thats an average statement i must say

His role at the champs was an inside mid. He played that role to a tee. If you look at tackle count and contested possessions and possessions as a whole, not sure what else you wanted him to do?.
Im not sure what your judging his kicking off of? cause most of his kicks were in the congestion and clearing forward. Yes he stuffed up one kick that led to a goal in the last quarter against country but lets be honest game was over and it was a lack of concentration (again no excuse at AFL level)
Being from SA, seeing him a few times in a different roles for his club North (lock down hackman and a bigger body inside the DEF) , his kick is accurate not above average but he def is not a below average kicker. Thats an average statement i must say
To be honest, ive got Graham just outside of my top 20, just because they're so many good players ive put ahead of him. That doesn't mean he's bad, it just means this years top 25 are pretty good players!

His kicking is below average as a midfielder in my humble opinion.
Inside midfielder is the only hope graham has of playing afl footy which means his hands need to be terrific, his kicking passable and needs to be able to spread.
I think graham will get drafted but I wouldn't take him in the first 25. The unluckiest player in my list is Tim Taranto.
Love ya passion we will agree to disagree.

His kicking is below average as a midfielder in my humble opinion.
Inside midfielder is the only hope graham has of playing afl footy which means his hands need to be terrific, his kicking passable and needs to be able to spread.
I think graham will get drafted but I wouldn't take him in the first 25. The unluckiest player in my list is Tim Taranto.
Love ya passion we will agree to disagree.

Agree 100%, hopefully some teams will be looking for that inside mid, in this year's draft. Who knows a club can re shape a player, so he could drop 15kgs and find some speed, improve his disposal efficiency. Fingers crossed he goes somewhere within the second round (I want him first round haha). At the end if you get drafted, it doesn't matter what number was, your on a list! Thanks for the comment mate and I love the "we will agree to disagree" #croweaters

To be honest, ive got Graham just outside of my top 20, just because they're so many good players ive put ahead of him. That doesn't mean he's bad, it just means this years top 25 are pretty good players!

Do you think the main reason he is outside of that top 25, was due to the role he played in the champs? As in he was down, in and under. He didnt really getting a chance to run free and get 100% efficiency with his disposal. Unlike some Vic metro/country, Allies and WA mids that got to do it, showing their polish therefore catching the eyes of scouts more than graham? Cheers for the reply

No it is not the role he played but real limitations in his game.
If you watch him exclusively you will notice his spread from contests is very poor. He doesn't keep up with the play and cheats. He runs to where the ball may go two possessions in the chain.
Please watch metro v sa in the last quarter
His flaws were magnified.
His kick is also a real worry.
He is above average clearance player but he will encounter bodies as strong as his at the next level.

No it is not the role he played but real limitations in his game.
If you watch him exclusively you will notice his spread from contests is very poor. He doesn't keep up with the play and cheats. He runs to where the ball may go two possessions in the chain.
Please watch metro v sa in the last quarter
His flaws were magnified.
His kick is also a real worry.
He is above average clearance player but he will encounter bodies as strong as his at the next level.

Will watch the Vic metro last quarter and get back to you!
Agree obviously in the AFL the congestion in the middle will be far great (pressure wise) and he could come under attack
I think kick is something you can improve over time and with the likes of training with an AFL club everyday, I'm sure the coaching staff will help. So yes in some aspects he is ready made AFL and in others not so much

Surprised Taranto doesn't squeeze in. IMO a 12-20 pick. His champs performances continued on an upward trajectory which I always like. Tidy skills, lowers his eyes, can mark and win the hard ball, both moving through traffic and body on body. Also has a frame which will be beastly after a few preseasons.

I agree.
It is the one I feel most uncomfortable about.
I have seen him play his best footy as a high halforward which puts a bit of doubt in my mind. He could be a Steele Sidebottom who plays the half forward midfielder duel role really well. Sandy are a loaded side so we will see how he tracks in tac finals as a mid.

Hi, just seeing if you have revised top 25 yet, or are you holding out for the big footy phantom?

And what your thoughts are with bombers up coming trade / draft period?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back