Curse of the 2016 Premiership 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Were the 'Lucky 22' who ran out to represent the Bulldogs in our drought-breaking Premiership struck down with the Footscrazy Curse?

So far, an extraordinary NINE players from that immortalised team, have retired or were traded.

Since that famous day, this is the sad total number of games played by the departed:

L. Dahlhaus - 39
J. Roughead - 25
T. Boyd - 23
L. Picken - 22
S. Biggs - 21
J. Stringer - 16
M. Boyd - 10
C. Smith - 8
J. Hamling - 0

Total = 144 games

Additionally, injured 2016 players - Murphy, Redpath, Adams, Crameri - who surely would have been in the squad had fate not intervened, are also no longer with us.

B. Murphy - 17
M. Adams - 16
J. Redpath - 11
S. Crameri - 2

Total = 46 games

The curse hasn't stopped there however, with significant injury and form reducing an additional three premiership heroes to virtually no game time in the three seasons since that glorious day. There is no guarantee any of the trio will feature significantly, or at all, ever again.

T. Dickson - 24
D. Morris - 22
F. Roberts - 14

Total = 60 games

Is this just modern footy or a genuine curse? Who is next to be struck down? Which player are you most saddened to see gone? Which player had the most unfulfilled potential?

There’s bad luck in there without doubt. Three forced into retirement and Wood, Dickson and Morris having such a poor run with injuries after being pretty durable in 15-16 is crap luck.

I’ll always wonder if we could have done a better job of keeping the group together. Some say Hamling was always going but he did waver and Stringer, Dahlhaus and Biggs are all strange cases. As much as I didn’t rate Rough as a defender he’s doing ok at Collingwood.

"One cannot move forward if ones eyes are fixed on the rear view mirror and all they see is the Albatros of the 2016 Premiership muttering to itself about a curse sitting in the back seat." — Plutarch.

Lots of unusual things happened in 2016, I have seen the movie "Ghost Rider" so that makes me a
quasi expert on signing deals with the devil. Did the Bulldogs sign a deal with the devil were they
tempted like Homer Simpson by a special donut with extra sprinkles was there a special condition
contained in the small print that said "The premiership team shall never reform to play as one on
the field of glory, but may meet for a ten year reunion to tell tales of triumph and better days".
Who knows the truth ?, what is the truth ?, is the truth really out there ? Is Ted Whitten doomed
to stand as a sentinel to years of failure, on one leg with his arms out to the side, frozen in a
ancient kicking action from a bygone age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back