Curtly Hampton - what's going on?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
No, this isn't me bagging Hampton. Read on.

Hampton has been in our SANFL side since R7, having been injured before that. For most of that time we've had 8-10 of our best 22 players missing from the AFL team, and several of the players who have been selected are screaming out to be dropped. Despite this he still hasn't even been named on the emergency lists, and probably won't be when the team is named later tonight.

On the face of it, he'd be an upgrade on CEY, and I could see a case for him replacing Mackay and Gibson as well. I don't rate Hampton, but these players are performing so badly that even I would be prepared to consider replacing them with him.

I was mocked earlier this year for suggesting that he wouldn't be in our best 30 players. We're now looking at 26 players being named (including emergencies), with 8 players on the injury list, and Hampton isn't one of them. That means he's now 35+ on the list.

Even I don't think he's the 35th best player on our list. He's better than that. There has to be more to this story. Why is he persona non grata at the selection table?

I'm wondering if Hampton's situation is similar to Menzel's last year? Menzel played out his contract before retiring to the amateur competition. He wasn't considered for selection for most of the year, and I get the feeling that Menzel was quite content with this situation.

I also suspect that CM is a part of the reason for Hampton's mysterious circumstances in 2018.

What's going on? Does anyone have the full story?

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
No, this isn't me bagging Hampton. Read on.

Hampton has been in our SANFL side since R7, having been injured before that. For most of that time we've had 8-10 of our best 22 players missing from the AFL team, and several of the players who have been selected are screaming out to be dropped. Despite this he still hasn't even been named on the emergency lists, and probably won't be when the team is named later tonight.

On the face of it, he'd be an upgrade on CEY, and I could see a case for him replacing Mackay and Gibson as well. I don't rate Hampton, but these players are performing so badly that even I would be prepared to consider replacing them with him.

I was mocked earlier this year for suggesting that he wouldn't be in our best 30 players. We're now looking at 26 players being named (including emergencies), with 8 players on the injury list, and Hampton isn't one of them. That means he's now 35+ on the list.

Even I don't think he's the 35th best player on our list. He's better than that. There has to be more to this story. Why is he persona non grata at the selection table?

I'm wondering if Hampton's situation is similar to Menzel's last year? Menzel played out his contract before retiring to the amateur competition. He wasn't considered for selection for most of the year, and I get the feeling that Menzel was quite content with this situation.

I also suspect that CM is a part of the reason for Hampton's mysterious circumstances in 2018.

What's going on? Does anyone have the full story?
Certainty to be named in the AFL team this week now.:thumbsu: Bicks logic...

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Hampton might have a 'games played' contract trigger for a monetary bonus and we want to be damn sure he doesn't trigger it for salary cap reasons
He's played 10 games in 3 years, since joining the Crows. I doubt he'd be anywhere near a contract trigger. I know we did that with Henderson, but it doesn't seem to be relevant in Hampton's case.

He's played 10 games in 3 years, since joining the Crows. I doubt he'd be anywhere near a contract trigger. I know we did that with Henderson, but it doesn't seem to be relevant in Hampton's case.

Depends if injured games count. Sometimes if you are in the AFL team then get injured and miss a period of time those games you miss count as "games played"

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Depends if injured games count. Sometimes if you are in the AFL team then get injured and miss a period of time those games you miss count as "games played"
Those games count towards the Salary Cap. They have never counted towards "Games Played". They certainly didn't in Henderson's case.

If it did, Hampton has played nearly every game this year...

Those games count towards the Salary Cap. They have never counted towards "Games Played". They certainly didn't in Henderson's case.

Depends what is written into the contract. If there is a 'games played' trigger there could be an injured games component so you don't lose out if you are injured.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Hampton might have a 'games played' contract trigger for a monetary bonus and we want to be damn sure he doesn't trigger it for salary cap reasons
I can understand why they have had these clauses but if the player is fit and in form, its an artificial get out for the club and means they're not picking their best 22. Total rubbish really.
If he's not in ahead of some of our non-performers this week then that's something else that smells at the club. Apart from the players mentioned above, I'd rather have him than Atkins' once every 6 weeks goal on the run from the 50 with 0 tackles.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We over paid for him, and since he has come here he has cost us far more than we have got from him. He isnt going to be a gun, and will always go between SANFL, AFL and the medical rooms.
Cut our losses.

He was always a high risk high reward recruit.

I agree thpugh time to cut him lose.

Just doesnt have a football brain.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
We obviously don't rate him which is a shame. Despite his faults he is much better than Mackay. And if we're serious about this season (we may write it off after this Saturday) he'd be better current value than Gallucci, Poholke and Murphy.

Mentioned this in another thread that I cannot remember him being dropped before. He's usually in the team, then gets injured and then doesn't get another look in. Strange. I might have just forgotten though.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I’d like to see him in for either CEY or Greenwood this week.. both these lads look like they need a real good rest.. probably CEY more than Greenwood.. give CEY two weeks off.

But ultimately I think Hampton just isn’t an AFL standard player.. SANFL at best.. his decision making is simply not fast enough and as such he either gets caught holding it or overthinks it and ends up turning it over... it’s a pity he doesn’t seem to be able to just trust and play on his instinct because when he does that he can look pretty bloody amazing.. that handball in the last centre bounce of the JLT game against freo this year comes to mind as an example.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I was pretty surprised he didn't get selected in the last two games. I'm not saying he's AFL standard but he looks way too good to be playing SANFL. I don't really understand how Poholke or Gallucci is ahead of him. They may have a higher ceiling and obviously more development to go but right now we would probably get a better standard of performance out of Hampton.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We obviously don't rate him which is a shame. Despite his faults he is much better than Mackay. And if we're serious about this season (we may write it off after this Saturday) he'd be better current value than Gallucci, Poholke and Murphy.

Mentioned this in another thread that I cannot remember him being dropped before. He's usually in the team, then gets injured and then doesn't get another look in. Strange. I might have just forgotten though.
I don't believe Hampton has been dropped, either. Always an injury.

However, with out craving for team balance, you'd think a pacy midfielder with size and tackling ability would be prioritised over a few blokes out there now.

I'm thinking his card has been stamped, he is no Brad Crouch on field and as such we can't afford to hold onto a perrenially injured player.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
My initial guess would be because he's been so stop start and constantly injured it's had a massive impact on his ability to play football and they want him to get through a solid 6-8 weeks uninterrupted in the SANFL before they consider picking him again.

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Crazy that he played 8/9/10 games straight last year in a team that made the GF, but is being left out in the cold this season.

He can be painful to watch at AFL level with his dithering but I still reckon he'd be better than CEY, Mackay or Gallucci (or Poholke up until the Freo game).

Arrived with such promise but seems set to depart as a bust.

1970crow 's continuity.

It's not like we have plenty of underperforming players we can drop for someone who is actually in form... ;)

Should have come in a few weeks ago, instead of one of the injured or underperforming players.

It does appear to be a Menzel-like scenario, which is stupid when we should be picking our best 22.

1970crow 's continuity.

It's not like we have plenty of underperforming players we can drop for someone who is actually in form... ;)

Should have come in a few weeks ago, instead of one of the injured or underperforming players.

It does appear to be a Menzel-like scenario, which is stupid when we should be picking our best 22.

He'll go play for TTG ?

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
My initial guess would be because he's been so stop start and constantly injured it's had a massive impact on his ability to play football and they want him to get through a solid 6-8 weeks uninterrupted in the SANFL before they consider picking him again.

So they have decided he is the only player on our list who shouldn't be brought into our AFL side prematurely from a poor fitness base or injury?

To be honest with the way opposition teams cut though our midfield with run and carry, it does my head in that we refuse to put someone with genuine closing speed into our midfield mix. Whilst he may make some poor decisions with ball, he'd probably stop 5 goals from transition.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We over paid for him, and since he has come here he has cost us far more than we have got from him. He isnt going to be a gun, and will always go between SANFL, AFL and the medical rooms.
Cut our losses.
All of this is true, but it's not the point of this thread.

Surely, given the players we have missing, and those who are performing abysmally, there is room for him in the current team? His strengths would go a long way towards fixing some of the team's current weaknesses (and yes, his strengths are matched by his own weaknesses too).

It's all very well to say "cut our losses" - but you do that at the end of the season, you don't do that mid-season when you're 6-5 or 6-6 and desperate for a win. You select your best possible team, regardless of players' futures, at least while finals remain a mathematical possibility. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Writing a player off mid-season doesn't normally happen, so there has to be a reason why it's happening with Hampton (as it did with Menzel last year).

Has CM robbed him of the hunger to play the game? That's why Menzel gave it away (loss of desire), like Jaensch before him.

Back