Curtly Hampton - what's going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

For us, 9 (last year). Overall 14 (GWS - 2013)

He's 25 and had 60 odd games, history is certainly not on his side for rapid improvement.
We don't need him to improve wildly. We more so need him to contain his errors and focus on his skillsets - speed, tackling, goals (aim to average 2 goals per game, and it's a win). He just needs to modify his style only slightly, not drastic modifications.
This year is a make or break year for Hampton. Hope he wants to keep playing for us next year and grab his chances.

We don't need him to improve wildly. We more so need him to contain his errors and focus on his skillsets - speed, tackling, goals (aim to average 2 goals per game, and it's a win). He just needs to modify his style only slightly, not drastic modifications.
This year is a make or break year for Hampton. Hope he wants to keep playing for us next year and grab his chances.

So to summarise: all he needs to find some way to develop some football smarts, which is something that is really difficult (to nigh impossible) to develop. Not only that, but Hampton is the classic athlete that is trying to be a footballer and has no base of football intelligence to build off (he's at a comparable level of lack of football IQ to my favorite 198 game outside midfielder at Adelaide).

Really the best case now for his career is he ends up playing as a placeholder defensive small forward. After all it's the only position where an athlete with no real football intelligence can survive. Even then though, it's only until we find a better option.

So to summarise: all he needs to find some way to develop some football smarts, which is something that is really difficult (to nigh impossible) to develop. Not only that, but Hampton is the classic athlete that is trying to be a footballer and has no base of football intelligence to build off (he's at a comparable level of lack of football IQ to my favorite 198 game outside midfielder at Adelaide).

Really the best case now for his career is he ends up playing as a placeholder defensive small forward. After all it's the only position where an athlete with no real football intelligence can survive. Even then though, it's only until we find a better option.
I agree mostly with what you say here, except...You are comparing Hampton to all the other 24 year olds.
He's had a seriously stop-start episodic, unpredictable injury-laden path to his career, that he's more comparable to a 21 year old who's about to blossom or about to go bust. It's up to him now if he's given a good run of games.

I agree mostly with what you say here, except...You are comparing Hampton to all the other 24 year olds.
He's had a seriously stop-start episodic, unpredictable injury-laden path to his career, that he's more comparable to a 21 year old who's about to blossom or about to go bust. It's up to him now if he's given a good run of games.
More's the reason to part ways.

He's never going to make it he's too dense. And that's aside from the constant injuries and self-absorption.

No, he isn't. This is all he'll ever be because this is all he's ever shown to be. He simply doesn't have the mind to take all the tools he has, and become an A grade jet (and to be fair, Hampton would be that if he did have this intelligence seeing he's close to the perfect football physique, and does have a good skill set).

One of the first things that'll tend to show whilst players are developing are football intelligence (Gallucci and Fogarty are very smart footballers as examples), as the player generally is relying on them to show their tools. Do they make good decisions, do they understand how to utilise their tools. There has been no point Hampton has shown that he has any football intelligence, and it won't be developed because it is practically hard wired at this point.

We have enough of a sample size to state that really Hampton is just going to be what I stated. He won't magically improve because he gets a run at it; he didn't improve last year when he did.

No, he isn't. This is all he'll ever be because this is all he's ever shown to be. He simply doesn't have the mind to take all the tools he has, and become an A grade jet (and to be fair, Hampton would be that if he did have this intelligence seeing he's close to the perfect football physique, and does have a good skill set).

One of the first things that'll tend to show whilst players are developing are football intelligence (Gallucci and Fogarty are very smart footballers as examples), as the player generally is relying on them to show their tools. Do they make good decisions, do they understand how to utilise their tools. There has been no point Hampton has shown that he has any football intelligence, and it won't be developed because it is practically hard wired at this point.

We have enough of a sample size to state that really Hampton is just going to be what I stated. He won't magically improve because he gets a run at it; he didn't improve last year when he did.
It's all about probability, and for now, you're statement is the most probable. I'm hoping Hampton can return this year with a new mindset, with more confidence in his game and his skillsets. His main competitor for spot a la CEY, has shown that with a good preseason and a new resolve, you can play better above the expectation of the doubters. CEY looked tired in the recent weeks, but his first few rounds were a definite improvement and he was the main reason why we were on a roll earlier on (along with Greenwood's improvement).
Being an optimist, I hope Hampton can prove the doubters wrong and improve week by week. If he can play a role similar to a Cameron, then we'd have some sort of structure resembling to that of last year. This next 2 rounds should be enough to see where Hampton is at with his game.

It's all about probability, and for now, you're statement is the most probable. I'm hoping Hampton can return this year with a new mindset, with more confidence in his game and his skillsets. His main competitor for spot a la CEY, has shown that with a good preseason and a new resolve, you can play better above the expectation of the doubters. CEY looked tired in the recent weeks, but his first few rounds were a definite improvement and he was the main reason why we were on a roll earlier on (along with Greenwood's improvement).
Being an optimist, I hope Hampton can prove the doubters wrong and improve week by week. If he can play a role similar to a Cameron, then we'd have some sort of structure resembling to that of last year. This next 2 rounds should be enough to see where Hampton is at with his game.

He could probably do the Cameron role rather well because the majority of that role just requires Hampton to just be quick and tackle hard. None of those are weaknesses for him. Like Mackay (who is very comparable to Hampton in the sense there is enough there that if he had any tangible football IQ he'd be a good player), it's getting and when he has the ball that causes issues.

A shame really, as the lack of fooball IQ has crippled a player that could have been one of the brightest stars.

Other thing to consider is immediate impact. We could always get into the ear of Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc and get the go home discount.
Rankine is AFL ready this year and will be even better next season. Imagine if we got McGovern in as a FA and kept Sloane. With Rankine also in (upgrade the Melbourne Pick with one of our pick or Carlton’s - if we play finals it won’t be high enough to get him).

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird McGovern Smith
Seedsman Gibbs Sloane
Jacobs M.Crouch B.Crouch
Lynch Walker Rankine
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Greenwood Milera Douglas
Kelly/Francis

Knight/Hampton/Poholke/Galluci in reserve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back