Curtly Hampton - what's going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again surpirsing he didn't get selected. Has the club put a line through him or is it just a fitness issue after coming back from injury?
This is the most likely scenario, after an extensive layoff. If he's on our emergency list, it means we're still considering him and he's nearing a return given other player injuries/out of form.

I reckon he should be given a tagging role, or perhaps the role of a Cameron last year. He's quick, can tackle and has kicked a few goals in the past with us.

This is the most likely scenario, after an extensive layoff. If he's on our emergency list, it means we're still considering him and he's nearing a return given other player injuries/out of form.

I reckon he should be given a tagging role, or perhaps the role of a Cameron last year. He's quick, can tackle and has kicked a few goals in the past with us.
More to the point, it means that we've reached the point where they have no option but to put him on the emergency list. He, and Cheney, have obviously been seen as "break glass in case of emergency" players for most of this year. Laird's injury meant that they had to break the glass on Cheney this week. Hampton is still (presumably) behind all of the players they chose to omit this week.

The question then becomes... why is he rated so lowly, when on the face of it he still appears to offer more than some of our other players.

More to the point, it means that we've reached the point where they have no option but to put him on the emergency list. He, and Cheney, have obviously been seen as "break glass in case of emergency" players for most of this year. Laird's injury meant that they had to break the glass on Cheney this week. Hampton is still (presumably) behind all of the players they chose to omit this week.

The question then becomes... why is he rated so lowly, when on the face of it he still appears to offer more than some of our other players.
You're making this assumption and stating it almost as fact. This (bolded) point would have more conviction if Hampton didn't have a long injury lay-off. I'd take a fit (and in form) Hampton over a Polhoke/Galluci right now, mainly because we need players with bigger tanks to run out games.

Hampton was a run and carry HB at GWS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not a very good one though.

He was drafted as a mid, GWS tried to turn him into a half back, he’s since had injury after injury and simply doesn’t seem capable of preparing his body to the point that he remains injury free.

I gather we’re either giving him an extended SANFL run to get his body/fitness right, or more likely I, as Bader has said, he’s been written off, unlikely to be seen again.

Not a very good one though.

He was drafted as a mid, GWS tried to turn him into a half back, he’s since had injury after injury and simply doesn’t seem capable of preparing his body to the point that he remains injury free.

I gather we’re either giving him an extended SANFL run to get his body/fitness right, or more likely I, as Bader has said, he’s been written off, unlikely to be seen again.
I think we'd be pretty silly to write anyone off considering the amount of injuries we currently have or might still have. We're not exactly rich with choices for the time being!

Should play him forward for his 8 tackles a game we could do with it

Short of Riley Knight he was the obvious choice to play a defensive forward role. He still is. I can’t believe there is not something going on here. We saw it with Menzel as well. Maybe there is a trigger clause in his contract we are avoiding. Or maybe he is one of the divisive figures that we hear about in the squad.

Even if his card has been stamped, I can’t beleive we wouldn’t just use him in the best interests of the team.

or more likely I, as Bader has said, he’s been written off, unlikely to be seen again.

That's the way I see it. Won't get his contracted renewed so get games into other guys who will be playing next year.

Pity he never got a decent run due to injuries but I think he may not have eventuated to much anyway (I was bullish to begin with).

You're making this assumption and stating it almost as fact. This (bolded) point would have more conviction if Hampton didn't have a long injury lay-off. I'd take a fit (and in form) Hampton over a Polhoke/Galluci right now, mainly because we need players with bigger tanks to run out games.
Yes, it's an assumption - but I'm yet to see any evidence which disproves its validity.

Hampton has been running around in the SANFL for long enough now that fitness should not be an issue. I don't believe that's why he's in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short of Riley Knight he was the obvious choice to play a defensive forward role. He still is. I can’t believe there is not something going on here. We saw it with Menzel as well. Maybe there is a trigger clause in his contract we are avoiding. Or maybe he is one of the divisive figures that we hear about in the squad.

Even if his card has been stamped, I can’t beleive we wouldn’t just use him in the best interests of the team.
We didn't need to play Menzel but unfort for him this year he'd be picked most weeks

Losing Charlie and knight we could do with
Hampton even if he doesn't find the ball

We didn't need to play Menzel but unfort for him this year he'd be picked most weeks

Losing Charlie and knight we could do with
Hampton even if he doesn't find the ball

I agree we could use Hampton. Which is why I am throwing up conspiracy theories. Doesn’t make sense that we haven’t.

True that we didn’t need to use Menzel, but I thought he was the next man up at times but not used. I thought I read something about us not wanting to trigger another year as a possible reason he stopped being considered. Maybe no truth to that then.

Hampton should be playing as a pressure forward that can hit the scoreboard. We have nobody atm thats able to do this role and it is perfect for hampton. They have tried to make him an inside mid, a defender, a wingman.. wtf. Just put him in the forward line and let him go to work.

I would have picked him for that role in the gf.

Im thhinking what the Carlton bloke was hinting at was Hampton has been rumoured to have been one of the players vocal about this stupid camp and is angry about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back