Politics Cuts to migrant intake

Remove this Banner Ad

With the help of immigration, we can turn a Ballarat or Bendigo into a decent sized city.

One of the benefits to the immigrant is smaller towns are also far less confronting. Melbourne and Sydney would be culture shock for many.

Why hasnt it happened before this, why will this work?

Growing jobs is fine, but if immigration equals new jobs .... my take on immigration is fuelled by congestion on the roads/public transport.
I was referring to country towns, not sure there would be much congestion/public transport issues, further from previous reading these are not skilled jobs they are taking, most are in farming and have been difficult to fill.

I think that perhaps you may be thinking of the fruit salad of other visas that are available and not the ones of migrants that come here on humantarian grounds.

FWIW the government has a new Visa class with regional restrictions, it's a really good start.
Vic gov moved Workcover to Geelong which helped that city post-Ford closure too. Some governments are at least trying.
How long will any regional restrictions stand up to a legal challenge?

Moving some jobs out of the cbd is great but for every job that publicly moves to a region more are secretly moved to cbds and canberra. Just look at Defences annual reports hundreds of jobs cut in regional areas, 100s more jobs in the Melbourne CBD and Canberra.

The federal government is expected to announce policies capping immigration at 160,000 and forcing a portion of skilled migrants to live outside Sydney and Melbourne.

Cabinet has authorised the changes, which would slash the targeted annual intake of permanent migrants by up to 30,000, The Australian reports.
A regional settlement policy would require a certain number of skilled migrants to live for at least five years in cities other than Sydney and Melbourne.

The government will also provide incentives for foreign students to attend universities away from the two major cities, as part of its bid to reduce congestion in Sydney and Melbourne.
The policy announcement will lower targets that were previously in place. The moves have been orchestrated by the Liberals’ Expenditure Review Committee (ERC) and are part of the government’s broader population policy.

There will also be incentives for international students to study at regional universities or at cities other that Sydney and Melbourne. Last year over 500,000 students from overseas attended Australian universities.

https://www.news.com.au/national/fe...s/news-story/ea73d3a09895f94f9f9b34742029ed7c
Not enough especially when the govt is dodging the stats and not tracking actual population growth.

I don’t get the enthusiasm for curbs on freedom that most of you would arc up at.

So a migrant family gets linked to a job (otherwise the migration wouldn’t be approved I think) but what about spouse or adult children?
What happens if two of the jobs go under? Or the kids grow into adults? Are they to stay there?
What happens if they are all unemployed due to the economy? Do they get a guarantee that the job or equivalent is left open?
What happens if the company want them to go to another region or a capital?

Maybe it ends up like school zones. There in name only. The people have an office in the region, but have to travel to the metro for meetings?

What if the migrant is coming because they have money and want to start a business, but an adviser tells them the region they are to go to is not viable?

Also on the moving government departments to regions? Do you people still expect service from the departments as efficiently even though they are located well away from customers? Many many large companies have tried this to appease government and eventually moved back
Would you move for example bayside council to Ballarat? Sound stupid? It is

I’m not saying the current cbd jobs with a sprawling suburbs is the answer, perhaps suburban hubs connected by a Ring rail is. There’ll be some regional, but I reckon the boat has sailed on that being an answer for expected pops growth

Don’t even get me started on crime and drug culture

Has anyone thought it’s from the John howard playbook. It’s just for the ACA crowd and none of these seemingly difficult things to be implemented will be (supposing they get elected)

Like ‘work for the dole’

Like the coalition of the willing but JWH made sure the aussies were in safe bits of Iraq

Like the Tampa, when most of them got quietly brought straight here or via New Zealand

Last edited:
I think we should have a formalised system of Special Economic Zones, with this kind of special visa to go with it. Call it a second class citizenship if you like, people holding this visa must reside in an SEZ for a period of time - say 5-7 years, before they get full citizenship. But hopefully by then the have put down roots in the SEZ and stay there.

Local areas and regional cities should get a say in whether they apply to become an SEZ or not.
SEZ's should also be freed up a bit from state government regulation, and be overseen directly by the Feds. They could even become Federal territories or something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they going to create a portion of 160,000 skilled positions in Regional Australia so there are actually jobs for people to go to or is the government totally ignorant about the steady flight of skilled positions out of the country and into the city which has caused the populations of Melbourne and Sydney to swell to what they are now? Right now they've announced half a good policy, but without the other half all this will do is turn regional centres into an even bigger slum.

Are they going to create a portion of 160,000 skilled positions in Regional Australia so there are actually jobs for people to go to or is the government totally ignorant about the steady flight of skilled positions out of the country and into the city which has caused the populations of Melbourne and Sydney to swell to what they are now? Right now they've announced half a good policy, but without the other half all this will do is turn regional centres into an even bigger slum.
I am not sure what the announcement was about today as the numbers are the same as last year.

2019-03-20_222706.jpg
These are the numbers for next year.
2019-03-20_222748.jpg
Numbers have been steadfastly going up since LNP have been in government.

Can't find figures for 2018 but here are the categories and numbers for 2017.
2019-03-20_222834.jpg

I think that what they should have done when they introduced migration for skill shortages is insist that for each x number of skilled imports, employers employ an apprentice/trainee to work along side so we can train more of our own people.

Also bear in mind a big portion of next years migrants are already approved in the system. It takes time to organise things
But As mentioned before, the extra school leavers coming into uni and workforce now should be another reason to look at the numbers. 20 years on from Costello’s baby bonuses. Time to pay the piper old pete

I think we should have a formalised system of Special Economic Zones, with this kind of special visa to go with it. Call it a second class citizenship if you like, people holding this visa must reside in an SEZ for a period of time - say 5-7 years, before they get full citizenship. But hopefully by then the have put down roots in the SEZ and stay there.

Local areas and regional cities should get a say in whether they apply to become an SEZ or not.
SEZ's should also be freed up a bit from state government regulation, and be overseen directly by the Feds. They could even become Federal territories or something like that.

Wasn’t that Abbott’s version of this?

These so called cuts are complete bullshit * Morrison and his liberal rabble and a hearty * Labor as well. Australians are being shafted and the only benefits are to rich multi national shareholders donors to the unrepresentative pricks supposedly leading us. *.

youve fallen for it sorry. You think Kochie and Moreison are good men. Pure Evil. You are exactly who they target. Dumass' who get riled
up when words like racist get thrown around.
I know hes a ******* but you could spell his name correctly

Diverting migrants will not work until major development occurs on "second cities" or other regional centres. People will find ways to lie about their true location.

Why would a migrant move to regional WA for example? Not only will they be away from their family or established communities, there is absolutely no work around, and no signs of major development.

If only the number could be reduced to 5000 per year. Wouldn't mind it at all if migrants were somehow confined to places like rural NT.

There's room for them, just not in capital cities. If they're literally fleeing from terror what's the problem with creating a sub state for them in the Tanami/St George Ranges regions? They could create their own city and after 10 years of residency with a good record, be allowed to leave the state and even live in Australia proper.

If only the number could be reduced to 5000 per year. Wouldn't mind it at all if migrants were somehow confined to places like rural NT.

There's room for them, just not in capital cities. If they're literally fleeing from terror what's the problem with creating a sub state for them in the Tanami/St George Ranges regions? They could create their own city and after 10 years of residency with a good record, be allowed to leave the state and even live in Australia proper.

Sounds a bit like apartheid South Africa or Qatar. I can’t believe I am reading this. it’s social engineering

Apart from the fact the govt is toast and won’t implement it, decentralisation is something which most governments have struggled with, yet one of the most ineffective in history thinks they can pull it off?

Tell him he’s dreamin

Actually, we need them because we suck at training our own kids. Unfortunate truth

More than happy for immigrants to be placed out bush as we need the labour and the skills.
Anecdotally, a local farming operation is currently up to 10 Filipino's, (with more on the way), who have progressed through the ranks, with one now recently appointed as Maintenance Manager, (it's a big outfit).
All of them have brought out their partners/wives and all have, or are in the process of getting, Permanent Residency/Citizenship.
They are fantastic people who have integrated seamlessly and have brought some cultural spark to the region.

A few locals who called them gooks, slopes etc got shut down very quickly.

Meanwhile, we have plenty of white and black Aussie youth in the area causing trouble and living off welfare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back