Politics Cuts to migrant intake

Remove this Banner Ad

Also on the moving government departments to regions? Do you people still expect service from the departments as efficiently even though they are located well away from customers? Many many large companies have tried this to appease government and eventually moved back
Would you move for example bayside council to Ballarat? Sound stupid? It is
Governments have their own economic gravity. Most states would be well-served by relocating their legislative and administrative seat to a regional centre.

It's one thing that other federations (like Canada and the US) do much better than us.

Top idea.

Sick of the gridlock and stagnant lower working class wages.
its a great idea but no where near enough of a cut. cities choking with congestion, suburbs being built over prime farm land, resource constraints, debt to pay for.infrastructure, and the only supposed benefit is some fake measures suggesting the economy growing rather than stagnant.

If only the number could be reduced to 5000 per year. Wouldn't mind it at all if migrants were somehow confined to places like rural NT.

There's room for them, just not in capital cities. If they're literally fleeing from terror what's the problem with creating a sub state for them in the Tanami/St George Ranges regions? They could create their own city and after 10 years of residency with a good record, be allowed to leave the state and even live in Australia proper.
Would you be for building a wall around them? Maybe even incorporate a moat into the design with crocodiles?

Would you be for building a wall around them? Maybe even incorporate a moat into the design with crocodiles?

Yeah. Either that or they don't live here and can stay in their war torn regions. You want equality ban Chinese from buying land because that's what they do to Australians in China. The modern sense of equality is warped, or translates to everyone before white males.

It's all well and good saying Migrants have to live outside the major areas.. but what if the skilled jobs that need migrants don't exist in that area? Short sighted policy.

Give the job to a skilled Australian person. No need for migration

Actually, we need them because we suck at training our own kids. Unfortunate truth

No way! Giving migrants jobs is possibly the most immoral thing I've seen. Australian people have literally sacrificed themselves and their standard of living for these migrants. Makes no sense to bring people here if they're going to take your job or work for less. Only makes sense if you're a boss and are attempting to rewrite/undercut the workforce.

The skills are here. Bosses just expect a double masters graduate on a 45k wage because migrants come from a slave work culture and will give it to them. Shortages are exactly what we need. Last good skilled labour shortage I remember, people from the UK were getting paid to come over here and given acres of land in Melbourne for a mere 10 pounds. When bosses are desperate quality of life is best.

It's not hard to see why migration is bad for basically everyone except bosses. Migrants are competition for most people, especially when they'll work like a slave and replace you in your job. I also think lowering the standard of living is by far the worst thing ever done to the people in this country. Even worse than Abbott/Hockeys 2014 budget.

Last edited:
Yeah. Either that or they don't live here and can stay in their war torn regions. You want equality ban Chinese from buying land because that's what they do to Australians in China. The modern sense of equality is warped, or translates to everyone before white males.
I always try a put myself in another's shoes and if I and my family were in circumstances that these refugees/asylum seekers find themselves in I'd be trying everything humanly possible to find them a better life.

No way! Giving migrants jobs is possibly the most immoral thing I've seen. Australian people have literally sacrificed themselves and their standard of living for these migrants. Makes no sense to bring people here if they're going to take your job or work for less. Only makes sense if you're a boss and are attempting to rewrite/undercut the workforce.

The skills are here. Bosses just expect a double masters graduate on a 45k wage because migrants come from a slave work culture and will give it to them. Shortages are exactly what we need. Last good skilled labour shortage I remember, people from the UK were getting paid to come over here and given acres of land in Melbourne for a mere 10 pounds. When bosses are desperate quality of life is best.

It's not hard to see why migration is bad for basically everyone except bosses. Migrants are competition for most people, especially when they'll work like a slave and replace you in your job. I also think lowering the standard of living is by far the worst thing ever done to the people in this country. Even worse than Abbott/Hockeys 2014 budget.

Can you at least try to be funny when you're trolling this bullshit.

Cut to the intake as slated won't make any difference because the majority in the cities are temporary migrants.

What the cuts will allow the government to do is to jack up the costs of family and other visas even higher.

Warms the cockles of my heart that immigrants have put their hand up and agreed to build our rural towns and areas.

This country needs industrious go-getters, not bludgers who sit around talking s**t on footy forums all day.

Some of you have clocked up 30,000 posts or more. Go plow a field or build a railroad you freeloaders.

People thinking that the bush doesn't have a shortage of skilled and unskilled labour are kidding themselves.
People thinking that 'Australians' will actually move here to work are kidding themselves even more.

People thinking that the bush doesn't have a shortage of skilled and unskilled labour are kidding themselves.
People thinking that 'Australians' will actually move here to work are kidding themselves even more.
Of course they won't, more often than not it's because the pay is s**t and the work is terrible. I know that because I grew up in Tamworth. I earn three times as much in the city what I would have been paid had I remained in rural NSW; even accounting for taxes and cost of living and the general misery that comes with city living, that's still an enormous gap. No point blaming professionals & tradespeople for taking the better paying jobs in the city; the unemployment rate is at 5% so it's not like there are many people choosing to sit at home and pull dick instead of moving to the bush.

The best employers and the ones that have the most success in the bush know what it takes to get people to uproot themselves and move. The bigger regional councils are one good example. Bendigo & Adelaide Bank is another. Qantas & Virgin with their new regional pilot schools will probably get it right as well. The government at local, state and federal levels need to put in a good investment to get decent employers to relocate to the country, get regional employees to actually put attractive offers on the table and then campaigners like myself will consider coming back to God's Country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they won't, more often than not it's because the pay is s**t and the work is terrible. I know that because I grew up in Tamworth. I earn three times as much in the city what I would have been paid had I remained in rural NSW; even accounting for taxes and cost of living and the general misery that comes with city living, that's still an enormous gap. No point blaming professionals & tradespeople for taking the better paying jobs in the city; the unemployment rate is at 5% so it's not like there are many people choosing to sit at home and pull dick instead of moving to the bush.

The best employers and the ones that have the most success in the bush know what it takes to get people to uproot themselves and move. The bigger regional councils are one good example. Bendigo & Adelaide Bank is another. Qantas & Virgin with their new regional pilot schools will probably get it right as well. The government at local, state and federal levels need to put in a good investment to get decent employers to relocate to the country, get regional employees to actually put attractive offers on the table and then campaigners like myself will consider coming back to God's Country.

Not so sure about the pay being terrible and the work being s**t in a lot of cases.
I have a mate who owns a big steel fabricating business in Griffith and he pays tradesmen $45 an hour for a 10 hour working day, plus a ute and various performance bonuses. That's pretty decent coin, but he can't get good workers. He's now looking towards skilled immigrants.
I pay my workman $58,000pa, plus they get a ute, a bloody nice 3 brm home with free power and water and free meat. 5 days a week. If I need him on the weekend he gets paid overtime.
The Filipino's I mentioned earlier are all getting in excess of $60k, plus free housing for unskilled labor. The Maintenance Manger is on $100K+. They work a 10 on 4 off roster. Plus the company pays for all of the fees associated with their visas and PR applications.
Admin staff at the same facility get well in excess of $60k for 8 hour, 5 day a week roster, plus overtime as required.

The perception that the bush doesn't pay and that conditions are terrible is a furphy and based on historical rhetoric. We are bound by the same wage market and workplace standards as everyone else.

While they are encouraging regional development, how about moving state government departments, include parliament, out into a regional centre as well.

What a much needed economic boost that would be for somewhere like Newcastle, Wollongong or even the Central West area (talking about NSW).

The big cities are more than capable of looking after themselves.

Of course it won't happen. Few politicans get into the game to see the daily struggle of their constituents. It's all about the office with water views and lunch with high rise Harry.

Not so sure about the pay being terrible and the work being s**t in a lot of cases.
I have a mate who owns a big steel fabricating business in Griffith and he pays tradesmen $45 an hour for a 10 hour working day, plus a ute and various performance bonuses. That's pretty decent coin, but he can't get good workers. He's now looking towards skilled immigrants.
I pay my workman $58,000pa, plus they get a ute, a bloody nice 3 brm home with free power and water and free meat. 5 days a week. If I need him on the weekend he gets paid overtime.
The Filipino's I mentioned earlier are all getting in excess of $60k, plus free housing for unskilled labor. The Maintenance Manger is on $100K+. They work a 10 on 4 off roster. Plus the company pays for all of the fees associated with their visas and PR applications.
Admin staff at the same facility get well in excess of $60k for 8 hour, 5 day a week roster, plus overtime as required.

The perception that the bush doesn't pay and that conditions are terrible is a furphy and based on historical rhetoric. We are bound by the same wage market and workplace standards as everyone else.
It's not good money in the scheme of things, not nearly enough to tempt someone to move out of the city to the country.

$45 an hour is the standard weekly pay rate for the construction & building professions on union sites in the city for a 36 hour working week. Equates to $85k a year + super with no overtime necessary. That's an unskilled position as well, experienced or skilled earn even more.

Casual labourers working under labour hire arrangements can earn up to $70 per hour depending on skill and experience, Monday to Friday 9-5. If they do overtime, that's paid at up to $100 an hour in certain circumstances. Construction workers on the major project I'm working on at the moment mostly take home around $3,000 a week.

With the billions of dollars of work in the Sydney & Melbourne, there's a huge shortage of labour and major contractors are paying top dollar to coax the best construction workers to their projects, and that has forced the rest of the market in the city to follow suit.

And it's not that the working conditions are s**t; the work is just s**t. In Dubbo I'd be fixing potholes, in Melbourne I'm digging tunnels.

More than happy for immigrants to be placed out bush as we need the labour and the skills.
Anecdotally, a local farming operation is currently up to 10 Filipino's, (with more on the way), who have progressed through the ranks, with one now recently appointed as Maintenance Manager, (it's a big outfit).
All of them have brought out their partners/wives and all have, or are in the process of getting, Permanent Residency/Citizenship.
They are fantastic people who have integrated seamlessly and have brought some cultural spark to the region.

A few locals who called them gooks, slopes etc got shut down very quickly.

Meanwhile, we have plenty of white and black Aussie youth in the area causing trouble and living off welfare.

So it worked OK without them being forced to work there?

No need for policy which is anti freedom unless you are the ACA crowd

Everyone’s happy for other people to be forced into semi apartheid so long as it’s not them. They imagine immigrants to be happy for the slops.
Suppose a brilliant scientist or an Olympic athlete (we are happy to wave the flag then) immigrates. Should they be thus limited? Plenty of sports fields in Ballarat? Wake up people?
It’s like public transport. Everyone thinks there should be more, but for some people, it’s other people who should get off the roads and give them more space

While they are encouraging regional development, how about moving state government departments, include parliament, out into a regional centre as well.

What a much needed economic boost that would be for somewhere like Newcastle, Wollongong or even the Central West area (talking about NSW).

The big cities are more than capable of looking after themselves.

Of course it won't happen. Few politicans get into the game to see the daily struggle of their constituents. It's all about the office with water views and lunch with high rise Harry.

Canberra is in a region and guess what? They are moving departments out of there, usually entirely based of vote chasing not any rational decision. Stuffing up the country even more

Honestly these are 1950s policies did they work then? The world is a different place
Not even starting on the NBN stuff ups

Most of the immigration numbers are people not from war torn regions and are superior to the average one of us in every way. They have high expectations too. In many ways australia is competing to secure these migrants
I can’t belive you are so seriously deluded to believe what you put.

One way to make sure immigration is good and works properly is to take the race /religion question out of it, and bring numbers and good reason into it.
You cannot over load your communities, even migrants who are already Australians say that now. Its numbers.
We get too many , we're a desert with a fringe population around the coastal areas, we are big in square miles but not in water or livable areas, we could drought proof Australia from the top end . Why don't we. Is it money, drought proofing is worth what ever you have to pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it worked OK without them being forced to work there?

No need for policy which is anti freedom unless you are the ACA crowd

Everyone’s happy for other people to be forced into semi apartheid so long as it’s not them. They imagine immigrants to be happy for the slops.
Suppose a brilliant scientist or an Olympic athlete (we are happy to wave the flag then) immigrates. Should they be thus limited? Plenty of sports fields in Ballarat? Wake up people?
It’s like public transport. Everyone thinks there should be more, but for some people, it’s other people who should get off the roads and give them more space

Sorry, I missed this reply.
My understanding is that they were originally brought out on 457's so, essentially, they were obligated to work where they did, and still do.
If the next Einstein or Usain Bolt doesn't want to live and work in the bush I'm sure that there is another 100 who will voluntarily.
No-one is being forced, and I'm bloody sure many will come voluntarily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back