----------------

This is the set up...
Starters:
QB:1, RB:1, WR:1, TE:1, RB/WR:1, WR/TE:1, K:1, LB:2, DB:2, DL:2

Possible rosters....

QB-1, RB-2, WR-2, TE-1, KI-1, DB-2, DL-2, LB-2
QB-1, RB-2, WR-1, TE-2, KI-1, DB-2, DL-2, LB-2
QB-1, RB-1, WR-3, TE-1, KI-1, DB-2, DL-2, LB-2

13 total starters. The catch? There are no keepers and no bench at all. You just cut and sign players. So waiver order and weekly strategy is a big thing, given the bye weeks that occur in the NFL regular season.

*** FOR PEOPLE NEW TO NFL FANTASY FOOTBALL ***

This isnt like Dream Team in AFL. If someone gets drafted, they cant be drafted by someone else. Selecting someone doesnt cost any pretend money. Just choose a player of your choice.

It's like an NFL draft, so as people get drafted, from round to round the list of available players gets thinner and thinner to choose from.

If this were an online draft, as players got selected, the ESPN "Players" page would automatically remove players from the available list. Because the draft is being conducted offline, then people have to do a bit of manual work....a) scrolling thru the draft thread to see who has been chosen already, and b) scrolling thru the ESPN "Players" page to find another player not yet drafted.

Keep in mind the roster size mins-max for each position. You have 13 total players you can draft. And of those 13, the min-max for each position is listed in the draft thread, but i'll repeat it here....

QB-1:1, RB-1:2, WR-1:3, TE-1:2, K-1:1, DB-2:2, DL-2:2, LB-2:2

So if you draft 2 RBs, you wont be able to have 3 WRs. If you select 3 WRs you wont be able to have 2 TEs. If you select 1 QB, you wont be able to have 2 QBs.

When you make a pick, do not log off for hours/days. Stay online a little while to make sure that player is...a) not already drafted, b) doesnt put you over the limit at that position. Use CTR+F in your browser to search for players in the draft thread on BigFooty. If you made a mistake, you'll just be asked to make another pick, so stay online a little while "just in case".

If any 'noobs' have questions, dont apologize or feel bad. PM me or someone else and ask questions. I wanted to mix noobs with regs also so that noobs can learn by jumping in and having a go, learning from experienced people. In no time you'll get the hang of it all.

*** Waivers 101 for Newbies***

Once the draft is over, I will manually put all drafted players into your teams. And FA/Waivers will be opened right thru July, camp, August, pre-season, so that people can continue to strategize and change their rosters as they glean information from camp/preseason.

The way it works is that on the Tuesday (our time) after the MNF game, the whole Free Agency pool is locked with "WA" displayed beside every player thru to Thursday evening our time. Meaning if you want a player, you have to make a claim for him. Claims process in order 1-12 as per waiver order. If a person makes a claim for someone, they get moved to the back of the line. That new order will never re-set ever again. So as people make claims they keep getting moved to 12th spot, and those who didnt make a claim will move up.

So during this June/July/August time, I will have to check ESPN's settings if I can perhaps make it 7 days of waivers. Just so that if you want someone it'll have to cost you. Because after the waivers process on Thursday, the whole Free Agency pool returns to designating players as "FA", meaning you can pick them up for free without costing your waiver order. This would be how it works during the season, but for June/July i'll be looking to see if i can make it a whole 7 days straight of constant Waiver processing to not advantage anyone who gets online a lot, while others work etc and dont get a chance to pick up players for 'free'.

Whenever a player is cut from your team, he automatically becomes "WA" for 48 hrs. He can be "WA" while others might be "FA" between Thursday-Sunday. So if someone wants him, they may have to make a waiver claim for him as he might not be there as a "FA" if someone else was willing to use their waiver claim on him.

-----------

During a waiver, people can make claims for the same player(s), so first in best dressed as per waiver order 1-12. So when you make a waiver claim, you prioritize who you want (up to 7 players allowed).

So, if Tom Brady were a "WA", and im in 3rd spot, and wanted a QB for that week, I might have something like this...

1. Tom Brady (knowing he'll probably get taken by either 1st or 2nd person.
2. Sage Rosenfels (chance he might get taken by 2nd person), so...
3. JaMarcus Russell (should get him if no one before me does).

If you want more than one player from one position, you have to be careful not to have a too long list because ESPN will process them automatically and keep moving you to 12th spot.

When you make a waiver claim, you say Tom Brady first choice and have to nominate a player you want to CUT from your team. So this is why you have to be careful.

In the above example you would do it like this...

1. Tom Brady...nominate Garrard to be cut (cos he's on a bye week)
2. Sage Rosenfels....nominate Garrard to be cut.
3. JaMarcus Russell...nominate Garrard to be cut.

This way, no matter what, ESPN will always cut that one player for the first available of those QBs on WA. If ALL THREE were available, Tom Brady would get processed, and the Sage Rosenfels and Russell claims would get automatically canceled.

If you had three players on bye, a QB, RB, WR, you would do it something like this, where you order it from most valuable (to you) to least valuable...

1. Tom Brady......Garrard nominated
2. Steven Jackson.....R.Bush nominated
3. Chad Johnson.....D.Mason nominated
4. Rosenfels.....Garrard nominated
5. M.Bradley.....D.Mason nominated
6. J.Russell.....Garrard nominated
7. C.Buckhalter.....R.Bush nominated

---------

So part of the strategy with Waivers/FA is that you have to think about whether you want to blow your waiver order, or whether you want to let everyone else make claims, therefore you moving up the order, and then when the Waivers end on Thursdays, from Thursday thru to Monday (our time) you might want to pick up players 'free' when they have a "FA" designation.

Planning your bye weeks, where you might want to cut a top player on a bye, but pick him up again the following week because you worked your way to #1 on the waiver order.

Re: Alternate Fantasy League

I'll be in it. Need a challenge now. As I'm dominated my Yahoo league with a 10-1 record

I like it. No hoarding.. wide open choices and basically heaps of anxiety. :p

Yeah, it's been mega fun playing that league this year. It's so cut-throat. I like all kinds of leagues and ideas.
The two extremes of fantasy, making dynasty very dynasty and this the total opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will have to think REAL careful in the draft... At most you would want 1 or 2 people on a single bye week.. Imagine having 4 out at one :eek: could really **** you up... Especially if you are desperate to win that week, drop 4 studs...

Will have to think REAL careful in the draft... At most you would want 1 or 2 people on a single bye week.. Imagine having 4 out at one :eek: could really **** you up... Especially if you are desperate to win that week, drop 4 studs...

Yep, now you can see the cut-throat nature of it. One challenge is in shuffling your bye week players around so as to not lose too many at one time, or organizing a way for you to be #1 on waivers to reclaim someone you dropped on purpose knowing you'll pick them up again etc.

Count me in too - it's not like a full time job to look after a few.

**** yeah. That's the spirit.

That ****ed me up in the BFFFL2 draft - I got too worried about bye weeks and didn't pick players cos their bye week was the same as others I already had. Next season it will be - **** the bye weeks and pick the best available.

gg has any thought been given to the waiver period?

Would need to be long enough to give everyone a decent dip but not too long as to hamper people trying to pick a lineup early in the week.

I guess with a league like this you're relying on people to be active but I think the period for waivers will be important to get it right.

Would need to be long enough to give everyone a decent dip but not too long as to hamper people trying to pick a lineup early in the week.

I guess with a league like this you're relying on people to be active but I think the period for waivers will be important to get it right.

That's really gonna determine a few results along the way JD. Having that conditional pick with low waiver cue number within 24 hours of MNF will not effect the team make up as there are plenty 'fish in the sea' anyways. Everything has a balance JD. One week you'll be flying like a kite and the next shot down in flames with pretty much the same team structure. We see it on a weekly basis with fluctuating form.

The league im in just has a normal waiver period like we all do currently. But im open to other suggestions...if you have any specific ideas.

Another thing will be the trading period. Seeing as no player is safe from being cut and you dont even have a bench. But there are situations where you could trade your WR+RB for a better QB then drop your QB and pick up a WR and RB that you prefer from waivers. So there would be no reason to have a trade deadline.

During the bye weeks I can see the weekly waivers resembling a weekly draft. I guess my issue with a longer waiver period is how long people have to make FA pickups. For someone like me who is online pretty much constently due to work, I would prefer a shorter waiver period and longer FA, but maybe for others a longer period for waiver claims would suit.

Don't know the answer or what's best, but long waiver periods do frustrate me but I can see how they'd suit others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back