Rumour Cuzz arrested again :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Google says cost of incarceration on average per day per prisoner is around $300. $100k+ per year. Most would be there due to drug related offences.

Edit: Using 2015 incarceration stats that's 3.8 billion spent just on incarceration for 1 year. That doesn't include policing, processing or other costs to the community.

The bolded bit is interesting.

Then its up to the prosecuter on what action he wants to take, thats how our legal system works, if the prosecutor agrees to a fine or suspended sentence and then Ben continues to use and maybe harms someone, the prosecutor is going to look pretty damn incompetent, infact I think he is looking that way right about now.

How would you feel if after Ben had been charged and let go for a criminal offence he continued to use without any real punishment and due to his poor state caused injured or killed a relative of yours, do you think you would feel the prosecutor failed you as an Australian citizen and didnt do his job properly causing harm or killing someone close to you, after he was criminally charged but getting away with it scott free and having no real consequences for his actions.
You are talking out of your arse again Marty. That is not how our legal system works.
Prosecutors don't decide to fine or suspend sentence, that responsibility goes to a judge.
Oh Marty, you are full of hate and naivety.
When you grow up you will learn.
Drugs are a mental health issue.

You are talking out of your arse again Marty. That is not how our legal system works.
Prosecutors don't decide to fine or suspend sentence, that responsibility goes to a judge.

No the prosecutor doesnt agree to a deal with the defence do they. Yes the judge is required to sign off on it! But to save time and effort a deal is strick 8 times out of 10. Unless a deal cant be struck then the judge will have to make a ruling. In most legal cases both the defence or prosecutor know their chances of winning or losing and a deal is truck on those chances. No defence lawyer is going to take it to trial knowing they have a 20% chance of winning they are going to try and strike a deal with the prosecutor, unles they are as dumb as you!

Did Ben have this same mental issue before he broke the law and got involved in drugs!

At what age is the potential addict expected to recognise that drugs can be addictive?
I can remember a quote from Ben saying he knew he had an addictive disorder whether it related to alcohol, drugs, training, etc. never did anything in half measures - it was always "all or nothing". What a pity he didn't see the light until it was too late (before the drugs took control of him). That's the tragedy, both for himself and his family.

No the prosecutor doesnt agree to a deal with the defence do they. Yes the judge is required to sign off on it! But to save time and effort a deal is strick 8 times out of 10. Unless a deal cant be struck then the judge will have to make a ruling. In most legal cases both the defence or prosecutor know their chances of winning or losing and a deal is truck on those chances. No defence lawyer is going to take it to trial knowing they have a 20% chance of winning they are going to try and strike a deal with the prosecutor, unles they are as dumb as you!
What trial? Aren't we talking about summary offences here?

Don't care, if I'm paying taxes, for health care for someone who couldn't be arsed decided to break the law so he could escape reality. Then expects me to work hard earn more coin and pay taxes so the those taxes can look after him, he can go and get effed. I would rather my taxes pay for his incarceration.
Srs question. What is your attitude to somebody who has smoked for years, to then get diagnosed with Lung cancer in their senior years or whenever. Do you think they deserve medical treatment under our tax system, ie. Medicare?

Google says cost of incarceration on average per day per prisoner is around $300. $100k+ per year. Most would be there due to drug related offences.

Edit: Using 2015 incarceration stats that's 3.8 billion spent just on incarceration for 1 year. That doesn't include policing, processing or other costs to the community.

Interesting choice of phrasing.

Undoubtedly many offences are drug related, if we include what people do when they are on drugs, or what they do in order to get drugs (and especially if we include alcohol for the former). I daresay money spent to investigate and imprison those who commit violent drug-related crimes is well-spent.

In terms of those who are imprisoned primarily on charges for drugs, as opposed to "drug related offences", it's 10-11% of the Victorian prison population - and a fair portion of those are high-level importers and traffickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he is too far gone, its pitty you won't hear the AFL championing this cause, like they do racism and women's violence.
The AFL won't get involved. There is no mileage in it for them like there is in Racism and domestic violence.
I'm afraid to say that that the AFL is only interested in things that show them in a positive light. A former player out of his head on drugs doesn't fit the image the AFL want to portray as they try and portray the game as more or less drug free.. I'm sure his problems didn't start as soon as he stopped playing though. The 3 strike cover up rule doesn't do the players or the game any good what so ever.

Of course, you mean addiction is a mental health issue, not drugs. Drugs are a choice.

Not just talking about Ben here, but from my understanding a lot of drug addicts originally get on drugs to mask their mental issues.
Why not go to a doctor and get a referral to someone who probably knows how to treat your problem rather than self diagnose and prescribe (usually weed, because weed solves everything)? You (not you personally frenchconnection) aren't the only person in the world that's ever had the issue.

Interesting choice of phrasing.

Undoubtedly many offences are drug related, if we include what people do when they are on drugs, or what they do in order to get drugs (and especially if we include alcohol for the former). I daresay money spent to investigate and imprison those who commit violent drug-related crimes is well-spent.

In terms of those who are imprisoned primarily on charges for drugs, as opposed to "drug related offences", it's 10-11% of the Victorian prison population - and a fair portion of those are high-level importers and traffickers.

Yeah, my comment about most being drug related offences was probably a bit loose, but excluding alcohol, there would have to be a large number who are there purely for non violent crimes committed to support their addictions.

I'm actually surprised there are 10% in for drug offences, thats quite a lot. I guess some would be big time but a lot would also be street level dealers or one up dealing to support their habits.

I'm not against locking people up.

But for crimes committed to support addictions I can't see the point in purely punitive incarceration. Consider they have already committed the offence and are serving time.

That's so simple minded mate, sigh.

Probably because of the simple facts, don't try and over complicate things. You either act in a legal manner or illegal manner

You can complain as much as you like about what should and shouldn't be legal. Politicians will do as the public want, you don't think they make policies in an effort to lose voters do you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back