Scam CYBER ATTACKS Businesses Held To Ransom Across The World

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting a dangerous precedent, the ransom was paid in bitcoin.

Global meat processing company JBS Foods has confirmed that it paid the equivalent of $US11 million ($14.2 million) to a criminal gang to end a five-day cyber attack that halted its operations around the world last week, including Australia.

Global meat processing company JBS Foods has confirmed that it paid the equivalent of $US11 million ($14.2 million) to a criminal gang to end a five-day cyber attack that halted its operations around the world last week, including Australia.

Wow this sucks. Watch these hackers start causing food shortages all over the world in the near future.

You saw how crazy people went over toilet paper, just imagine what’s gonna happen when our food is limited. 😥🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

it could be like the Lady GaGa case that was solved by tracking the funds

Bitcoin is traceable. Will be interesting to see how they intend to launder it.

Edit: I think it was this video that explains how Dread Pirate Roberts (of Silk Road fame) was fooled into thinking he paid someone to commit an assassination. The guy who tricked him was eventually arrested based on the blockchain.

Last edited:
Hundreds of supermarkets have been shuttered in Sweden. They need to get on top of this, stuff JBS for buckling to a ransom demand.

— a form of digital hostage-taking where hackers encrypt victims' data and then demand money for restored access

• The FBI said the "ransomware" attack was so large it may be "unable to respond to each victim individually"
  • Victims of the hack have been identified in at least 17 countries, while New Zealand's education ministry said at least two schools there had been affected
  • Experts believe the attack was carried out by REvil, a Russian-speaking hacking group

I'm filthy I'm on the waiting list to do a Cyber Security course. I wanted to start now. Seems like this is going to be a growth industry.

It definitely is. Just a word of caution, not all cyber security courses are the same though. I work in the field and have seen some of the degrees and courses being offered out there, there's a few shoddy ones that provide no value to students.

It definitely is. Just a word of caution, not all cyber security courses are the same though. I work in the field and have seen some of the degrees and courses being offered out there, there's a few shoddy ones that provide no value to students.
Be interested to hear more. If not in this thread in DMs.

I signed up for a TAFE course, in part because it is 100% subsidised by the Victorian government and provides practical skills. I have a Computer Science degree and experience with networking so see it more of a hands-on refresher rather than becoming a security architect.

Masters degrees are not cheap so I'm not entertaining one.

Be interested to hear more. If not in this thread in DMs.

I signed up for a TAFE course, in part because it is 100% subsidised by the Victorian government and provides practical skills. I have a Computer Science degree and experience with networking so see it more of a hands-on refresher rather than becoming a security architect.

Masters degrees are not cheap so I'm not entertaining one.
I know a few who have gone the TAFE pathway before getting into the cyber industry. I'm not aware of the current curriculum but from what I know of it it definitely beats a lot of the entry-level Bachelor degrees that are offered by universities. And given it's 100% subsidised, I'd say it's a no brainer for you.

The computer science degree will be very useful regardless of whether you want to work in operations, pen tresting, security architecture etc. I've personally worked with guys and girls who have come from non-IT degrees like geology. Once you get your foot in the door, that comp sci degree is going to put you a step ahead with the fundamentals and know-what but from thereon the real world experience is what matters the most.

Personally, I think it probably should be illegal to pay the ransom.

Policy experts from the Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre want to make it mandatory for Australian companies to tell authorities when they are being targeted.

And they want more clarity on whether paying ransoms is legal at all.

They warn a "tsunami of cyber crime" has cost the global economy about $1 trillion, and say Australia is a soft target.

Personally, I think it probably should be illegal to pay the ransom.

Policy experts from the Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre want to make it mandatory for Australian companies to tell authorities when they are being targeted.

And they want more clarity on whether paying ransoms is legal at all.

They warn a "tsunami of cyber crime" has cost the global economy about $1 trillion, and say Australia is a soft target.

If a gangster kidnaps your family and puts a gun to your head demanding a ransom, should you be charged with a crime for paying up? I don't think so.

The same goes for cyber crimes. It is coercive. Contracts are unenforceable if signed under duress. If faced with that prefix a signature with 'VC' aka vi coactus. It is less obvious than writing 'signed under duress' and has the same legal meaning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back