Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought we had a thread on it but it turns out we just have bits and pieces across many threads. It's a real thing so it should have it's own thread by now.

Given the date of the original trailer in 2013(?) this game has at least been in some sort of development for a very long time. Witcher 3 was released in 2015 but a lot of the team were most likely moved on to other projects as they were done with their parts on it. An investor call in 2016 hinted that CDPR wanted this out no later than early 2019. I'm getting the impression that this will be on us much sooner than we think.

Interestingly, CDPR also said they wanted two more (including CP2077) large scale RPGs out before 2021.

https://www.pcgamer.com/everything-we-know-about-cyberpunk-2077/
https://www.techradar.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-release-date-trailer-and-news

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder if this is mired in development hell. I saw an article that it's being developed for the post Xbox One X/PS4 Pro generation of consoles.

Considering it would have been started in 2011-2012 (maybe earlier?) that means its development cycle would span 2-3 console generations.

I wonder if this is mired in development hell. I saw an article that it's being developed for the post Xbox One X/PS4 Pro generation of consoles.

Considering it would have been started in 2011-2012 (maybe earlier?) that means its development cycle would span 2-3 console generations.

I doubt they were full blown working on it in 2012 considering the witcher expansions and the gwent game. Developers need to go back to making games for pc and then dumbing them down for consoles not the other way round. They did always say release between 2019 and 2021 though so it's not in hell just yet.

Eastern Europe is becoming a renaissance of quality gaming driven by CDPR, 4A Games and now joined by Warhorse. Would love to see what CSG are up to.

The polish government put so much cash into cdpr, makes you wonder what we could manage with something similar here.

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you follow their twitter feed CD are often advertising for various types of positions on this games, especially visual artists. A little disappointing that it's been such a long wait but they already have the runs on the board to be trusted.

I think they said this was gonna be bigger than Witcher map wise.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

CDPR were given 'PS5' development kits along with a few other studios late last year. This shouldn't have an impact on development though. They have stated that they have already developed the game with future hardware in mind and will just scale it back if need be. The dev kits don't really affect the actual development anyway as they use their own engine to build it, the dev kit is just like a plugin or overlay that offers an IDE and can sign the software to work on target hardware. Even if you were an indie dev using Unity or Unreal (which both already allow you to target a platform) then Sony and Microsoft would offer you a kit (for a tidy fee) that plugs specifically into those engines :thumbsu:

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Even if they started working on it in 2012, none of that work would have been towards last gen versions of the game. It would have been focused on PS4/XB1/PC and given the perceived scope it may have moved to PS5/XB? to run the game properly which I would be fine with in all honesty.

thefendoff

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
your chest
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
CDPR have an eternal day one purchase from me. Don’t care how long their games take because I know they’ll be here when they’re ready

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Oh.. ive never played a witcher game. Not really an RPG fan myself (apart from the zelda series)
I wasn't really either. Then I played Witcher 3. Now I would trade my future first born child for ten minutes of Cyberpunk gameplay.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It'll be a day one purchase with season pass and I won't watch a single gameplay video or read a single review before purchase.

I think they said this was gonna be bigger than Witcher map wise.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back