ubolt

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Thunderbirds
for all you Cycling fans, Paris-Roubaix will FINALLY be shown LIVE on SBS from 10:10pm Sunday night.

FINALLY, after all these years we get to see the greatest one-day race on our television sets. After last years effort where it was pulled about a week out from the race and Stuey O'Grady took home the pave - we finally get it!

THANKYOU SBS!

I also just found out that SBS will be doing some sort of Highlights of the Giro d'Italia during the month of May.

not sure if it is 30 minutes highlights each night or what the go is - but i did notice they were doing something on the Giro - which is more excellent news.

SBS do well with their cycling don't they? they take the sport seriously (it helps too when Pay Television companies don't take the rights off them), but they do an excellent job in the sport of Cycling.

Well done SBS

Without doubt SBS is the best at sports coverage out of the free to airs.

Ashes 2005 was sensational, all live "except during the Tour" and a one hour highlights package of each day. They had a half an hour bonus show of the second test, and two weeks after the series a 2 hour highlights show.

World Cup 2006 was a class above 10's rugby world cup and 9's cricket. Every game possible live with replays of the simulantaneous games and one game per day replayed, as well as a number of panels and review/preview shows.

Olympic coverage and the World Athletics coverage also great, as well as the UEFA Champions League.

Give SBS the AFL rights!!!!!

what they do is fantastic. and they don't just do it half-arsed like the rest of them.

Their Olympic coverage in 2004 was BRILLIANT, granted Channel Seven's that year was very very good too. Sadly, Channel Seven won't dedicate as much time to it this year (timezones and AFL probably don't help). But SBS did it very well. Every other network does things half-arsed (even ABC).

It is always mentioned that "ratings" is the real reason why we don't see things. Problem is with that is sporting events aren't given a chance to "rate" (except Olympic Games and to a lesser extent Commmonwealth Games - and of course AFL Grand Final). I like to give the example of NRL in Adelaide. We had a couple of live games last year (Grand Final and Game 3 of SOO), we found out about 3 hours before the event that they would be live. Of course that's not going to rate. Build it up for a week and you've got some ratings.

SBS generally build up their coverage, let the world know what's happening. They did with the Ashes, TDF, World Cup and the Champions League. And for people that missed it - they get another chance to see it with highlights, replays etc.

oh well, we have to live with it - rant over! :)

Didnt know it was on until 30mins before it started, but there was an excellent doco about the 2007 Paris-Roubaix on tonight, featuring interviews with personel of team CSC as well as Stuart O'Grady.

Great watching and to anybody who dosent rate cycling as a challenge, go spend 6hrs and 9mins in the saddle on that track.

haven't seen it all yet but put it on Hard Drive to watch - saw the first 5 minutes and it looked very very good.

it is being replayed on SBS on Sunday sometime - 11:30am or around that time. But you better check Local Guides to work that one out.

It certainly looked very good - so everyone check it out if you get a chance on Sunday.

Don't forget the race 10:10pm Sunday night through till about 2am Monday morning!

Well, the race has been run and won, though unfortunatly I didnt get the chance to watch it:(.

Tom Boonen won the race for Quickstep, with Fabian Cancellara a close second for CSC and Allesandro Ballan coming third for Lampre all with the same time.

Stuart O'Grady was 5th for Team CSC 3 minutes and 57 seconds behind Boonen.

i've only just finishing watching it. VERY VERY different to a lot of Paris-Roubaix races. Usually one rider will go towards the end of the race, but a sprint of 3 men was different. Boonen was always going to win the sprint, he's bigger, faster and stronger than the other three. I kept expecting Cancellara to go and time trial the way home like we know he can do (he did it in a stage of the TDF last year when he took off with a kilometre or so to go). He tried a couple of times on Sector 2 and 3 of the Pave, but Boonen kept chasing him down. Ballan hung on to the two, even though he did look tired, and he finished third.

Stuie O'Grady took off with about 45km to go with the Champion of the Ruunde von Vlanderen (Tour of Flanders) Stijn Devolder, but they were eventually reeled in by the guys and then the three took off. It was a fantastic ride for Stuie, but he couldn't do it. He's showing some good form though.

Another Aussie showing some form was Baden Cooke. He was in the main peloton for a long time, which became the lead group as such, sadly for Baden he had a tyre puncture which needed a change, then he took a massive fall on a sharp bend and ended up in the ditch on the side of the road, wasn't to be for Cookey, but he is showing some good form too.

Good race, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thankyou SBS!

I watched it - and it was one of the more enjoyable races ive seen

Boonen was just too good when it counted - was hoping Fabian was able to finish all of Stueys hard work but it wasnt to be.

I thought for being 80% race fit, Stuey did an amazing job........ who would of figured it was only 6 months since last years crash. Hes one tough cookie thats for sure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back