Sport Cycling: The Classics - Handlebars, saddle sores and which Chateau is that?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say it's that time of the year again but we're a month and a half late. Tour de France starts tonight. The Aussie flagged team looking for stage wins, Team Knock-off Range Rover have gone with their young defending champ and the killer wasps in good form. Who wins? Do they even complete the tour before COVID runs through the peloton? Can I stay awake long enough to make it to the end of the stage? Does my productivity at work drop as a result of sleep deprivation? Only time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he's just gone and bloody done it. Jai Hindley, Australia's second ever Grand Tour champion. You little bloody legend!
Wish I could have stayed up but just pulled an all weekend for work and I'm exhausted.

Did he do it easy?

Wish I could have stayed up but just pulled an all weekend for work and I'm exhausted.

Did he do it easy?
Yeah, only lost 7 seconds across the time trial. If he had have pushed right to the line, would have been probably 4 seconds. Aussie team Bike-exchange - Jayco won the stage with their young Italian too. A great night for the Aussies all around. Was a late one and I paid for it at about 2pm this arvo. So tired.

Nice little youtube vid about how Bos won the Giro and some other Aussie cycling leading up to The Tour. Some really interesting insights into their tactics employed on Stage 20 when Jai took the lead.

Last edited:
Le Tour begins this Friday so here's a little primer from you from SBS - recommend the youtube video as they walk through the Womens and Mens routes.

Some further discussion on the route

Based on the Tour de Swiss field being decimated by a COVID breakout, we are potentially going to see a few things. Riders being wiped out mid-race with COVID, riders cracking after not being fully recovered from COVID and increased bubble restrictions being re-introduced potentially with spectators being restricted.

Based on the Tour de Swiss field being decimated by a COVID breakout, we are potentially going to see a few things. Riders being wiped out mid-race with COVID, riders cracking after not being fully recovered from COVID and increased bubble restrictions being re-introduced potentially with spectators being restricted.
I hope they get the spectators restricted - its very very dangerous now the way they carry on. All wanting their 5 mins of fame.

I hope they get the spectators restricted - its very very dangerous now the way they carry on. All wanting their 5 mins of fame.
I must say after the issue the the other year where the French police went after the woman that took down the peloton with the omi/opi sign, I feel like spectators have been better behaved. Events now have at least the final km barricaded off. Like you said and it's the same with many sports, the biggest trouble comes from those not there for the sport but the insta brag.

I must say after the issue the the other year where the French police went after the woman that took down the peloton with the omi/opi sign, I feel like spectators have been better behaved. Events now have at least the final km barricaded off. Like you said and it's the same with many sports, the biggest trouble comes from those not there for the sport but the insta brag.
Well they weren't on the Giro.