News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some people are wanting that to be the case, but it's not about Wilson, but about looking at issues without context and information compared to hearing all perspectives and having a discussion about that openly, and not condemning those who have a different perspective through semantics, labels and generalizations.

Personally I would make many changes in Australia in a blink of an eye. I would change the date of Australian Day away from a day that Indigenous Australia's find offensive and painful. I would have an inclusive flag, and also Indigenous verses in our anthem. I think we should absolutely continue to educate about the past and look to improve as the more I read, the more I cant believe how blissfully ignorant I was in my school days about the Indigenous perspectives of our past, and have since taken indigenous studies at university, and think still people have no idea how really how shameful some of our history really is, and we need to continue to navigate that as we move forward.

The AFL and our club should (and do) take an active role in leading that, and should reflect on how we can be better. But that doesn't mean we should seek to condemn every accusation of 'racial red flags' without due consideration, nor neglect to commend on the change and progress that has been made in society, the AFL and at Hawthorn in the process. It does zero justice to the culture that was created the way it has being (deliberately) framed. Clarkson put his heart and soul into his players, including Cyril, and to sum him up as 'he means well but he's racially uneducated', did him the least bit of justice possible. The club publicly is making all the right calls in their language and attitude towards this, but if we don't think there are some very disappointed individuals for those who are directly involved with how this has come out, I think we being naive.

For so many to sit there righteously and condemn how Lewis and etc handled the situation, I think has been poor form, as if we all would have absolutely acted any better, and as if there wasn't things in the way it was handled that were positive. I have (unfortunately) heard that word countless times in society, and I've never seen a heartfelt apology and it followed up, not once. People are a reflection of broader society, and the person who said it was a reflection of where he grew up, not a reflection of Hawthorn. What was a reflection of Hawthorn was it was dealt with and followed up on immediately. Could we be better, thinking back about what happened nearly 10 years ago... of course.. Should we use it as a chance to reflect on and improve and listen? Of course. But the idea that those words were somehow proof that Hawthorn has a terrible culture seemed to be lacking in evidence when hearing it, and reflects poorly on the journalist who tried to claim this was a racial red flag at Hawthorn. I would also ask whether the person who was directly involved in the incident would have wanted this to come out so publicly given it appeared to have been resolved in 2013, and now they have to go through this with intense media attention.
Awesome cs61.

Heritier Lumumba, Leon Davis and Andrew Krakouer will all cut contact with Collingwood because of the lack of action after the 2021 publication of the Do Better report into racism and institutional failures at the Pies.

The news clearly highlights to me that doing nothing is simply not an option. Doing nothing includes the Do Better approach, where even after the investigation and subsequent report, the lack of visible action or proper communication, especially with those involved, has the potential to undermine the club for years to come. What Indigenous player would choose to play at the Pies right now? And in the next few years the way things stand.

This has the potential to continue damaging the Hawthorn Football Club for years to come, from eroding the supporter base to undermining our list potential, but most importantly destroying our club's relationships with Indigenous and First Nations communities. If it was considered 'acceptable' to sweep individual incidents under the rug even 5 years ago, the lack of action at an institutional level — most clearly shown by our refusal to appoint an Indigenous liaison staff member to anything other than a token part-time position — still rankles with me.

With many of the same board members still in place, most distastefully the unapologetically racist and out-of-touch Kennett, and his cronies, there is less likelihood that proper action will result from the notional 'investigation' that is taking place.

The simple fact that we are talking about Impey making a beeline to sit Smith on his arse speaks volumes about where we're at today, despite a wonderful win for the club yesterday.

Mitchell is hopeful he and his teammate from the 2008, and 2013 to 15 premierships can meet up while the Hawks are in Darwin. Any meeting will be in the role of a premiership teammate and not as the Hawks’ senior coach, Mitchell said.

“I’ve left him a message. [There are] two aspects, me the coach of Hawthorn trying to reconnect with Cyril, but there’s also Sam Mitchell and Cyril Rioli, premiership teammates, who want to catch up and say hello,” Mitchell said.

“I’m probably more focused on that one, to be honest. What he is thinking and feeling with the club on a big picture - that’s up to him.
“He is a premiership teammate, [and] we shared some great memories together, so I’ll try and catch him up there, but it’s probably not one for the public forum. It’s just one where I try and see if I can get hold of him while I’m there.”

Mitchell is hopeful he and his teammate from the 2008, and 2013 to 15 premierships can meet up while the Hawks are in Darwin. Any meeting will be in the role of a premiership teammate and not as the Hawks’ senior coach, Mitchell said.

“I’ve left him a message. [There are] two aspects, me the coach of Hawthorn trying to reconnect with Cyril, but there’s also Sam Mitchell and Cyril Rioli, premiership teammates, who want to catch up and say hello,” Mitchell said.

“I’m probably more focused on that one, to be honest. What he is thinking and feeling with the club on a big picture - that’s up to him.
“He is a premiership teammate, [and] we shared some great memories together, so I’ll try and catch him up there, but it’s probably not one for the public forum. It’s just one where I try and see if I can get hold of him while I’m there.”

Hope they do and that we are none the wiser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee whiz, Cyril is a really private guy. The more that is made of this in the media and “sightings” etc I can’t see ending well.

Gee whiz, Cyril is a really private guy. The more that is made of this in the media and “sightings” etc I can’t see ending well.
I doubt he will show at the game. Why would he?

All the media would go nuts.

I have to laugh at how some people question his impact on the game and how good he actually was.

Anyone who has this frame of mind has only ever watched the game on television - and not very intently. Watching Cyril stalk opposition defenders and either bring them down or force them into utterly inept disposals was just a joy.

Anyone who has this frame of mind has only ever watched the game on television - and not very intently. Watching Cyril stalk opposition defenders and either bring them down or force them into utterly inept disposals was just a joy.
yeah I reckon if you mentioned the name Cyril to any of those oppo defenders, they'd still be looking over their shoulders...

I hope Mitch can catch Cyril privately without any cameras.
homer simpson episode 13 GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back