Rumour Cyril Rioli meets with Stuey Dew to discuss an AFL comeback with the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Here's one that got a mention on the Gold Coast board recently so I figured it might be fun to share it here as well.

Supposedly Stuey Dew was spotted talking to Cyril about an AFL comeback recently but I haven't seen any further details about the meeting than the ones just mentioned. Apparently we have been really keen on bringing him in for the last two years which coincides with the Darwin zone being incorporated into our academy program and obviously that means a guy like Cyril (or Burgoyne last year) would have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to NT footy through the our academy programs. Cyril and Dew have a history as premiership teammates from the '08 flag so there is a pre-existing relationship between the two that may play a factor here as well. Mark Evans would also have a relationship with Rioli.

Cyril is only 31 so he's obviously still young enough to make a comeback but the flip side to this rumour is the talk that he's very comfortable in retirement and doesn't really have any desire to comeback. Hard to know if there's ANY truth to this at all but it's a fun rumour nevertheless. I don't know if Bruce would be able to handle a forward line that contains Cyril and Rankine. It may just tip him over the edge on live TV and permanently change the viewer rating for AFL matches.

Here's one that got a mention on the Gold Coast board recently so I figured it might be fun to share it here as well.

Supposedly Stuey Dew was spotted talking to Cyril about an AFL comeback recently but I haven't seen any further details about the meeting than the ones just mentioned. Apparently we have been really keen on bringing him in for the last two years which coincides with the Darwin zone being incorporated into our academy program and obviously that means a guy like Cyril (or Burgoyne last year) would have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to NT footy through the our academy programs. Cyril and Dew have a history as premiership teammates from the '08 flag so there is a pre-existing relationship between the two that may play a factor here as well. Mark Evans would also have a relationship with Rioli.

Cyril is only 31 so he's obviously still young enough to make a comeback but the flip side to this rumour is the talk that he's very comfortable in retirement and doesn't really have any desire to comeback. Hard to know if there's ANY truth to this at all but it's a fun rumour nevertheless. I don't know if Bruce would be able to handle a forward line that contains Cyril and Rankine. It may just tip him over the edge on live TV and permanently change the viewer rating for AFL matches.
Wouldn’t he need to nominate for the draft?

Yes. Only way around it is he returns to hawthorn and is then traded (like hodge to brisbane)
Oh yeah, I forgot that hodge had “retired”
A token pick would get it done but in saying that I doubt it would happen

Can’t see Gold Coast giving up a list spot for a 32 year old who has been out of the game especially if we are seeing a cut to list sizes with Gold Coast being the most affected club with more listed players than any other club

Plus Cyril seems to be loving life these days

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh yeah, I forgot that hodge had “retired”
A token pick would get it done but in saying that I doubt it would happen

Can’t see Gold Coast giving up a list spot for a 32 year old who has been out of the game especially if we are seeing a cut to list sizes with Gold Coast being the most affected club with more listed players than any other club

Plus Cyril seems to be loving life these days

Could just be a bums on seats promo move though.

Cyril could just stand around and take a nice mark or kick a snap from the pocket here and there and people would still love it. He's one of those guys people just love to watch - likable character, skillful and electric.

A heavyweight team wouldn't need him because they already have bums on seats (in normal times, not Covid no pun intended). But a team like Gold Coast trying to get supporters on board and driving interest in their games from the public, something like this could be a good move.

Which old Hawthorn players arent getting linked to GCS or Bris ?

You forgot the Dogs and Bevo. Linked to Smith and Gunston (Suckling and Doc previous years were done)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q: How to you reel in a Geelong flog?
A: Just start a thread anywhere about Cyril Rioli, you'll hook one on the first page

Remove this Banner Ad

Back