Cyril Rioli VS Eddie Betts

Cyril Rioli VS Eddie Betts

• Cyril Rioli

Votes: 88 46.6%
  • Eddie Betts

Votes: 101 53.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts in my view is the very epitome of an opportunist. He won't be spending much time up the ground and he will be hovering next his key forwards waiting for any scraps.

Rioli is a bit more impactful as he can do more for his team during a game. His performance in the 2015 grand final had highlighted the significant steps he has taken as footballer. Once labelled 'overrated' but no longer the case as he's done it in the big games.

Rioli is a bit more impactful as he can do more for his team during a game. His performance in the 2015 grand final had highlighted the significant steps he has taken as footballer. Once labelled 'overrated' but no longer the case as he's done it in the big games.

Pinging his hammy every year, just as he was hitting his straps, didn't help much....His past 2 seasons have been his best, since he's altered his running technique.....A full season helps in dispelling any misnomers over his consistency.

Betts in my view is the very epitome of an opportunist. He won't be spending much time up the ground and he will be hovering next his key forwards waiting for any scraps.

Agree with this. Betts will kick more goals, Cyril does more overall. I think it is pretty close as Betts just kicks a ridiculous amount of goals despite Cyril being a better overall player.

No other player can kick the goals Betts does.

Right now or players in the past?
I read another post where someone said Betts has the best highlights package ever.

Jeff Farmer could do what Betts can and more (aerially superior).
Ablett Senior could do it on a consistent basis.
Peter Daicos was like very few in the history of the sport. He virtually paved the way for players like Eddie Betts to perfect the goals in which he started over three decades ago.

Yeh, still not as impressive as this video, and personally I think I could come up with a better top 5 that Ive seen for Betts, but I dont have all the film.

2 of those were clearly out-of-bounds to start with....So credit goes to the boundary umps, who giped on their duties.

However, not bad....He's clearly a whiz on the boundary in tight pockets, but he hasn't got Sizzles range as a footballer.

Stratton has had him in his back-pocket for us ever since he joined Adelaide....So from that perspective, I'm a tad biased.

Right now or players in the past?
I read another post where someone said Betts has the best highlights package ever.

Jeff Farmer could do what Betts can and more (aerially superior).
Ablett Senior could do it on a consistent basis.
Peter Daicos was like very few in the history of the sport. He virtually paved the way for players like Eddie Betts to perfect the goals in which he started over three decades ago.
Current players of course.

2 of those were clearly out-of-bounds to start with....So credit goes to the boundary umps, who giped on their duties.

However, not bad....He's clearly a whiz on the boundary in tight pockets, but he hasn't got Sizzles range as a footballer.

Stratton has had him in his back-pocket for us ever since he joined Adelaide....So from that perspective, I'm a tad biased.
Rioli is definetely a better player overall, Betts is just the master goal scorer for small forwards (currently playing).

LOL....Watch the vids dude & eat your words.

You could probably make another 5 videos each with 5 different goals that all could contend for the title of his 5 best goals. Not to mention all the ones he's selflessly dished off to his teammates in marginally better positions right after he's performed some magical feat rather than finishing it off himself and getting the glory.

Big shout out to Betts to finish an amazing career this weekend.
Champion on and off the field.
Just enjoyed watching his (and Cyrils) highlight reels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli is definetely a better player overall, Betts is just the master goal scorer for small forwards (currently playing).

Probably summarises it best. Betts longevity and the fact he finishes in the top 30 goals of all-time may give him a slight edge.

Probably summarises it best. Betts longevity and the fact he finishes in the top 30 goals of all-time may give him a slight edge.
Clear #1 of all time in score assists I think too (correct me if I'm wrong).

Rioli averaged only 0.3 fewer goals per game and yet was criticised for low output. Also had more disposals, tackles, assists, etc per game.

Well it's harder to maintain a higher goals per game over such a long period in largely garbage teams.

Eddie is a champion and clearly better as a pure small forward.

Milne and Betts are the two best small forwards of the AFL era and would each be named in the pocket if I was choosing a side. Cyril on the HFF.

You are not going to compete with Betts on a highlight reel for goals. Give it up.

For goals, I agree. In fact, I reckon Eddie is probably the best of all time for "highlight reel" goals.

Watching their highlights packages though emphasises their differences as players. Eddie's is boundary line goal after goal. Cyril's includes huge speccies, amazing tackles, generating opposition turnovers, clever assists, etc.

(Such as this: Dermie's favourite Rioli moments - YouTube )

Eddie one of the best goal sneaks of all time (and has Cyril for longevity) but not a great mark of the ball, not great defensively, etc. Cyril had all the tricks and was a more rounded player as a result.

Cyril probably got underrated partly due to being a small aboriginal player pigeon holed as a goalsneak, when in reality his best position is probably half-forward. He is probably also underrated because of how overrated he was by the media on occasion. Even in his last two years where he clearly lost interest or lost form, the media insisted at times it was vintage Rioli, which is an insult to his actual best form. His defensive, contested, and team work was also often overlooked.
e.g.
I can't find many more players with >0.99 goal assists per game over the career, if any.
His tackle numbers are up there with elite defensive midfielders.

Back