D&D with the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week I found my brother's 1st edition AD&D books (from 1978) and gave them to my 10 year old son to read.

He started copying out tables, making up a character and generally getting into it. I left him to it.

Earlier this week he asked me to come and play Lego with him, and like any good Dad I was like "jeez all right I suppose you're due some attention just let me finish this Candy Crush level".

Then he brought out 5 D&D characters he'd created in Lego figures - Gnome rogue, Dwarven fighter, human ranger (with pet dog), Elven mage and halfling druid - and I thought "ah crap I need to work out what we're doing here".

A few boring minutes trying to work out what their armour should be and what the AC actually means in AD&D 1st edition, plus the weapons and money they had, and then when I realised it was getting boring I just chucked a Lego snake at the group and said "ah! snake!" and just made it up from there mainly. 130 odd Harmontown podcasts and 3 nights of D&D came in handy.

My 4 year old joined in with his characters Frosto Super and Bat of Life (names he made up for Lego Superman wielding a staff and Lego Batman with a crossbow) and I ended up just making up the rolls we needed to make. So, a 6 was definitely a fail and a 14 might be success if it felt like that character would have enough smarts or skills to succeed. Sometimes I just rolled a d6 because my back hurt too much to reach for the d20.

Tons of rolls were just 50/50 or I pretended that roll was for the group and this roll was for the monsters when it worked out better/I could not be bothered with the sad face after lost hit points.

Frosto Super and Bat of Life are peripheral so far as 4y/o was forced to brush his teeth or decided to sit in the middle of the playing area to make a cool base for the group. It was actually a pretty good base, with barrels and boxes full of weapons, and a Christmas tree.
lego-dnd.jpg
With a random name generator web page on my phone we had an adventure to the town of Moonbright leading to a quest to the Temple of Shadows to find out where the townspeople were disappearing to and why all these zombies dressed like missing townspeople kept showing up. Pretty deep stuff. (The snakes are scared of the zombies, so a wave of snakes preceeds a zombie attack. Such intricate story telling!)

I was really dreading trudging through tables and working out rolls but it is much easier when you just make up whatever feels like it might be right. But we were still drawn to the tables and descriptions in the books because nice tables and matrices are hard to resist. Junior looked bored a few times while I Rain Manned over things like how I should work out if a thrown dagger would hit a snake. Hint: 50/50 dice rolls do for anything!

Plus we are hazy on which spells the magic guys have available - should they gain new spells or have all the level 1 spells at once? Magic missiles are a firm favourite.

Also XP doesn't seem to have come into it, and I am not sure how many HP they all have but we strictly followed the rules on how much starting money each character should have. It's alternately bodgey and overly officious depending on which tables we find in the books.

Other highlights include a cameo from Lego Hagrid as Boris the hermit who accosts the group on the road to the Temple (by this point we had moved to the lounge as the 4y/o had chucked a spack over eating his dinner and had been sent to bed so we had to get out of the bedroom) angrily waving a zombie fish he pulled out of the river, a miserly tavern owner, a drunken farmer/illicit whiskey maker (which involved a brief explanation of how you can make alcohol from corn and stuff), a town sheriff who commissioned the group to save the town (like, do your own job you git!), a mystical crossroads, and a few made up magical objects.

With 6 characters in the group they haven't really been pushed at all, its mainly been me just making up crap for a laugh.

The game broke up when Mrs was unhappy with progress in brushing teeth etc and roused on us for ignoring her. Women, hey? Always trying to destroy the gaming culture we guys try to build. Someone should start a sub-Reddit.

Just have to get in more imaginative creatures than snakes and Zombies. So I torrented the 4e Monster Manual (IP THEFT!) for the following sessions.

The group has since met a couple of bands of goblins and hobgoblins, a giant eagle gave them a magic sword, they've cracked the puzzle of the gates to the temple (they had to slot in the pendants they picked up from corpses along the way) and is now poking around the Temple of Shadows, so far surviving an attack by giant rats. We've worked out hit points and XP.

Question: Is 10 years old too young to introduce the idea of a sacrificing a virgin in offering to an evil demon?

Fast forward:
Word has spread. Tomorrow morning there will be 4 of his mates here to play. I have just gotten the 5e starter set for them. As long as there is killing, magic, treasure and more treasure they will be happy with whatever.

Last edited:
What the * did I just read? I think I have been horribly mislead as to what D&D is.

Tons of rolls were just 50/50 or I pretended that roll was for the group and this roll was for the monsters when it worked out better/I could not be bothered with the sad face after lost hit points.
Sounds like what a mate of mine does when playing Dungeon Quest with his 6-yo. :)

• Admin
We're now using real character sheets and 5e rules, and Jr has even corrected me on a couple of rules.

My initial made up adventure has merged into the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign. We're in the dungeon, level 1. It is not much more than a dungeon crawl right now, but the fun seems to be in getting the treasure.

I'm trying to do some decent adjustments to make it work with 5e, but that is slowing us down. I think I might be giving out too much XP and there seems to be a lot of treasure (rings worth 8000GP etc) and XP. The party is smashing the bejeezus out of a dozen skeletons at 50-odd XP each without taking much damage. The Dwarf fighter found a +1 shield which I believe would make the addition to AC +3 in total. They just found a ton of armour so the Dwarf is in plate mail and on 21 AC. At level 2.

I've found some of the tools that people seem to use - http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2dj78g/converting_dd_1st_edition_modules/

We need to start recording ammunition as the Ranger seem to have a butt-load of arrows.

Weight carried seems to be vague.

And we're still just blasting spells without rests etc.

But we're getting there. I have the three 5e books in the mail :)

• Admin
The 5e books arrived around Christmas and have been intensely studied. At least three adventures have been started, and I'm getting better at putting them together though I do get called out on some points of order when I make it up.

Almost every child who has entered this house has, at some point, been sat down and created a character with my son's help. They all seem pretty interested in that process. I want a scimitar! And a big hammer!

I played 1st Ed when I was quite young, back when AD&Ders were accused of being satanic cultists, killjoy Christians...

I think D&D is too complex for very young kids in general, or was, haven't seen 5e. I think the young kids love a hack n' slash, roll some dice, find some loot. A few friends and I created a simplistic system for their kids, just using six sided dice, you surprisingly don't need a whole lot of depth when it comes to kids, just a good imagination. it didn't require any significant math skills and we even created a system to randomise dungeons and encounters so they could ammuse themselves so the adults could do something serious, play cards against humanity!

• Admin
You're right Tas what I need to do is stop my straight-A-math-getting son from messing with numbers.

PS: He just rolled up his first Shadowrun character and is now helping me figure out that weird-ass system.

You're right Tas what I need to do is stop my straight-A-math-getting son from messing with numbers.

PS: He just rolled up his first Shadowrun character and is now helping me figure out that weird-ass system.

lol

The issue with the math isn't that it is too complex to figure out, it is that it slows down the play speed with some slow and sluggish fights and it isn't as visual.

I also loved shadowrun, it is convoluted but it is more visual with rolling a bunch of dice. We used to call it Yahtzee roleplaying.

For kids I always found that fun and quick is best because kids can lose concentration pretty easily. It depends on the age and maturity I guess.

I downloaded a bunch of short adventures from DriveThruRPG, and these are great for a one-off session with different groups kids. They are Pathfinder-based, but I'm getting the knack of adjusting the monsters on the fly and getting the kids to play nicely together.

One thing I do is, if they miss an attack roll by not too much I let them roll a D4 for a glancing blow, then take one point off the monster no matter what they roll. Our first adventure had one kid who got about one or two hits in a few hours. This makes sure they all get hits and damage rolls.

We also roll at the start of the game to find an order for decision making. They're not quite ready to stop shouting out suggestions but if we force them to take it in turns to decide the next step it stops the most boisterous kids from dominating play.

I tried getting my daughters playing a few years ago but they were probably too young. We had fun making characters and back stories but I probably stuck to the official rules a bit too strictly for the age they were at. I probably should have played it more like you.

I tried getting my daughters playing a few years ago but they were probably too young. We had fun making characters and back stories but I probably stuck to the official rules a bit too strictly for the age they were at. I probably should have played it more like you.
Our first session I stuck strictly to the rules. I have no classroom skills so I found it a bit stressful trying to keep five 10 year olds to the Proper Rules, not hitting each other etc.

Whatever keeps them interested. Fighting and getting treasure is about where they are at. I am looking for simplified character sheets (or I'll just make my own) that have info like how to roll initiative, how to roll attack, how to roll spells, how to roll damage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought a second hand Heroquest on eBay as it comes with all the models and has a basic system that's easy for kids to understand. My daughters love playing it a 8 and 7 years old. The American version is more complex than the original English version but the changes are an improvement and will be used as they get older.

I bought a second hand Heroquest on eBay as it comes with all the models and has a basic system that's easy for kids to understand. My daughters love playing it a 8 and 7 years old. The American version is more complex than the original English version but the changes are an improvement and will be used as they get older.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/heroquest.1083407/

Spewing I gave this (and other toys) to my nieces and nephews who just destroyed them.

They seem to be about $100 on eBay - is that about what you paid?

Have found a download page for all of the rules, tiles, cards etc. Might use my own minis and print n play.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/heroquest.1083407/

Spewing I gave this (and other toys) to my nieces and nephews who just destroyed them.

They seem to be about $100 on eBay - is that about what you paid?

Have found a download page for all of the rules, tiles, cards etc. Might use my own minis and print n play.

I think I got for about 90..so 100 is good. There is a great page with lots of links to downloadable quests... all the official ones as well as some fan created ones. Enough for years of play.

I use some other miniatures for the game as well just to make it more interesting. A house rule we have is that a room can only be searched for treasure once otherwise the girls spend all night doing that.

I think I got for about 90..so 100 is good. There is a great page with lots of links to downloadable quests... all the official ones as well as some fan created ones. Enough for years of play.

I use some other miniatures for the game as well just to make it more interesting. A house rule we have is that a room can only be searched for treasure once otherwise the girls spend all night doing that.
http://heroquest.no-ip.com/ - That the one?

Another day, another D&D session.

I am up to completely disregarding hit points for the monsters and just sticking to the story. Once a basic monster gets a few whacks they die.

But jeez, some kids can yap on and on in the face of requests to please let the current player have their turn... OK be quiet now... it's not your turn is it?... LOOK THIS DOESN'T WORK IF YOU ALL SPEAK AT ONCE!

Popping some Nurofen now.

I played a lot of D&D as a kid, both 2nd Edition AD&D and Basic D&D (and later 3rd and 4th edition). IMHO, the problem with little kids isn't that they aren't smart enough to figure out the rules. It's that the rules tend to get in the way of their creativity. Little kids can be unbelievably creative, but the rules in D&D are just way too restrictive... they're basically designed to encourage you to buy more supplements. The more "splat books" you buy, the more rules, the more options.

I am up to completely disregarding hit points for the monsters and just sticking to the story. Once a basic monster gets a few whacks they die.

There are a lot of systems that work like this out of the box. Consider checking out Savage Worlds which is designed for really fast, simple combat. It's been years since I've played it, but you used to be able to get the Explorer's Edition online really, really cheap. And it's particularly well suited to playing with miniatures.

Couple of hours D&D session yesterday with 6 kids - still have to direct them to look at me and speak clearly when they want to do something instead of yelling out to no one in particular at foghorn-level decibels "I'm gonna do a flip and stab someone! I'm gonna do a flip and stab someone!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back