D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent's quote on the Facebook page is just brilliant.
Not wrong, he said-

'Though you have returned, I will not give in. I will fight the hardest for the win. You want to end my life but I will fight to get the better, pain is temporary, but quitting is FOREVER!'

I still remember the day the news he'd passed away come through. I bawled like a baby. So odd for someone you'd not met in the flesh. I need to make the time to re-read this thread. So much wisdom and positivity in it. **** we miss him on the boards!

I was on holiday at the time. I came to BigFooty for some unrelated reason, meaning to be fairly quick, but saw all the 'RIP Didaka's' and it shellshocked me pretty hard. I'd had PM conversations with him offering him support (I was just recovering myself from cancer) which he never seemed to need, and everything seemed to be looking up for him - I then took a break from BigFooty and came back to this... and it was just so horrible.

Amazing that one kid from Melbourne could touch so many of us. The internet can be an amazing thing.

Because of bowel cancer history in my family, I've had regular colonoscopys . Not very pleasant but I urge anyone with similar history to speak to their Doctor about having one, you owe it to your family.

Lucky my Family does not but I agree if you do have History keep getting Checked as if you Find it Early Chances of Recovery is Very High

and I ain't goin nowhere until I see another premiership cup held up by a bloke wearing black and white on the last weekend in September
i lost my s**t when i read that. First time i've heard of Didaka, other than the medal, seemed like a really great bloke. :(

Just over three years ago since the world lost him.

Has anyone kept in contact with his family? I wonder how they are doing?

I hope they are doing well. I can talk from current experience that losing a loved one to this disease, especially young, really hurts. I mentioned a couple of pages (and two and a half years ago), that my sister has terminal cancer. She is days away now from finally succumbing to her illness.

The hardest thing isn't just the moment it happens, which to be honest will be more a relief than anything, it's watching someone deteriorate like she has.

She's 39 now, and she looks and moves like she's 80. She is in that much pain they have had to put her on a constant stream of morphine, and the side effects of all the treatments she's had are really starting to take their toll too. It's very hard and very painful to watch someone slowly become a shell of themselves.

That's why I'm glad this thread is still here, and that our board continues to remember Brent's life, and courageous battle to the end. Aside from the inspiration and words of caution/wisdom he gave us here, I would hope that if at any time his loved ones feel down about their loss, that they can look at things like this thread and know that he touched so many people, his life has positively affected many and his memory and influence will live on.

Just thought i'd add my sister passed away Tuesday night.

Devastated about the loss obviously, but glad I was there for her last moments, and that her suffering is finally over.
Sorry for your loss buddy.

All you can do is enjoy the great memories shared and remember with a smile.

Devastated about the loss obviously, but glad I was there for her last moments, and that her suffering is finally over.

Sorry to hear it though it is a relief for those that couldn't stand to see her suffering anymore. So young. So senseless.

It's a painful time for you and your family, and there is nothing that anyone can say to ease the grief.

Our thoughts are with you.:rainbow::hearts:

Thoughts are with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been a long time since I revisited this thread and so I did not see this post unfortunately. Please accept my condolences and I'm sure that all who sail in this ship wish you well. I hope that the pain you feel subsides and leaves only the good memories of your sister.

Take Care

I'm sorry for your loss.
Condolences to your family.

Sorry for your loss, I understand the mixed feelings as my brother passed away with cancer and it was horrible to watch what he went through.

Sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you. Despite the inevitibility of the situation, is still must be gut wrenching

Rest in peace Brent.
Just reading through this thread.
Very very sad.
So young.
Reminds us:

the things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

Last edited:
PieLebo87 - only a an 18 year old Middle Eastern kid in 2005 would come up with a name like that. I'm just too lazy to change it now. It's been a long journey, and the older members wouldn't know who I was if I changed it as I read more than I post nowadays. But boy, has BF been feisty, boring, frustrating, pleasant and many more.

Didaka was one of those members back in the days I'd agree with, disagree with, discuss with, digest with and more.

In 2008, I was 21, he was 24, he had life altering news. At 24, you're still a child learning about life and still unsure of the direction you're going. He got thrown in the deep end and was forced to man up and fight.

Unfortunately, on the 13th of April 2011, he lost his battle. Wouldn't have been more than 27-28. Way too young. Way too early. I was 23, he wasn't even diagnosed with cancer at that age.

We, as a collective, showed that football takes a back seat some times, we're humans first. Life happens before football does. The show of unity and togetherness came out. It didn't matter who you supported chasing a red pill around a paddock.

I'm only really posting because I'm in awe of life. I'm 28 now, since then have gotten married and have a 4 month old. Even this little Magpie, he'll be 5 months in less than a couple of weeks. Feels like yesterday I was at the hospital with no idea what was going to change my life.

Feels like yesterday I was a 20-21 yo discussing footy with Didaka on here.

Time seriously flies by. Even the best of us take it for granted. In a months time we'll be close to the half way mark of 2016. In 4 years, the 90s will have started 30 years ago. Time doesn't wait for anyone.

It's another day, it's another breath, and I'm awake today reading through this thread and although tonight I'll be back to normal, getting ready for work in the morning, forgetting about time, right now, I'm stuck in the moment of not forgetting about life, and how time goes fly by. We're breathing, we've lost loved ones, we've had soldiers die for us. Life is a beautiful thing. It's short, it's sweet, it's got it's sour moments, but overall, it's a bloody blessing.

Lest we forget.

Floreat Pica.

PieLebo87 - only a an 18 year old Middle Eastern kid in 2005 would come up with a name like that. I'm just too lazy to change it now. It's been a long journey, and the older members wouldn't know who I was if I changed it as I read more than I post nowadays. But boy, has BF been feisty, boring, frustrating, pleasant and many more.

Didaka was one of those members back in the days I'd agree with, disagree with, discuss with, digest with and more.

In 2008, I was 21, he was 24, he had life altering news. At 24, you're still a child learning about life and still unsure of the direction you're going. He got thrown in the deep end and was forced to man up and fight.

Unfortunately, on the 13th of April 2011, he lost his battle. Wouldn't have been more than 27-28. Way too young. Way too early. I was 23, he wasn't even diagnosed with cancer at that age.

We, as a collective, showed that football takes a back seat some times, we're humans first. Life happens before football does. The show of unity and togetherness came out. It didn't matter who you supported chasing a red pill around a paddock.

I'm only really posting because I'm in awe of life. I'm 28 now, since then have gotten married and have a 4 month old. Even this little Magpie, he'll be 5 months in less than a couple of weeks. Feels like yesterday I was at the hospital with no idea what was going to change my life.

Feels like yesterday I was a 20-21 yo discussing footy with Didaka on here.

Time seriously flies by. Even the best of us take it for granted. In a months time we'll be close to the half way mark of 2016. In 4 years, the 90s will have started 30 years ago. Time doesn't wait for anyone.

It's another day, it's another breath, and I'm awake today reading through this thread and although tonight I'll be back to normal, getting ready for work in the morning, forgetting about time, right now, I'm stuck in the moment of not forgetting about life, and how time goes fly by. We're breathing, we've lost loved ones, we've had soldiers die for us. Life is a beautiful thing. It's short, it's sweet, it's got it's sour moments, but overall, it's a bloody blessing.

Lest we forget.

Floreat Pica.

Feels like yesterday man. :( RIP Didaka.

I was reminded of Didaka tonight when the thread for voting on the Didaka medal was opened. I remember following his journey from the beginning on this thread, though I am not sure if I ever posted. After all these years I have just read the whole thread again, from start to finish. What a wonderful legacy this is. Like many others, I never knew Didaka. Like many others a lot has happened in my life since those times, yet here we still are. It is the early hours of a Saturday morning, and instead of sleeping I am thinking about how lucky I am to be healthy and to be able to simply live and enjoy my life. Cheers Didaka for the unexpected reminder of how lucky I am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back