Rumour D Mac

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know that I'd call it widely reported. It was reported once and we've been just running with $400k since then.

He was listed as RFA prior to re-signing, therefore he was in top 10-11 paid players. He was our sole outside player, still considered to provide elite run and carry with an elite kick. There was rumour a couple of Melbourne clubs were keen on him, but he signed early with us thumbing his nose at RFA offers. Which of those factors suggest pay cut? Remembering he was in top 25% of paid players in his last year.

Has he even actually won a BOG yet?.. I think it was meantioned last year during a game that he hasn’t till that point..

Edit: fixed it so it makes sense.. bloody predictive text!..
Didn’t DMac win a yellow jacket early on. Surely there was a Bog in that year.
Has the game changed so he’s less effective nowadays?

Has he even actually won a BOG yet?.. I think it was meantioned last year during a game that he hasn’t till that point..

Edit: fixed it so it makes sense.. bloody predictive text!..

I think the game against Melbourne that he got his only Brownlow vote he could genuinely have been BOG. But that's probably the only time he'd be remotely close. Terribly mediocre career with us, shitful 200 gamer on the horizon.

Didn’t DMac win a yellow jacket early on. Surely there was a Bog in that year.
Has the game changed so he’s less effective nowadays?
What? As if he’s ever been close.
2008 - Bock
2009 - Vince
2010 - Douglas
2011 - Thompson
2012 - Thompson
2013 - Sloane
2014 - Talia
2015 - Dangerfield
2016 - Sloane
2017 - Crouch

That's some very poor risk management. Also, why would you want to get rid of Douglas when he's comfortably outperforming all of the players that could possibly take his spot?

I'd actually say both Greenwood and CEY, the guys fighting for his spot, are comfortably out performing him.

Douglas has had 1 standout game, a few acceptable and mostly s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this was posted last year i would've said i don't care if he goes in a heart beat

but

I like the footy he's playing at the moment and we can't afford to replace another player so soon again our depth will wear thin eventually
Oh... So he is out of contract?
That explains why he is playing ok this year (just like the last time he was out of contract).

Nah, he looked a superb prospect early days, a lot to be excited about.

Rat is reminding me of early DMack tbh.

Lots of early promise that never really developed, softness (though Mackay has gotten rid of the softness the past few years finally) etc.

Rat is reminding me of early DMack tbh.

Lots of early promise that never really developed, softness (though Mackay has gotten rid of the softness the past few years finally) etc.

Rat has probably had more 25 touch games than Mackay has had in his career, kicked more goals and been twice the player Mackay has been even if the Rat goes into hiding in tough games.

Rat has probably had more 25 touch games than Mackay has had in his career, kicked more goals and been twice the player Mackay has been even if the Rat goes into hiding in tough games.

Mackay has had 11 games with 25 or more touches. He's kicked 56 goals.

Atkins had had 16 games with 25+ touches but has kicked only 33 goals

Of course Mackay has played 3x as many games

Mackay 25+ disposal games = 11/193.

2008 - 0
2009 - 5
2010 - 2
2011 - 1
2012 - 0
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 0
2016 - 1
2017 - 0
2018 - 0

Rory Atkins 25+ disposal games = 16/66.

2015 - 0
2016 - 7
2017 - 6
2018 - 3

He was listed as RFA prior to re-signing, therefore he was in top 10-11 paid players. He was our sole outside player, still considered to provide elite run and carry with an elite kick. There was rumour a couple of Melbourne clubs were keen on him, but he signed early with us thumbing his nose at RFA offers. Which of those factors suggest pay cut? Remembering he was in top 25% of paid players in his last year.
Yeah, but it could have been that he had a back-ended contract. We just don't know.

I'd actually say both Greenwood and CEY, the guys fighting for his spot, are comfortably out performing him.

Douglas has had 1 standout game, a few acceptable and mostly s**t.
I disagree that Greenwood and CEY are fighting for the same spot as Douglas. They are both inside midfielders. Douglas can play inside, but it generally more of a linking midfielder that can go forward and kick goals.

If any of those 3 get dropped this year, I expect it will be CEY (current good form notwithstanding).

Mackay 25+ disposal games = 11/193.

2008 - 0
2009 - 5
2010 - 2
2011 - 1
2012 - 0
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 0
2016 - 1
2017 - 0
2018 - 0

Rory Atkins 25+ disposal games = 16/66.

2015 - 0
2016 - 7
2017 - 6
2018 - 3
If you have more time than me, would love to see some other totals;

Top 15 B&F finishes
Any Brownlow votes
Any AFLCA votes

I suspect the only stat he clicks over is games played.

Been watching/playing/ official in footy for 40 years. David MacKay will be the unresolved mystery that will haunt my remaining years.

I simply can't point to any form of empirical measuring that gets him to almost 200 AFL games across 5 different coaches.

He's my Bermuda Triangle, my White Whale. There's some way he's made a career but I know now that I will never work out how it's happened.

Need to let it go

If you have more time than me, would love to see some other totals;

Top 15 B&F finishes
Any Brownlow votes
Any AFLCA votes

I suspect the only stat he clicks over is games played.

Been watching/playing/ official in footy for 40 years. David MacKay will be the unresolved mystery that will haunt my remaining years.

I simply can't point to any form of empirical measuring that gets him to almost 200 AFL games across 5 different coaches.

He's my Bermuda Triangle, my White Whale. There's some way he's made a career but I know now that I will never work out how it's happened.

Need to let it go
Mackay has 1 career Brownlow vote which he got in 2015 which was that super wet game against Melbourne where he got 23 disposals and 13 tackles.

Atkins has 11 career votes, 1 in 2016 and 10 last year.

Happy for Dougie, Dmac and Otto all to move on.

Solid servants but it feels like we will never go all the way with these guys as our senior veterans to call on in the heat of battle

Bit harsh on Dougie. Stats this year equate to his jacket year I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back