Draft Watcher D_P_S Draft Watch 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a quick note on davies-uniacke for you. He is actually pretty quick. His agility is right up there.
In a game he dances in and out of packs with his quick feet.

His size can be deceiving, yes he is a solid lad but his much more than a big inside mid. He is one of the best if not the best overall prospect i have seen come through the APS in the last 6 years.

Just a quick note on davies-uniacke for you. He is actually pretty quick. His agility is right up there.
In a game he dances in and out of packs with his quick feet.

His size can be deceiving, yes he is a solid lad but his much more than a big inside mid. He is one of the best if not the best overall prospect i have seen come through the APS in the last 6 years.
Yeah I said he was above average for his size, he isn't Dangerfield quick but for his size he has great speed, everyone was impressed with Worpel in the championships but I'll admit that Davies-Uniacke made the best impression for me, better all round game for an inside mid for me

Thanks for profiles. I don't know how we could do it but I would love 3 out of Fogarty, O'Brien, Clark, Rayner, Davies-Uniacke and Worpol.

Thanks mate..a few queries. I thought Hogan Henderson and Fitzgerald would be in that mix, especially since Hogan/Henderson played futures game at Windy Hill and Fitzgerld will play Nationals.
Bugger forgot about those 3, they are on the fringe of the 50 thus far but yeah I still have a few more players to add yet and need to look back through last years notes of who I got to see play and who I didn't get to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger forgot about those 3, they are on the fringe of the 50 thus far but yeah I still have a few more players to add yet and need to look back through last years notes of who I got to see play and who I didn't get to see.

Well mate you are not going to get them all..its a great effort. I see one inside the top 50 and the other 2 in 50-70

Don Patch Sword's Draft Preview

Another year and another draft and this one is looking like a great year for talls after last years midfield heavy draft, its hard to say how this draft will compare to last year but we already have a good idea of what kind of talent will be available so here is what we know so far.

Who are the top academy prospects thus far?

Once again the academies should feature heavily early in the draft with talented Key Forward Jarrod Brander from the GWS academy who shares similar traits to Nick Reiwoldt and Jarryd Roughead, he moves well for his size and he has clean hands overhead and great balance and skill with ball in hand. Connor Ballenden is part of the Brisbane Lions academy and he looks a beauty and should partner with Josh Schache and cause headaches for opposition defenders over the next few years. Connor is a nice size and moves better than his 198cm frame would suggest and his foot skills are also top notch. Brayden Crossley is a man mountain tied to the Gold Coast academy, playing similar to Shane Mumford he uses his big frame to good use in ruck contests but he also tackles hard and imposes himself even after his ruckwork which should endear himself to his teammates. Charlie Spargo announced himself in the TAC Grand Final with an impressive performance in the midfield he is the son of former North Melbourne player Paul Spargo who unfortunately didn't get to 100 games so Charlie is now aligned to the GWS academy. He is a tough midfielder who is able to impact the scoreboard and he offers leadership and skill in spades.

Which state is looking the strongest?
South Australia didn't have a single player in the Top 20 of last years draft but that will change this year with top 10 prospects Darcy Fogarty and Callum Coleman-Jones and not far after them are the Half-Back/Wingman Andrew McPherson, Father-Son prospect Jackson Edwards, the tough and skillful Isaac Hewson and Nathan Krueger who could be anything. Vic Country currently look stronger than Vic Metro but the same was said this time last year yet Metro surprised many with how well they did but looking back at last years top 20 you can see why. Country have top prospects Lochie O'Brien, James Worpel, Hunter Clark, Paddy Dow and Luke Davies-Uniacke who are all midfield prospects in the Top 20 mix. Many would remember young gun ruckman Sam Hayes who played for Metro last year impressing in the ruck and up forward but he will be joined by other great prospects in Jaidyn Stephenson, Cameron Rayner, Jack Higgins, Joel Garner and Noah Balta.

Who are the Key Position players to look out for?
Ive mentioned academy prospects Brander and Ballenden who look like top 5 prospects but there are still some talented key position players available to the rest of the field. First ill start with forwards and there are plenty. Cody Henness from Gippsland Power is your traditional key forward in the sense that he imposes himself on the contest and will make defenders earn every possession they manage to get, he hits packs hard and loves to tackle but he is also a very good shot at goal. Noah Balta from Calder Cannons has a lot of tricks, he moves well and has a tremendous leap and great hands to go with it, he took an absolute cracker in last years All-Stars game. Tom De Koning from Dandenong Stingrays is still very skinny but his potential is enormous, he has a great leap with the ability to push in the ruck with his size and great hands. Now for the Defenders and Western Australia have two very good prospects in Sam Taylor(Swan Districts) and Aaron Naughton(Peel Thunder), both are terrific intercept players with the ability to shut down opponents but also provide great rebound. Oscar Clavarino from Dandenong Stingrays played some championship games last year and is currently the most highly rated key defender in the draft. There are also some defenders yet to show their full potential with South Adelaide's Nathan Krueger, Northern Knight's Joel Naylor and Woodville-West Torren's Thomas Schmusch capable of turning some heads as the year goes on and could rise up everyone's rankings in the coming months.

Hayes looks impressive but who are the other top Ruckman?
Sam Hayes wowed recruiters last year with his impressive performances in the championships earning him All-Australian honors, he still has a lot of development left but he has so many elite traits and his ability to hit the scoreboard will make him hard to pass up early in this years draft. Hayes isn't the only quality ruckman though with Sturt's Callum Coleman-Jones hot on his heels. Callum is a smart player who eliminates the old saying "never handpass to a ruckman", Callum is a smart user of the ball and his kicking is also very good for his size, he is physical and like Hayes can cause damage up forward, he is more ready-made compared to Hayes and it will be interesting to see who is drafted first. Brayden Crossley who i mentioned earlier is also a very good ruckman able to play forward and he is even more ready-made then Callum, he is a very big boy and like Mumford is going to tackle hard and impose himself. Although he isn't a Ruckman size yet Sandringham's Hayden McLean could become a handy Ruckman, playing mostly forward last year i could see him spending more time in the ruck to further impress recruiters. Hayden may not be as athletic as the other forwards in this draft but he does have the size and smarts to rotate in the ruck which i predict will be an important role in the coming years. Finally another academy prospect Nathan Richards who is tied to GWS has looked impressive with his marking and ability to move around the ground.

Which Father-Son prospects should feature high in the draft?
There are two highly rated Father-Son prospects in this years draft, Northern Knight's Patrick Naish son of former Richmond player Chris Naish and Glenelg's Jackson Edwards son of former champion Adelaide player Tyson Edwards. Patrick is a skillful midfielder who is a great user of the ball and has clean and sharp hands, he is the type of player you want holding the footy he makes great decisions and his disposal is also very good by hand and foot. Jackson has an elite mix of speed, composure and kicking the former arguably the best out of all the prospects in this years draft. He has great movement in traffic and is able to sidestep opponents with ease. His vision is incredible able to hit kicks and handballs under pressure in the blink of an eye. Both theses kids are touted as top 20 prospects and its not hard to see why.

Finally who will be the Number 1 pick?
The all important question, who will be the number 1 pick in 2017? This time last year Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jack Bowes and Will Brodie where some of the names touted for the number 1 pick, all three still got selected in the top 10 but it does show how much things can change and a player that i don't discuss here might become the number 1 pick but if it is to be the case then they would have deserved it especially if this kid im about to bring up isn't pick 1. Glenelg's Darcy Fogarty is the most popular player in most draft analysts eyes and its not hard to see why because this kid is a freak, Darcy is a 190cm midfielder able to impact anywhere on the ground he just imposes himself on the contest and will fight tooth and nail to have the footy in his hands. Darcy is super physical and near impossible to take down, you could say its his mature body that helps him dominate but its not just his size and attack that's impressive its also his skills and composure with ball in hand. I genuinely think Fogarty will be a superstar midfielder in the competition very early on. Bendigo Pioneer's Lochie O'Brien is a complete midfielder with elite skills, decision making, endurance, speed and a great mark overhead for his size. He wins the ball on the inside and outside getting his possession all over the ground, if Lochie has the ball running inside 50 you can almost guarantee the ball hitting the forward on the chest he just has incredible vision. Discussing this kid with Kevin "Shifter" Sheehan last year he also believes this kid will be a star and its quite easy to see why. Outside of these two you have the academy players in Brander and Ballenden who could easily be bid on for Pick 1 with both having tremendous upside. Western Jet's Cameron Rayner is a Christian Petracca type kicking bags of goals last year in the TAC. Eastern Range's Jaiydn Stephenson is an electric forward who needed to be stopped by eventual pick 1 in last years draft Andrew McGrath. In their elimination final encounter if the McGrath move wasn't made Jaidyn would have won Eastern the game single handedly and we would have seen a very different TAC Cup Grand Final. Other players in the mix Sam Hayes, Callum Coleman-Jones, Jack Higgins and Hunter Clark. The depth in the first round is looking strong this year.

Ill be attending many TAC games this year including this weekends practice match between Murray Bushrangers and Dandenong Stingrays so if you want to stay up to date with what im doing including game reviews, match day updates and if you just want to find out more about the bright young prospects follow the following links and Like AFL Draft Hub on Facebook for all the draft related news and information you need.

My Twitter: @charbox2
Bigfooty: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/draft-profiles-and-rankings-2017.1155992/

AFL Draft Hub
Twitter: @afldrafthub
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afldrafthub/?ref=br_tf

Last edited:
Great review. Can't wait to see your write ups about those boys that haven't as yet played TAC but will be eligible for this years draft.

Cracking effort and well worth a bit of self congratulating. I will jump early and say this crop is going to be a cracker and can't see another one as good as the 2001 superdraft but the top prospects are going to be top players when they get into the AFL system. Fogarty is also my number one and as you outlined sometimes the bigger body against the other younger players can give a false reading but he is a star. Pleasingly there a number who are in the range, can't wait for the national champs.

Was terrible weather but that didn't stop the talent from shining today between Dandenong and Murray.

I'll have a full recap from the 16s, 17s and 18s games here on Monday afternoon
What games are you going to watch this weekend? Cannons play Jets on Saturday. Two games at 12 and 2pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back