Daft drafting, terrible trading...or just very, very unlucky?

Remove this Banner Ad

Say the kids that come in are good? Say they make a difference?
I think it's been more unlucky than anything. That said, the club is cooked.

See y'all in 8 years.
No need to get all over dramatic. I'd look on the club as an installation and you'd be very interested in watching it take on some form and structure.
We do seem unlucky. Even when we play. Those last 2 games the ball would not bounce our way. If anyone knows some ooga booga it would be good to lift the bad luck off. Or pray or something.

This is flawed logic.

We've been in the top half of the ladder for ages (with late teen picks in the draft) and if you combine this with the GC/GWS compromosed drafts - picking talls for the sake of picking talls would mean we'd now have a bunch of 200cm spuds like Hannath?

Surely you'd prefer Weller or Tucker than Hannath or even Tabener?

Tabs and Hannath weren't even taken in the national draft (both rookie draft).

No I'd prefer guys like Jack Darling, Brodie Grundy, Tom Barrass, Ryan Burton, Jake Lever or Rory Lobb. Players taken after pick 15 or so in the draft. A fallacy that there's no tall talent around then.

All drafted at spots that top 4 (or at least top 8) teams had.

We've stuffed our first round picks for years.

Say the kids that come in are good? Say they make a difference?

No need to get all over dramatic. I'd look on the club as an installation and you'd be very interested in watching it take on some form and structure.
We do seem unlucky. Even when we play. Those last 2 games the ball would not bounce our way. If anyone knows some ooga booga it would be good to lift the bad luck off. Or pray or something.

I will always be a fan. But as most fans I need some sort of hope to fuel my motivation and manic curiosity towards the club.

The list is in horrible shape with Bennell cooked and Apeness and AP in the oven. Poor drafting and bad luck with AP, Apeness, Bennell, Simpson, Morabito and Pitt hasn’t helped. I don’t think Ross could have played any more youth when we were challenging but after playing Suban in round 1 he lost me. I know it’s a minor thing but it showed me that he had no idea of where the club was at. Playing Suban over a youngster after his pre-season was an inexcusable selection. You shouldn’t need to have 30 touches 3 weeks in a row to get game. Youth over underachieving role players should be the bare minimum. Hopefully now RTB realises that we only won 4 games last year and has an eye on the future.

Our youth is the major concern and I still have no idea know if Weller, Langdon, Tucker, Blakely or anyone else is going to be at least consistent B grade players. Sheridan and Crozier need to be moved on, they are Suban 2.0’s and just keep other players that might make it out of the team. Maybe a little rough on Crozier, but for FFS don’t play him at half forward where he’s been tried and failed numerous times!!!

Fyfe leaving is an another worry. Yes it may help us rebuild quicker and we could get lucky but he offers so much to the club. We need a strong leader and someone good in front of the camera after the beltings and he’s that guy. Who will captain if he goes? Sunny? Neale? Honestly… I couldn’t see us not becoming the joke team of the comp for at least another five years. Fyfe has lots of other qualities too of course and hopefully we can keep him. But why would he stay though, really?

I will always be a fan. But as most fans I need some sort of hope to fuel my motivation and manic curiosity towards the club.

The list is in horrible shape with Bennell cooked and Apeness and AP in the oven. Poor drafting and bad luck with AP, Apeness, Bennell, Simpson, Morabito and Pitt hasn’t helped. I don’t think Ross could have played any more youth when we were challenging but after playing Suban in round 1 he lost me. I know it’s a minor thing but it showed me that he had no idea of where the club was at. Playing Suban over a youngster after his pre-season was an inexcusable selection. You shouldn’t need to have 30 touches 3 weeks in a row to get game. Youth over underachieving role players should be the bare minimum. Hopefully now RTB realises that we only won 4 games last year and has an eye on the future.

Our youth is the major concern and I still have no idea know if Weller, Langdon, Tucker, Blakely or anyone else is going to be at least consistent B grade players. Sheridan and Crozier need to be moved on, they are Suban 2.0’s and just keep other players that might make it out of the team. Maybe a little rough on Crozier, but for FFS don’t play him at half forward where he’s been tried and failed numerous times!!!

Fyfe leaving is an another worry. Yes it may help us rebuild quicker and we could get lucky but he offers so much to the club. We need a strong leader and someone good in front of the camera after the beltings and he’s that guy. Who will captain if he goes? Sunny? Neale? Honestly… I couldn’t see us not becoming the joke team of the comp for at least another five years. Fyfe has lots of other qualities too of course and hopefully we can keep him. But why would he stay though, really?
What a difference a day makes hey.

I know we all want to get world beaters every draft, and it's disappointing when we get one wrong, but to keep it in perspective this comes courtesy of the Eagles board. We have not been anywhere near as bad as some would have us believe in drafting, recruiting OR playing youth.

Sorry if this doesn't fit the narrative, but it you were an West Coast fan you would have far more to be upset about...

upload_2017-4-9_12-13-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-9_12-13-3.png
    upload_2017-4-9_12-13-3.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I know we all want to get world beaters every draft, and it's disappointing when we get one wrong, but to keep it in perspective this comes courtesy of the Eagles board. We have not been anywhere near as bad as some would have us believe in drafting, recruiting OR playing youth.

Sorry if this doesn't fit the narrative, but it you were an West Coast fan you would have far more to be upset about...

View attachment 355493

Did you highlight Freo or did the Godfather?

View attachment 355493
A few points of order.

The table compiler really should have separated drafted players from traded players. There is always a risk with drafted players, traded players should always be a 'lock', ie. players who are automatic plug and play members of the list. We shouldn't be surprised when traded players 'debut'.

Looking at that list (2011+):

Traded players: 9. No. to 'debut': 7.

Drafted players: 37. No. to debut: 23.

Fourteen of those 46 players have left the club with only Hannath playing more than 6 games.

Of the drafted players to debut, Moller and Ballard were gifted a debut in our 'bye' rounds, so the no. to genuinely debut falls to 21, slightly more than 50% of the draftees.

Of the traded players, D. Pearce and Dawson contributed nearly 200 games. Great servants of the club but now hopefully consigned to history. Going forward the 'games played' number slips back towards the middle of the pile if you disregard DP and Zac D.

My focus in the narrative was 2009-2014. I made it clear that it was too early to make any meaningful judgement on the players drafted or traded in from 2015 and 2016.

I lamented the misses from high draft picks (top 40) and trades over this period. Those misses may have cost us plenty in 2013, 14 and 15. They will continue to haunt us for a long time to come, last night's glorious result notwithstanding.

You're right though, the West Coast Eagles are dead man walking. They just don't know it yet. Delicious.

A few points of order.

The table compiler really should have separated drafted players from traded players. There is always a risk with drafted players, traded players should always be a 'lock', ie. players who are automatic plug and play members of the list. We shouldn't be surprised when traded players 'debut'.

Looking at that list (2011+):

Traded players: 9. No. to 'debut': 7.

Drafted players: 37. No. to debut: 23.

Fourteen of those 46 players have left the club with only Hannath playing more than 6 games.

Of the drafted players to debut, Moller and Ballard were gifted a debut in our 'bye' rounds, so the no. to genuinely debut falls to 21, slightly more than 50% of the draftees.

Of the traded players, D. Pearce and Dawson contributed nearly 200 games. Great servants of the club but now hopefully consigned to history. Going forward the 'games played' number slips back towards the middle of the pile if you disregard DP and Zac D.

My focus in the narrative was 2009-2014. I made it clear that it was too early to make any meaningful judgement on the players drafted or traded in from 2015 and 2016.

I lamented the misses from high draft picks (top 40) and trades over this period. Those misses may have cost us plenty in 2013, 14 and 15. They will continue to haunt us for a long time to come, last night's glorious result notwithstanding.

You're right though, the West Coast Eagles are dead man walking. They just don't know it yet. Delicious.
Just to clarify youmewe I wasn't having a go at you. The narrative I was referring to was just the general buzz around the media and on here that seems to have become "fact".

We are not the worst by any measure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back