Dahlhaus appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given he's hardly played forward for years I'm not sure that's relevant.

Amazing a guy who has given so much is now the subject of a virtual playing-assessment assassination highlighting everything he isn't good at and forgetting everything he gives us. I'd hate to think what people would say of Daniel Cross or Dale Morris in the same situation.
Fair point.

Just think they should try and inject more silk into the side.

Given he's hardly played forward for years I'm not sure that's relevant.

Amazing a guy who has given so much is now the subject of a virtual playing-assessment assassination highlighting everything he isn't good at and forgetting everything he gives us. I'd hate to think what people would say of Daniel Cross or Dale Morris in the same situation.

It’s perfectly understandable for us to rationalise his loss by pointing out his failings.

If I’m being brutally honest I have been saying to my family that Dal looks fat for the last two years. Are you interested in a bet whether we will be reading he has lost 5 kilos and is flying at his new club?

Well if we only offered him 3 years unlike 4 years at Geelong, pretty sure you would all jump at Geelong.

That's one year where he is earning an extra $500k. That's a lot of money.

Once his years up at Geelong, he will most likely not play football again. Missing out on serious cash if he said no.

It’s perfectly understandable for us to rationalise his loss by pointing out his failings.

If I’m being brutally honest I have been saying to my family that Dal looks fat for the last two years. Are you interested in a bet whether we will be reading he has lost 5 kilos and is flying at his new club?
He's gone regardless, but there were rumours he was playing with an injury this year which would explain why his numbers were still down.

I am perplexed by our list management - 2 years to Campbell & Roberts, long term deal for Adams who was homesick two years ago and is always injured, extensions to Prudden and Collins and now 2 years to Jong while letting Dahl go.

Unless we've got something big planned - and we're not that attractive a destination right now - we're losing a player coming into their prime for pocket change.

Bevo made his name as a coach by playing players to their strengths and now all we do is focus on the weaknesses of a player who has bled for the club. Not a good look. Dahl is ahead of quite a fair few on our list who will be in the red white and blue next year.

He's gone regardless, but there were rumours he was playing with an injury this year which would explain why his numbers were still down.

I am perplexed by our list management - 2 years to Campbell & Roberts, long term deal for Adams who was homesick two years ago and is always injured, extensions to Prudden and Collins and now 2 years to Jong while letting Dahl go.

Unless we've got something big planned - and we're not that attractive a destination right now - we're losing a player coming into their prime for pocket change.

Bevo made his name as a coach by playing players to their strengths and now all we do is focus on the weaknesses of a player who has bled for the club. Not a good look. Dahl is ahead of quite a fair few on our list who will be in the red white and blue next year.
Not sure how valid it is comparing deals made by JMac with the first significant stamp that Power has made on his tenure at the Dogs. However if, as I think you're implying, the deals have a lot to do with Bevo's wishes (and the list manager is just executing them) then it's a fair question.

The more time passes, the better perspective we get on 2016 and the more remarkable the achievement now seems. Bevo inherited a list that had lots of holes, weaknesses and injuries but somehow got a flag out of it. However I don't think there's any doubt he would have had his own idea of what sort of list he hoped to end up with - the mix of skills, character, physiques and other attributes - so it doesn't surprise me that the club is progressively re-shaping that list. It may even accelerate over the next year or so.

I'm sure he would have looked at Dahlhaus's strengths as well as his weaknesses when having discussions with Power about whether it was worth trying to keep him. If it's true that he was discreetly shopped around in 2017 then Bevo might have made up his mind over a year ago anyway.

Sometimes it is beneficial for both parties that someone moves on.
Why do people constantly look for a scapegoat?
Why do people constantly slag the club?
Why do people constantly slag individuals that leave?

If we can get a first rounder as compensation, sorry to see you go Dahl, good luck in the future and happy days.

Not sure how valid it is comparing deals made by JMac with the first significant stamp that Power has made on his tenure at the Dogs. However if, as I think you're implying, the deals have a lot to do with Bevo's wishes (and the list manager is just executing them) then it's a fair question.

The more time passes, the better perspective we get on 2016 and the more remarkable the achievement now seems. Bevo inherited a list that had lots of holes, weaknesses and injuries but somehow got a flag out of it. However I don't think there's any doubt he would have had his own idea of what sort of list he hoped to end up with - the mix of skills, character, physiques and other attributes - so it doesn't surprise me that the club is progressively re-shaping that list. It may even accelerate over the next year or so.

I'm sure he would have looked at Dahlhaus's strengths as well as his weaknesses when having discussions with Power about whether it was worth trying to keep him. If it's true that he was discreetly shopped around in 2017 then Bevo might have made up his mind over a year ago anyway.
fair points. Dahl's gone and that's that but there are still questions that need to be asked of the current administration. Bevo is certainly not infallible, as the disastrous Wood as a forward experiment can attest to. I'd be very interested to know what Jong signed for because I really don't see him as a best 22 player this year or next - if he's on a low contract for depth that's ok but I still see a (very good) athlete rather than a footballer.

TBH I think we play our best football when players are in their best position which means Wood & JJ behind the ball, Cordy back, Gowers forward etc.

I've been thinking about the specifics of what makes certain players become so beloved to us faithful supporters. All players get the same opportunity once drafted to endear themselves to the fans but for varying reasons not all can achieve it. If you had to list these attributes, how would that list look?

• A young man that is so appreciative of the opportunity afforded to them by the Club that drafts him
  • Someone who works their arse off on the training track to gain the respect of their peers and better himself
  • A person who respects the history of the Club and those who came before him
  • A guy that embraces the off-field side of the industry and becomes a role model to the younger supporter base
  • A player that who never shirks a contest, who puts their head over the ball every time, bleeds for the jumper and leaves everything out on the field
  • An individual that maximizes his impact on the Club despite any deficiencies they may have
  • A man who is humble and creates an infectious love of the Club, embracing and strengthening a culture
  • A human who stays loyal and strong in times of turmoil
Luke Dahlhaus was one of the special ones. He met all of the criteria above and then some. He was undrafted, undersized and lacked skill. He was an underdog in every sense of the word but through sheer determination he made himself a key player in a Premiership. He will always be one of the very special Bulldogs to me and it will no doubt sting to see him in a different set of colours.

Having said that, I'm comfortable with the Club's decision. We offered him a contract for three more years with the Club he loves and he has knocked it back. We've had players in the past receive bigger financial offers from other clubs and choose to stay. West, Smith, Johnson, Darcy all had big contracts put in front of them and instead took pay cuts to remain at the WO. And then there's Granty. A guy who walked into the Club right in the middle of near extinction, watched Malthouse walk, watched Wheeler get sacked, watched Joyce get sacked, watched us almost fold again in '96 and then had the godfather of all offers put in front of him. He could have become the highest paid player in the comp, been Captain of an exciting new franchise and competed for multiple Premierships. Who would begrudge him leaving? We were an absolute shambles of a football club at that point. He chose to stay and for many of us, remains our favourite Bulldog of all time. I wish Lukey D had made a different choice so he could be up there with the aforementioned heroes but sadly he has become another victim of the "Disease of More".

Thanks for giving everything you had Luke, forever a Premiership player

I've been thinking about the specifics of what makes certain players become so beloved to us faithful supporters. All players get the same opportunity once drafted to endear themselves to the fans but for varying reasons not all can achieve it. If you had to list these attributes, how would that list look?

• A young man that is so appreciative of the opportunity afforded to them by the Club that drafts him
  • Someone who works their arse off on the training track to gain the respect of their peers and better himself
  • A person who respects the history of the Club and those who came before him
  • A guy that embraces the off-field side of the industry and becomes a role model to the younger supporter base
  • A player that who never shirks a contest, who puts their head over the ball every time, bleeds for the jumper and leaves everything out on the field
  • An individual that maximizes his impact on the Club despite any deficiencies they may have
  • A man who is humble and creates an infectious love of the Club, embracing and strengthening a culture
  • A human who stays loyal and strong in times of turmoil
Luke Dahlhaus was one of the special ones. He met all of the criteria above and then some. He was undrafted, undersized and lacked skill. He was an underdog in every sense of the word but through sheer determination he made himself a key player in a Premiership. He will always be one of the very special Bulldogs to me and it will no doubt sting to see him in a different set of colours.

Having said that, I'm comfortable with the Club's decision. We offered him a contract for three more years with the Club he loves and he has knocked it back. We've had players in the past receive bigger financial offers from other clubs and choose to stay. West, Smith, Johnson, Darcy all had big contracts put in front of them and instead took pay cuts to remain at the WO. And then there's Granty. A guy who walked into the Club right in the middle of near extinction, watched Malthouse walk, watched Wheeler get sacked, watched Joyce get sacked, watched us almost fold again in '96 and then had the godfather of all offers put in front of him. He could have become the highest paid player in the comp, been Captain of an exciting new franchise and competed for multiple Premierships. Who would begrudge him leaving? We were an absolute shambles of a football club at that point. He chose to stay and for many of us, remains our favourite Bulldog of all time. I wish Lukey D had made a different choice so he could be up there with the aforementioned heroes but sadly he has become another victim of the "Disease of More".

Very fair post. No denying Dahl gave us a lot in many different ways, especially in the years up to and including 2016.
For whatever reasons it wasn't quite as evident the last 1-2 years.

I believe Bob Murphy turned his back on a decent offer from Hawthorn when he was at his peak too.

We offered him a contract for three more years with the Club he loves and he has knocked it back. We've had players in the past receive bigger financial offers from other clubs and choose to stay. West, Smith, Johnson, Darcy all had big contracts put in front of them and instead took pay cuts to remain at the WO. And then there's Granty. A guy who walked into the Club right in the middle of near extinction, watched Malthouse walk, watched Wheeler get sacked, watched Joyce get sacked, watched us almost fold again in '96 and then had the godfather of all offers put in front of him. He could have become the highest paid player in the comp, been Captain of an exciting new franchise and competed for multiple Premierships. Who would begrudge him leaving? We were an absolute shambles of a football club at that point. He chose to stay and for many of us, remains our favourite Bulldog of all time. I wish Lukey D had made a different choice so he could be up there with the aforementioned heroes but sadly he has become another victim of the "Disease of More".

Dahlhaus is from a different generation to West/Johnson/Darcy/Grant.

Had we been able sustain success and keep playing finals these past two years, I think he would have stuck around next year and beyond "for the love of the jumper". But when we fell from finals and started copping some beltings, "the love of the jumper" suddenly didn't mean as much to Luke as it once did.

Luke is entitled by the current rules to exercise free agency. But for me it says more about his change of devotion to the club than it points to any problems with our current list manager and recent decisions about not paying overs for Dahlhaus going forward.

I am perplexed by our list management - 2 years to Campbell & Roberts, long term deal for Adams who was homesick two years ago and is always injured, extensions to Prudden and Collins
All good reasons why I'm glad to see the back of Jason McCartney.
and now 2 years to Jong while letting Dahl go.
I have no problem with 2 years to Jong in the current circumstances. If a bunch of our under-21s step up dramatically in 2019, we could trade Jong for something of value to us in the 2019 draft. If they are slower to develop, we get the use of Jong to crash in and take the hits in stead of our kids.
Bevo made his name as a coach by playing players to their strengths and now all we do is focus on the weaknesses of a player who has bled for the club. Not a good look.
The nay-sayers be damned, if you don't want to be part of those around here who focus on weaknesses of a player - then don't! Tell us more about how the cup is half full, not half empty.
Dahl is ahead of quite a fair few on our list who will be in the red white and blue next year.
Let's see.

On 2018 output whilst in the midfield, I'd have these guys ahead of Dahlhaus:

Macrae
Bontempelli
Hunter
Dunkley
McLean
Daniel

I'd have Wallis on about par with him for midfield output. Libba by his absence from 2018 can be neither ahead or behind Dahlhaus.

I'd have Dahlhaus v.2018 as only ahead of these guys for a midfield role:

Lipinski (usually plays on a wing)
Dale (usually plays on a wing)
Richards (usually plays HBF)
Johannisen (usually plays HBF or wing)
Jong
Webb
Honeychurch

The last two names on that list I don't expect to be playing for us in 2019 and we honestly aren't missing much in saying that.

So who are the guys that will be playing for us in 2019 that you think Dahlhaus would be ahead of as a midfielder?

As our 7th best midfielder this year, had we offered him a bigger deal than we did, it would have been a poor list management decision.

The nay-sayers be damned, if you don't want to be part of those around here who focus on weaknesses of a player - then don't! Tell us more about how the cup is half full, not half empty.
I have been.

Let's see.

On 2018 output whilst in the midfield, I'd have these guys ahead of Dahlhaus:

Macrae
Bontempelli
Hunter
Dunkley
McLean
Daniel

I'd have Wallis on about par with him for midfield output. Libba by his absence from 2018 can be neither ahead or behind Dahlhaus.
We're at a minus 11 differential in clearances when Wallis is in the midfield (as per the ruck/mid article posted a few times).
Wallis plays mostly forward or not at all. His lack of speed and spread kills us. He is behind plenty as a mid and his role is a reason he is considering his options.

I'd have Dahlhaus v.2018 as only ahead of these guys for a midfield role:

Lipinski (usually plays on a wing)
Dale (usually plays on a wing)
Richards (usually plays HBF)
Johannisen (usually plays HBF or wing)
Jong
Webb
Honeychurch

The last two names on that list I don't expect to be playing for us in 2019 and we honestly aren't missing much in saying that.

So who are the guys that will be playing for us in 2019 that you think Dahlhaus would be ahead of as a midfielder?
Lipinski is slow so not comparable, Dale plays high forward not wing, JJ is a terrible forward, a mediocre wing or an excellent running defender. As I noted earlier, we play better when we play our players to their strength so I'd rather see JJ play behind the ball.

Dahl is well ahead of the last three on the list - miles ahead, especially when he's not playing injured.
Modern football is about pressure - it's Richmond's trademark and it was ours in 2016. Dahlhaus is elite in that area and I believe losing him will hurt us in that regard. Again, Cross was slow and would only kick as a last resort but his effort made him a club champion more than once.

Late in the year we has Porter listed as an emergency as our midfield stocks were so bare he was the only fit player on our list available. We had, at times, selected 14 defenders (Bevo mentioned this in an interview). Our list balance is not great from both an age profile and a positional profile so I'd rather keep the guys who can play in positions we have little depth in. Additionally, with question marks over Schache & Boyd's defensive efforts having a guy with the flexibility to lockdown a running defender would help us too.

That's why I'd be happier to lose Adams than I would be to lose Dahl. Rhylee will play forward/mid and I really rate him but he's a kid and will take time. Wallis as a midfielder I still have doubts on and the stats show this, he is a solid person and tries but he's slow and I'd have Dunkley in the centre ahead of him.

I'll change my mind if we somehow get an expensive A grader in - but even then I'm sure we could have found a way to keep a guy who is 26, in the age bracket we are desperate for, and cost us only a little extra to retain.

We're at a minus 11 differential in clearances when Wallis is in the midfield (as per the ruck/mid article posted a few times). Wallis plays mostly forward or not at all. His lack of speed and spread kills us. He is behind plenty as a mid and his role is a reason he is considering his options.
I'm not sure that the numbers for Dahlhaus would be anything but in the negative either. But my point was that Dahlahus wasn't behind Wallis and we agree on that.
Lipinski is slow so not comparable, Dale plays high forward not wing, JJ is a terrible forward, a mediocre wing or an excellent running defender. As I noted earlier, we play better when we play our players to their strength so I'd rather see JJ play behind the ball.
The Essendon poster who posts the starting configurations of our team from time to time had Dale starting on the wing plenty of times (when he was on the park). But all of these guys aren't really comparable with Dahlhaus, as we both agree.
Dahl is well ahead of the last three on the list - miles ahead, especially when he's not playing injured.
I don't buy this "playing injured". Did he look injured when he played against Geelong? No, which is why that doesn't cut it for the rest of the year as an excuse.
Modern football is about pressure - it's Richmond's trademark and it was ours in 2016. Dahlhaus is elite in that area and I believe losing him will hurt us in that regard. Again, Cross was slow and would only kick as a last resort but his effort made him a club champion more than once.
He was elite but his tackle numbers have been in decline since 2016. I don't think he would be rated elite on his 2018 pressure output.

So correct me if I have this wrong, but I think we agree that Dahlhaus would have been at most our 7th best midfielder out of our current list. Potentially 8th if Libba was in the mix. That position in our pecking order just doesn't warrant 4 years at 550k.

I agree that we need a deeper midfield, guys like Webb and Dale will probably never be what we wanted them to be in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure that the numbers for Dahlhaus would be anything but in the negative either. But my point was that Dahlahus wasn't behind Wallis and we agree on that.

The Essendon poster who posts the starting configurations of our team from time to time had Dale starting on the wing plenty of times (when he was on the park). But all of these guys aren't really comparable with Dahlhaus, as we both agree.

I don't buy this "playing injured". Did he look injured when he played against Geelong? No, which is why that doesn't cut it for the rest of the year as an excuse.

He was elite but his tackle numbers have been in decline since 2016. I don't think he would be rated elite on his 2018 pressure output.

So correct me if I have this wrong, but I think we agree that Dahlhaus would have been at most our 7th best midfielder out of our current list. Potentially 8th if Libba was in the mix. That position in our pecking order just doesn't warrant 4 years at 550k.

I agree that we need a deeper midfield, guys like Webb and Dale will probably never be what we wanted them to be in that regard.
We'll have to agree to disagree - a team with arguably the most high-profile trio of mids in the comp and an absolute superstar KPF can afford to pay him what he wants yet the 13th side in the competition with a bunch of kids on the list (under the 2 year mandated salary) can't find the cash/extra year for a 26 year old after the coach publically says we need mature talent.

Something isn't right.

Ahead of who??? If you look at the players he's competing against I'd rank him above two only. I'm talking the smaller and/or inside mids:

Libba
Hunter
Maclean
Dunkley
Daniel
Wallis
Dahlhaus
Jong
Honeychurch

You could even argue that Jong has more upside if he can ever manage to play a full season.

The unfortunate part is that while he would probably stay about 7th best midfielder (or decline further) if he stayed at the Dogs, he will probably improve his output noticeably at Geelong simply because he will have more to play for, more to prove and will have shed whatever baggage is troubling him at VUWO.

That on its own won't mean it was wrong to let him go. In fact it might prove it was the right decision for all parties.

Ahead of who??? If you look at the players he's competing against I'd rank him above two only. I'm talking the smaller and/or inside mids:

Libba
Hunter
Maclean
Dunkley
Daniel
Wallis
Dahlhaus
Jong
Honeychurch
Well Dunkley is ~190cm and has shown 4 weeks of form as an inside mid, is worse by foot than Dahl and isn't quick so not sure that's remotely comparable.
Daniel is a mid? He played his best football this year as a defender.
As above, he's well ahead of Wallis and Libba's form next year is a maybe. He's miles ahead of Jong & HC.

If we offered close (but under) Geelong's terms I believe he would have taken it. This is getting repetitive so I'll stop it now.

We'll have to agree to disagree - a team with arguably the most high-profile trio of mids in the comp and an absolute superstar KPF can afford to pay him what he wants yet the 13th side in the competition with a bunch of kids on the list (under the 2 year mandated salary) can't find the cash/extra year for a 26 year old after the coach publically says we need mature talent.

Something isn't right.

It’s clearly a disconnect on a personal level as well as the money issues. The club is happy to let him go.

Damien Barrett said it's cos our club is s**t so it must be true cos everything that flog says is gospel.

I'm disappointed, I still rated Dahl, has been over maligned. I'm not disappointed with him though, I'd only be disappointed with him if he went on the same contract he has now at the Dogs. We will miss him. He's a ball winner and will do very well at Geelong

Something isn't right.
I don't think it's a question of finding money, I think we simply offered what we felt he deserved.

Also I'll disagree strongly that Dunkley is a worse kick than Dahl. Dunks has a lot more penetration in his kicks, and while he is prone to the odd shank, he doesn't execute the up and unders that Dahl does on a consistent basis.

His kicking is bottom 5 in the league, and we are better without him. Come on you blokes, do you want us to improve or have another s**t season losing members next year? We are going forward by offloading players like Dahlhaus, Collins, Roughead etc..

I loved Dahlhaus, but with such poor kicking he's no longer hurting opposition teams and a four year deal was asking too much.

I wish him all the best and will never boo him or any of our premiership players should they leave for greener pastures :thumbsu:

I loved Dahlhaus, but with such poor kicking he's no longer hurting opposition teams and a four year deal was asking too much.

I wish him all the best and will never boo him or any of our premiership players should they leave for greener pastures :thumbsu:
Greener financial pastures perhaps.

Not necessarily greener footballing pastures. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back